Files?

Which brands and models tend to have the best files? I love my Swisstools but have found their files to be almost... dull. Even when new. Not sure its worth switching for just a file but it is one of the features which I appreciate. Typically for some random metal touch up, deburring or even to cut through a non-hardened object in an emergency.

Leatherman tools with the full size file, like the Wave, ST300, have pretty good files. The smaller ones like the wingman have glorified nailfiles.

I have a leatherman charge. The file on it is fairly decent. I've used it on some very soft bahco axes for sharpening and it did a very creditable job. I haven't used it on any harder steels though.
The diamond side is also very handy for field touch ups and seems to work well.
On the disclaimer side of things though, I haven't done anything approximating what I would call prolonged labour with it, so my opinion is formed from a scant data set.
Although, as you mentioned, it is just a bail out tool as well.

In comparison, LM ST300's file felt a lot 'duller' to my Swisstool, Charge and Wave have files with diamond on one side, but the other side also felt less aggressive than Swisstool. I don't know whether there are variance in terms of their production, so I'd suggest to feel it in person before making the switch.

The original Gerber MP had a real file made by Simons , best file ever found on a multitool of you ask me because they were made by a file manufacturer out of actual tool steel not a knife manufacturer out of knife steel.

Last edited:
JPEG_20200310_215139_6128518743842520541.jpg The LM Surge that I EDC has a file that's a little smaller than I prefer, but, unlike almost every other MT, it can be used to sharpen the knife within the same tool. That's because it can be removed from the tool (and replaced by the wood saw). The diamond side of the file is great for touching up the knife blade. T-A

Back