Fiddlebacks and Food

Leuku it is. I typically gravitate towards more subdued micarta, or wood. But this one spoke to me. It looks even better in person.

As for the steak. It's basically caveman stuff. Build fire, add meat, eat.

Hardwood coals, and a good pile of them. Rake them flat. Toss on meat. Wait until you see blood start to bubble out the top. Flip. And cook another 3-5 minutes depending on the thickness.
A steak with good marbling works the best. Especially in the beginning.

The most important step. Here or with any steak. Is to let it rest for fifteen minutes after it comes off the heat.

***My apologies for the non FBF content. I promise I'll work on that as soon as I see bare ground and my wood pile again. I just traded for a sweet Bushcrafter. It looks to be a great Camp Knife. So expect to see it sooner rather than later. These were just good shots for the discussion.

A lot of times, I just buy a roast and slice it up, It's good eating for a $1.89 per pound.
IMG_4133-XL.jpg

That way you can control the thickness,
IMG_4134-XL.jpg

Once you get it dialed in,
IMG_4144-XL.jpg

It's pretty hard to screw up,
IMG_4149-XL.jpg

A Log Cabin style fire will net you a lot of coals at the same time. And works well for this.
More coals are better than less coals. The meat sucks up an amazing amount of heat.

Cook 'till blood, flip, 3 to 5, rest for 15 eat.
Where most folks fail. Is they panic and flip too soon thinking it is going to burn.
Thanks for the walk-through, LV! I will be giving that a try my next camping trip!

Dinner on the deck earlier. I told her a few weeks ago that if she would step up her school game that I would do a special dinner for her. She's really put forth a lot of effort and has done much better. I saw that lobster tails (her fav) were on sale as I was walking through the store. She's asked when can we eat outside again a few times over the winter, and today the weather was nice. .. Together it all felt sot of providential, so I went with it. :)
20180421_194151.jpg

20180421_194755.jpg

20180421_195000.jpg

Last edited:
Back