Fiddleback User Pics

Just received this today, thanks to ridnovir. It's my first Fiddleback and my first real handmade, quality knife, I'm almost afraid it's too nice to be put to use...

congrats and welcome aboard!

looks like a little bit older one

send it to me & I will use it & send it back to you

congrats and welcome aboard!

looks like a little bit older one

send it to me & I will use it & send it back to you

Seems like a good plan lol

Now I'm after something smaller for everyday pocket duty. Can't decide on a specific model though. BC Jr, maybe Esquire, or Bushnub... So many choices!

Rat snake. He was climbing up my front door when I got home today.

Cannot tell, was the head still attached to his body? Is that type of snake poisonous or good to have around to get rid of the vermin?

I heard something the other day, here in VA it is now illegal to kill copperheads unless threatened, or any other other snakes (I will need to research better to verify that statement), are they dying off or endangered?

Elaphe obsoleta obsoleta
Hands down one of the most beneficial snakes to have around. Most can be free handed gently with no issue.
Have not heard of any changes in Va. law on Copperheads but Rattlesnakes are protected. Stands to reason any personal threat is justification to eliminate the snake. I take them out if found close to a residence but leave them be in more wilderness areas.

Nice knife and pic!

cbach8tw- what part of Va are you in? If east of Richmond, learn to identify habitat and appearance of water moccasins- a good bit more aggressive and dangerous than Copperheads.
Bill

Cannot tell, was the head still attached to his body? Is that type of snake poisonous or good to have around to get rid of the vermin?

I heard something the other day, here in VA it is now illegal to kill copperheads unless threatened, or any other other snakes (I will need to research better to verify that statement), are they dying off or endangered?
It was alive and released a safe distance away from the house, it was just checking out every angle of the knife. My wife likes snakes about as much as VANCE VANCE does so the “safe distance” was for the snakes benefit.

Imal
Elaphe obsoleta obsoleta
Hands down one of the most beneficial snakes to have around. Most can be free handed gently with no issue.
Have not heard of any changes in Va. law on Copperheads but Rattlesnakes are protected. Stands to reason any personal threat is justification to eliminate the snake. I take them out if found close to a residence but leave them be in more wilderness areas.

Nice knife and pic!

cbach8tw- what part of Va are you in? If east of Richmond, learn to identify habitat and appearance of water moccasins- a good bit more aggressive and dangerous than Copperheads.
Bill
@imalterna, near Fredericksburg. We also have relatives near Lake Gaston off 85, so get some snakes coming out of the water and near docks. Are water moccasins' natural habitat lakes or more swamps? I have also heard they are more aggressive.

http://www.virginiaherpetologicalso...s/eastern-cottonmouth/eastern_cottonmouth.php
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/snakes/default.html
Good site to learn about them. They prefer slow/backwater(lake coves would qualify), weedy and branches. I disagree with the statement about not being aggressive ;) They are very territorial and will pursue someone who gets too close. Knowledge VS fear. No need to be afraid but always good to know what to watch for & what to do if an accident should happen.

Bill

voBztng.jpg

Old School Fiddleback Forge Hiking Buddy

FFCn4XH.jpg

Chicken of the Woods (edible) (if identified correctly)

yhqzNkA.jpg

Rock scramble

kHXiHCd.jpg

Summit at 6600'

Last edited:
voBztng.jpg

Old School Fiddleback Forge Hiking Buddy

FFCn4XH.jpg

Chicken of the Woods (edible) (if identified correctly)

yhqzNkA.jpg

Rock scramble

kHXiHCd.jpg

Summit at 6600'
Love that first picture of the Hiking Buddy with the Mycena mushrooms! Jealous of the chickens... wish we got those in Colorado.

Love that first picture of the Hiking Buddy with the Mycena mushrooms! Jealous of the chickens... wish we got those in Colorado.

Thanks, I was hoping that would catch your attention! There were all sorts of mushrooms on this hike. We found another group of very small orange ones (about the size of those Mycena) which I have not seen before, growing in clusters.

LRPqFr6.jpg

0eMRlJJ.jpg

Thanks, I was hoping that would catch your attention! There were all sorts of mushrooms on this hike. We found another group of very small orange ones (about the size of those Mycena) which I have not seen before, growing in clusters.

LRPqFr6.jpg

0eMRlJJ.jpg
Those are likely also Mycena. It's a diverse group of mushrooms. Thanks for sharing.

Back