Field testing and (lotsa) trail pics.

jfox95307

Gold Member
Sorry for the image size.
Right click and view image to make them smaller. ;~}

Went out to test one of Purna's 15 inch Ang Kholas today. Ran into a couple windfalls, providing a nice opportunity for the AK.

I should add that this is slow growth coastal Sitka spruce and Doug fir. One of these branches--about five inches in diameter-- had 40 rings! That's some hard a$$ wood!

One down...
AK-working.jpg

This to go...
rest.jpg

Clear!
clear.jpg

Not a scratch on this blade! A keeper for sure.
Purna does excellent work. Take it from a bullheaded Taurus.
AK-clean.jpg

Got a chance to work the 16 inch VUK. She is Sexy...
vuk-resting.jpg

That grain! Hard stuff, even with the beetles.
VUK-grain1.jpg

Trail pics...
jungle1.jpg

This is all one tree!
onetree.jpg

onetree2.jpg

The root section.
onetreeroot.jpg

Ahhhh....
Rest at the ridge-top.
ridgetop1.jpg

Nice pics! I've only bad occasion to car camp with my HI so far.

Where you at JFox, that shorely looks like the Pacific Northwest.

Where you at JFox, that shorely looks like the Pacific Northwest.

I'm two blocks from The Palace, what claims to be the most westerly bar in the Continental US.
North Humboldt County. Close to the ocean.

We have it all in abndance (for now.)
I've harvested about 100 pounds of Porcini in six days. Short hikes, no hard work.

Nice review.... I use "sekelbos" wood for my fire here in Cape town. Sekelbos is very dense and the driest wood in the world with a moisture content of between 0-1%.
I have micro chipped a few 3v and sr-101 blades on this wood the very first day testing them.

So far I have split enough wood for 8 fires so far with my CAK by kumar.

Have to look up sekelbos wood. See what it looks like. Might make a good knife or gun handle. Usually if it's that dry it won't shrink or crack which is really upsetting after spending hours shaping etc only to have them crack.

Have to look up sekelbos wood. See what it looks like. Might make a good knife or gun handle. Usually if it's that dry it won't shrink or crack which is really upsetting after spending hours shaping etc only to have them crack.

Sekelbos and Kameeldoring. The 2 hardest. Both from Africa

I think I used to play sekelbos at the arcade back in the day. The trick was to roll the balls with just a bit of back spin and bank them off the rails of you hoped to hit the 10,000 hole.

I looked up sekelbos. It's an acacia. Family fabaceae. Same family as padauk. But totally different tree.

Back