Fiiddleback Forge Kepart: A Non-Traditional Interpretation (photo heavy post)

Those scales and that blade shape. So lovely. I love natural and jade micarta/G10, it just looks gorgeous, and that blade shape is pretty much the perfect utility shape and will do everything well (except prying, which no rational person does).

Those scales and that blade shape. So lovely. I love natural and jade micarta/G10, it just looks gorgeous, and that blade shape is pretty much the perfect utility shape and will do everything well (except prying, which no rational person does).

Yep, it is my first natural G10 handle. I was apprehensive at first about how it would wear or stain. So far it has done great. To me this one is perfect for everything I do in the woods but skinning.

Mist, my experience with g10 says that you shouldn't fear it in terms of staining. Those scales look smooth, most (all?) problems with g10 discoloring is from the dirt (or what have you) embedding in the grooves/checks/texture. You probably already know this, but the stuff is hygroscopic, meaning it doesn't absorb liquids. It's also very resistant to most chemicals.

*If* you should find a discoloration on your knife, it's most likely easily removed with the appropriate cleaner for whatever is on it.

I love g10, but I prefer micarta usually. Only problem with micarta is that the exposed fibers of the material (paper, linen, canvas) can sometimes stain, but then that stain is just on the very surface and can usually be easily cleaned, or in extreme cases, sanded, without much drama.

I'm betting that you already knew all of that, but thought I'd mention it on the outside chance that you didn't. :)

Well I knew it, but then was still a little worried that the really light color could still stain a little bit. I usually prefer darker handle materials. But nearly a year later the only thing that has happened is that it has darkened slightly. I still love the way it handles, and still my favorite bushcraft knife so far.

Whatcha doing for edge maintenance on this Mist?

That bigger knife a couple post up one of his camp knives?

Thinking of one of his kepharts in 1/8" is tempting!

Whatcha doing for edge maintenance on this Mist?

That bigger knife a couple post up one of his camp knives?

Thinking of one of his kepharts in 1/8" is tempting!

Andy does a micro bevel so that it can go either way fairly easily, for those who prefer convex the micro bevel can be done away with pretty quickly, and if you prefer a V bevel then the micro bevel can be expanded easily. I just use a small stone and put an acute v bevel on them.

Yep, it's a Camp Knife. Heck of a knife.

I have been thinking about one of these in 1/8 with a skeletonized tang myself. After using his tapered tangs a lot lately, the full tangs feel a bit handle heavy to me.

I know an old thread but Brian's review led me on the search for my perfect Kephart & I found it :)
DSC00279_zpswiyrf01r.jpg

DSC00277_zpsa9oicslb.jpg

I know an old thread but Brian's review led me on the search for my perfect Kephart & I found it :)
DSC00279_zpswiyrf01r.jpg

DSC00277_zpsa9oicslb.jpg

Sort of a zombie thread yes, but since you revived it I will say that Kephart is stunning! Love the Blckwood and OD, and nice taper!

Things have changed a bit since I wrote this post. Since they they have launched their mid-tech line, and I cannot wait for the mid-tech Kephart in CPM S35VN :)

Just adding these in to say I was right in my expectations. The Fiddleback Forge midtech Kephart is definitely one of my favorite production knives ever produced.

1.jpg

61.jpg

great stuff Mist. This really shows how versatile the Kephart really is. I still love the O1 and how it patinas.

My knife buying has really dropped off..only a couple on my to buy list and a 1/8" kephart is on there for sure. Just waiting for the handle color/material I want.

Back