Filleting knife of choice ?

I decided to get back into fresh water fishing this year, after a multi year absence. I found most of my, and the wardens gear. But it looks like the filleting knife is gone. Any suggestions for Walleye and Pike? I'm thinking about 7.5 inch blade, and I'm wondering what you like to use other than the old wooden handled Rapalas. I'm kind of tired of those.

I’d be curious to see what others post up as well.

I use Rapala filet and Mora flex fillet quite a bit, along with a Dexter Russell Sani-safe.

I have often thought the market for fillet knives was sort of lacking.

My neighbor the hunter/fisher uses a Mora fillet knife. I looked at KC and theirs was 6" and $25. I want to say my buddies knife has a longer blade. Maybe an older model? One thing about a Mora fixed blade, I find the handles very comfortable.

I sharpen all of his knives in return for some venison and fish each year. Great deal for me. I don't have much experience sharpening fillet knives (I don't fish) but man those thin, narrow blades are a pain for me to sharpen by hand.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Morakniv-Fishing-Comfort--20134

I use the Victorinox Filet Knife, Holds an edge, easy to keep clean, commercial grade, not expensive.

I have a Marttiini fillet knife and a less flexible Bark River Mini Kalahari Sportsman.

I typically use an old Buck 121. Good size, stays sharp, and comfortable to handle.

Dexter sani safe fillet knife for me. I can’t say enough about this line of knives. Net knives, pairing knives, scimitar, butcher skinning fillet even oyster knives. All great.
On line Restaurant supply houses carry them.

For panfish I love the old carbon steel LL Bean bird and trout. There’s a few variations through the years, but my favorite is the flexible one not the stiff one. For anything bigger than that, it’s hard to beat the older Rapala. You can spend a lot more money on filet knives, but in my experience, you can’t get a lot more knife. Of course, I’m talking about using them, cleaning them up, and using them again the next weekend.

Ez76SuE.jpg

I’ve had this Rapala for about 25 years or longer. About 10:years ago, I sanded the original flaky varnish off of it, and then highlighted the wood grain with a propane torch, and then spar varnished the handle. I have sharpened it many, many times and filleted countless fish with it. I still have the original sheath.

Last edited:
Back