Field Knife scales

Does anyone (Jo?) know the difference in weight between the FK G-10 and Micarta scales? Please post the weights if you can.

I’ve heard the Micarta is lighter and if so, how much would a change in scales effect the balance point?

I don’t really need a set being a g10 fan :) ( love the colors )
But to help the cause I’ll take a set or two, definitely buffed black.

Does anyone (Jo?) know the difference in weight between the FK G-10 and Micarta scales? Please post the weights if you can.

I’ve heard the Micarta is lighter and if so, how much would a change in scales effect the balance point?

David, I do not have the weights, but I can speak to the feel, or at least the way it feels to me. If I pick up a g10 model and then set it down and pick up one of my micarta ones, I can feel the difference. It would be difficult to do without having them side by side. It does fell 'better' / 'more balanced' to me in micarta. Also, I believe Nathan has stated that he tweaks the balance with the idea that they are going to get micarta rather than g10. Probably just muddied the waters more, but a hope that helps a little.

David, the other David (Hard Knocks) is correct as there was previously a discussion about this very topic with actual imperial data regarding the weight differences between the G10 scaled FKs versus the micarta ones. Sadly I don't seem to be able to find that post for now but Nathan had stated that he preferred the balance and the weight of his FK with the micarta scales.

FWIW, this is one of the best FK review threads in here courtesy of JustinFournier:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/my-thoughts-on-the-field-knife.1414224/

Unbuffed natural and black please. Od green would be awesome if it could be squeezed in:thumbsup:

Last edited:
In for one set of unbuffed black pls. I badly scratched mine during a bad fall

Back