CLOSED, Field Knife 2 pre-order, The Return of the Field Knife (2)

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is a pre-order. It is my list so please post only one time, do not chat in it.

You probably shouldn't order a knife in this pre-order unless you're wanting a special configuration. Pre-orders are a bad idea in general. I recommend you just wait for the normal sales which will start around the end of the year. If you place an order in this thread I'm only committing to ship before the end of next summer. Some of the optional configurations such as satin finish, wood scales or extra thin grind probably won't ship for a loooog time. Also, if you send multiple emails to Jo asking "where's my knife, where's my knife!!!" before the end of next summer I will personally put a booger in the box when we ship it.

Please, no proxies. This list will be open for a week.

I'm dropping the "Utility" moniker for the Field Knife. The last run (earlier in the year) was milled and tumbled with no manual grinding to keep the cost down. This made people's OCD itch real bad so now the standard build gets a basic hand grind to remove tool marks before tumbling. This costs $10 and serves no real purpose other than it looks nice, so if you want to save the $10 you can request yours in "utility grade".

The Field Knife 2 is a fantastic medium/small woods knife and general purpose cutting tool for tradesmen and hunters. Every aspect of this is dialed in for long term cutting performance and designed for safety, durability and comfort. The handle, which is less slab sided than the original to facilitate turned grips used in bushcraft, is some of our best work. The steel and heat treat is some of the best in the world. The blade shape and grind geometry (slightly more acute primary grinds, but .005" thicker, than the original) are made to cut well but never fail you. The new sheath is fantastic.

This steel with this heat treat will support a fine edge, so this was taken down to .020" before sharpening (though I'm leaving some additional meat in the tip now) and it was sharpened 18 degrees per side. This is relatively acute and it cuts well, but is very durable.
Some might consider this a tactical knife but the point is not reinforced and it is not shaped or balanced as a weapon. It's reasonably thin behind the edge. It is a hard working cutting tool, a big skinning knife and woods knife. There is a hidden lanyard hole in the tang.

The handle is ergonomically designed for a standard forward, reverse, saber and pinch grips for an average to relatively large hand. The tang is internally skeletonized. The scales are 3D sculpted CNC machined. The blade is made of 3/16" 3V with a heat treat that has been optimized to maximize edge stability in rough use. Despite being relatively thin it is durable. You can baton with it. You might damage the fine edge if you set your mind to it, but the knife itself is practically unbreakable.
A side effect of this heat treat is a higher percentage of free chromium, so although it is not stainless, it is nearly so.

Specs:
CPM 3V, Delta Heat treat protocol, 61 HRC, .188" thick at ricasso
Total length 9.75"
Blade length 4.625"
Weight 8.0 oz
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
18-8 stainless steel fasteners (Black oxide treated available at same cost by request)

Mashed Cat sheaths are custom made for these knives and are well designed and well made. They are avilable with a TecLok, which can be worn vertical or horizontal and can be configured for left hand or right hand carry or with a drop loop sheath.

SEvbdhE.jpg

YxAR7mp.jpg

These are picture of the first run from earlier in the year with visible tool marks. They won't look like this.

PId77vb.jpg

FXWKqyg.jpg

lxHA9h1.jpg

6MxDMUH.jpg

YZqOFNl.jpg

x7gKSKM.jpg

o3CD1eo.jpg

aFG9XnG.jpg

scales_051319-jpg.1211850

Rather than just take my word for it I made a video (the old Field Knife, we still need to make a new video):

These are all field grade, milled, ground and tumbled with some tool and grind marks.

Basic vanilla configuration, with sheath, does not include shipping:
$295 in canvas micarta, black or natural

Optional add ons available in addition to plain vanilla:
Swedge (milled) $50
Acid wash $50
Satin grind after tumble (clean 220 grit hand ground finish) $125
Acid wash and satin grind the primary (as shown) $150
Leave it as-machined (don't grind before tumble) subtract $10
Sharp spine (no chamfer, re-ground after tumble, sharp to throw sparks and fluff sticks) $25
Harder and thinner (thinner primary grinds, ran a little harder as a plate martensite) no charge. <--- this is not an upgrade and I do not recommend it for most users. The standard configuration is already harder and thinner than most similar knives. #badidea

Scales, substitute for basic micarta:
Black Linen micarta $10
Double Black canvas micarta $10
OD green micarta $10
Double Red canvas micarta $20
Burlap micarta $20
Rag micarta $20
OD green or Black G10 $10
Orange/Black or Red/Black G10, $20
Terotuf (grey or bright green or OD green) $20
Ebonite hard rubber $25
Edge cut antique Micarta $100
Mystery wood (prolly something really crappy like used popsicle sticks) $150

Shipping is $12. Multiples do not accrue additional shipping.

Price includes an excellent kydex sheath. You have a choice of TecLok or drop loop.

Here is the order process:

I'm going to take full payment in advance and hold your money. While I think this is usually a bad policy, so I don't generally recommend it, I've been around a while, my shop is an incorporated business established in 2001, so I'm probably not going anywhere. I will ship your knife when it's finished. Once your order is confirmed there are no refunds, changes or cancellations.

These knives are already in process. Basic configuration will start to ship in a couple months. They will ship as they're finished, mostly in the order that they are ordered in. As I'm building them, some of the knives made will go to this pre-order and some will be sold in regular sales. This means you will see knives being sold while you're waiting for your knife.

When you place your order, let it will sit on the order thread for a day or more before you send your email finalizing your order. In that time frame you can edit your post and change your order. Once you send Jo an email confirming your order it is finalized. Please don't add changes after-the-fact because it is this sort of thing that has made lists unmanageable in the past.

Unless the numbers get crazy I'll leave this list up for a week.

Once you are certain about your order please send an email to Jo at jocarothers (at) gmail (dot) com. A good subject line would be: "Field Knife Pre-order, post number #X"

Please include the following information in your email:

1: Your post number on this sale thread.
2: Bladeforums name. (for example "Jo the Machinist")
3: Real Name.
4: PayPal email address so we can send a paypal invoice (or ask about other payment options).
5: Shipping address.
6: Your desired configuration and options such as scales and sheath preference.
7: Any questions you may have or special instructions.

Once I receive this information, if everything is there, I will send you a PayPal invoice. If information is missing or you have additional questions, I will reply to your email. When your email is read and processed I will send you a reply letting you know we've received your information.

Last edited:
I am in for TWO please:

A- Standard FK2 + darkest chocolaty AECM handle scales + Acid Wash + Swedge + Ti fasteners + drop-loop sheath (295 + $100 + 50 + 50 + 5?)

B- Harder & thinner FK2 + Satin + mystery Wood + Ti fasteners ($295 + $125 + 150?) >>> No sheath for this please!

Thanks to you: Nathan & Jo + Mark & Bo :)

ETA: inv & paid: 10/15/19

4/27 shipped

Last edited by a moderator:
One with antique micarta (preferably amber/rose colored with lots of streaks), 90 degree spine, stainless hardware and a TecLok sheath.
Thanks for offering all of the options.

4/27 shipped

In for two!

1) Milled swedge with rotten, chewed, sticky, smelly, gutter aged, popsicle stick scales - Fudgesicle or smashed ant stained preferable, but other stains acceptable.

2) Vanilla configuration, but with antique micarta if available.

Thank you! Mike

5/18 shipped

Back