Fiddlebacks and Food

Oh Man! It's time to try some..May I suggest trying Crawfish Etouffee as an opener to this wonderful crustacean! I lived in Baton Rouge many years ago and this was one of my favorites.
I make the best etouffee there is. Matter of fact I’m going to make a shrimp and crawfish one tonight. I base mine on “Pam’s Shrimp Etouffee” if you google this recipe. Then I modded it slightly.

I make the best etouffee there is. Matter of fact I’m going to make a shrimp and crawfish one tonight. I base mine on “Pam’s Shrimp Etouffee” if you google this recipe. Then I modded it slightly.
Best I ever had was in Houma, La in 1978 at my Navy buddy's house... Bro I concede that you are no doubt a good cook but There's no way your Crawfish Etouffee is better than mine...Maybe we do a cook off and of course a huge party!

Ahhh
Do you stuff the heads?
Excellent Question..Which no doubt you know requires a lengthy prologue, involving the history of the two distinct cultural phenomena, and it can only be described this way, that came about as a result of more influences that most folks outside on Louisiana would expect. So the question is "Do you stuff the heads?" which begs more questioning..Would stuffing the craw fish heads be Cajun or Creole influenced?
My first taste of Craw Fish Etouffee was like I said in Houma, La while visiting a Navy buddy and his family. So the heads we not stuffed but the "tamale" was used in the dish to add the remarkable taste not found outside of Louisiana. The second time I enjoyed Craw Fish Etouffee was at Commanders Palace in your home town! The heads were stuffed and that was a nice surprise! Back to the original question "Do you stuff the heads? As you know were approaching the craw fish season if not already in it. Even though I tend to prefer rustic cooking over classical when I can get live Craw fish I do stuff the heads..When I can't I am forced to buy the frozen and shipped from china version. Not my favorite but it'll do in a pinch, I of course do not!

I've lived either in or within 30 minutes of New Orleans my entire life; most of that time spent in between (geographically) Cajun country and Creole New Orleans. In the last 10 years, I've eaten Vietnamese food at probably a 20:1 ratio to Creole or Cajun cuisine. Etoufees and bisques and sauce piquantes and all of those incredible, wonderful foods are always "event food" for me. I never think about them when I'm looking to grab a bite to eat or heading out to a restaurant. It's always a wedding or a funeral or an anniversary or a friend coming from out of town that brings out the "traditionals". Crawfish, shrimp, or crab boils are either the day of the Endymion parade or Easter Sunday. I've got at least a dozen Cajun or Creole cookbooks (I highly recommend River Road Recipes to anyone looking) that hardly ever get used. I guess I've always gravitated towards the huge amounts of Sicilian restaurants and po-boy joints throughout the area. I can't cook any of the traditionals worth a shit, either. I used to be able to boil a kick ass batch of crawfish, but the prices have gotten so damn high in the last few years that I haven't done one in 6-7 years. I guess I need to get in my lane and get in touch with my "roots".

little @Cohutta deconstruction of a pork chop T-Bone
2v2JBFTJCxurAoi.jpg

2v2JBFVSqxurAoi.jpg

EPIC FAIL!!

Kylie was making some "finger foods" to take to our Easter lunch tomorrow
2v2J6bWNyxurAoi.jpg

2v2J6bGp8xurAoi.jpg

she finishes the skewers of mozzarella, salami, olives, tortellini, pepperoni & tomatoes
2v2J6bGy2xurAoi.jpg

I decided to throw the salmon I had in a brine solution all day on the KJ and use up the remaining ingredients from Kylie's stuff
2v2J6bN2WxurAoi.jpg

Kylie asked me to put the perfectly cooked salmon back on the grill to make it "crispy".......and this happens(post cleanup)
2v2J6bNJyxurAoi.jpg

Gallon Ziplock has the ruined salmon in it
2v2J6bddExurAoi.jpg

my bowl after sharing the salmon that didn't hit the concrete with Kylie...3 bites
2v2J6bF29xurAoi.jpg

Back