Field Knife scales

Please don’t apologize for being in the shop. I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say to forget the weight issue if it means you can help Nathan get more blades in your fans hands!

I, like all those on this thread, will gladly accept your Micarta scales without getting the exact weight information.

Last edited:
Jo: I would take one set of black unbuffed for the field knife. It does not really apply here but I would also like to have a set for the light chopper in Terotuf if available or black unbuffed if not.
Thank You

Last edited:
Does anyone (Jo?) know the difference in weight between the FK G-10 and Micarta scales? Please post the weights if you can.

I’ve heard the Micarta is lighter and if so, how much would a change in scales effect the balance point?

I don't have any Field Knife scales left, but the EDC scales weigh 1.7 oz in micarta and 2.0 oz in G10 if that helps.

Jo: I would take one set of black unbuffed for the field knife. It does not really apply here but I would also like to have a set for the light chopper in Terotuf if available or black unbuffed if not.
Thank You
Hi Jack!
We do have some available. Could you send me an email at jocarothers (at) gmail (dot) com?
Thanks!

Does anyone (Jo?) know the difference in weight between the FK G-10 and Micarta scales? Please post the weights if you can.

I’ve heard the Micarta is lighter and if so, how much would a change in scales effect the balance point?

Hi David,

This won’t answer your question directly, but here is some comparative data from my two Field Knives.

The black G10 handled knife weighs 8.81 ounces vs. 8.07 for the antique micarta.

The balance point for the black G10 sits approximately .080” further back than the antique micarta.

I prefer the lighter weight and closer-to-neutral balance of the micarta handle.

I hope this helps.

Phil

I would be down for an antique micarta to complete my collection if not it is fine though.

Will only be available in CPK's Natural and Black Micarta, buffed or unbuffed:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/field-knife-scales.1557944/

The edgecut antique micarta scales were never produce in any large quantities for the original FK and the ones which are out there in the wild are the FK holy grails. If I type any more about wanting one so badly, I may have to cry myself to sleep :(

:D

Yea i knew it was only those 2 options but she asked to see an interest and i would think the antique would have an overwhelming interest. Maybe enough to convince them to do a run:D:) if im lucky.

From your mouth to Nathan's ears but there was a post very recently by Nathan where he had mentioned something to the effect of: he will be sad and will be missing his antique micarta stash when it's all gone! I have a feeling that he may become more conservative with the future EAM application and availability, depending on how much he has gotten left to work with. With all the new CPK patterns on the horizon for late 2018 thru 2019, I think that we will not be getting lucky at all with the FK.

Thanks Phil,

That’s exactly the info I need to know for certain I want the Micarta scales :D

Last edited:
We've successfully convinced Nathan the demand is there. (Thanks!) Once the HDFKs from last week ship and I have the CC folks taken care of, I'll get a sales thread up. Thanks again and have a great week!

Can this be the sales thread? Lots of “I’ll take its” here.

From your mouth to Nathan's ears but there was a post very recently by Nathan where he had mentioned something to the effect of: he will be sad and will be missing his antique micarta stash when it's all gone! I have a feeling that he may become more conservative with the future EAM application and availability, depending on how much he has gotten left to work with. With all the new CPK patterns on the horizon for late 2018 thru 2019, I think that we will not be getting lucky at all with the FK.
Thanks for the info on the vintage micarta. It is my favorite but i will just have to look into something else. Thanks again.

I would be down for an antique micarta to complete my collection if not it is fine though.[/QUOTE

In my mind this was more about practicality than Aesthetics. We're not running out of antique anytime soon. It would require a lot more time than I can justify for a retired knife pattern. Thanks for the question Tom.

Back