Fiddleback Model Specs w/ pic reference/comparison

No Hunter or Duke, but here's a comparison of a Bushfinger to some bigger models:
  • Bushfinger
  • Bushcrafter Sr.
  • Leuku
  • Woodsman
  • Camp Knife (production)
38961195644_090253aed3_b.jpg

Upon unboxing, my initial impression of the Bushcraft Tasker was that it had a really long handle relative to its blade length. After some use, the longer handle feels like it provides increased control for fine or detailed work, probably not unlike the Carver.

Dimensions are:
OAL: 8 3/8"
Blade: 3 1/2"
Handle: 4 7/8"
Weight: 5.1 oz

The balance point is right on the second set of pins.

The Bushcraft Tasker's blade shape is quite different than that of a Bushcrafter. It's really closer to a Bush Hermit, but about half an inch shorter.

(One of these things is not like the others...)
24880282887_635561f274_b.jpg

All five of these knives are so close in overall length, this image looks very similar to the one above, but this one has the knives aligned at their butt.
39717881192_3a66c94e94_b.jpg

In a departure from most similar Fiddleback knives, and certainly those in the above comparative images, the Bushcraft Tasker's handle is absent a finger groove immediately behind the guard. I noticed this most prominently in a hammer grip when choked up fully on the handle and with a paring-style grip. It seemed neither an advantage nor disadvantage in the former, just something that was noticeable when switching between the Tasker and another knife. It became less noticeable as I used the Tasker without switching back and forth between the other knives. For paring, though, the absent finger groove seemed to provide a bit of additional control.

The Bushcraft Tasker's curved handle reminds me of a Bushboot, although the BT's curve is more subtle. It provides options for hand placement that feel consistent along its length. Like most Fiddlebacks, no matter how you hold this knife, it's comfortable in the hand.
39718004962_e156570dc1_b.jpg

The Bushboot's shorter handle and more extreme curve serve to lock it into my hand. The Tasker provides a more "open" feel.
38851280185_06a88fbe69_o.jpg

In actual use, I ended up comparing the BT to a Kephart in AEB-L, which, by the way, is awesome! This Kephart cuts into wood (and I'm sure other things) more like a 3/32" blade, maybe even better (at .118, it's closer to 1/8 than 3/32). I'm very interested to see how AEB-L holds up to hard, real-world use. A more appropriate head-to-head comparison may be to a Bushcrafter or Bush Hermit, but I really wanted to try out this Kephart.

While the Bushcraft Tasker and Kephart each felt very good in my hand, they both felt very different. The sides of the BT's handle are flatter; just behind the first set of pins, the BT is about one quarter inch larger in circumference and about one eighth of an inch taller than the Kephart. In my hand, the Kephart felt more natural. That's not to say the BT was uncomfortable or anything, in fact, both knives performed very well at notching, feathersticking, and everything else I tried with them. The Kephart did seem to make finer, smoother and more precise cuts, but I attribute that to differences between the steel.
24880280997_6fee3631d2_o.jpg

I didn't baton with the Tasker; I prefer longer blades for that since I generally start with wide logs, but the 3 1/2" blade seems ideal for all other bushcraft tasks.

This thread is a wonderful resource, and I thank the folks who put in the time and effort to compile all this information.

Would anyone happen to have a side-by-side comparison of a Babyboot and a Lil Lady? I browsed through the pics but didn’t see one.

This thread is a wonderful resource, and I thank the folks who put in the time and effort to compile all this information.

Would anyone happen to have a side-by-side comparison of a Babyboot and a Lil Lady? I browsed through the pics but didn’t see one.

This is the one pic I remember. There are probably more out there but I hope this helps.

295D7374-A10E-4152-8129-AB0E29A09DC2.jpeg

Awesome contribution to this thread R RobbieB ! Thanks for the thoughts on the BT. It's an intriguing model.

This thread also just reminded me that I need a Lil Lady... VANCE VANCE if a Lil lady in 3/32 or better, that new .040 AEB-L with Osage over white and nat would happen to show up don't even list it, just send it my way! Hah! ;)

Last edited:
Awesome contribution to this thread R RobbieB ! Thanks for the thoughts on the BT. It's an intriguing model.

This thread also just reminded me that I need a Lil Lady... VANCE VANCE if a Lil lady in 3/32 or better, that new .040 AEB-L, with Osage over white and nat would happen to show up don't even list it, just send it my way! Hah! ;)
VANCE VANCE I concur here and there are a number of folks who would have interest in 3/32 (or thinner with the AEB-L) Lil Ladies, because they asked me how I like mine or if I want to sell it, or if I saw any others around. Just sharing in case you want some knife selling input. Probably a handful of em would do for starters. :)

Sylvrfalcen(No Swedge) and MiniMuk
kolwqtK.jpg

This comparison helped me understand the Sylvrfalcen a lot better, as the regular swedge makes it look a lot stranger in design than it really is. The Sylvrfalcen is slightly straighter, slightly smaller and clipped but otherwise darn close to a Muk.
No one asked about this, but it might help someone.

For those who may not have noticed, The Outpost now has a “Fiddleback Model Examples” page which has pictures of each different model (in various configurations from previous stock that has been sold) for our viewing pleasure. ;)

The real life, in-hand comparisons here are outstanding, though.

Would I be able to get comparison pics of a Bushcraft Tasker and a Bushboot in hand? I’m looking to get my 2nd Fiddleback blade (mostly EDC use) and all I can do is compare numbers with my Bushnub.

Back