Recommendation? Filling antler pores

Any recommendations for sealing the pith/pores in antler handles.

Been working with some local elk antler sheds.

I grind off the bark for a more bone-like look, often taking it down to the pith.

In the past, I mix up epoxy, spread it on thick over the exposed pith, then use a vacuum to suck it down deeper.

I sent a batch off the K&G thinking they would come back solid polymer, but alas, the antler is only slightly improved. Still very porous.

What do you guys do to seal?

I’ve only used it once, have another one planned for Christmas. It was a bolster so the whole pith was exposed at the front. I just wicked super thin CA into it until it stopped running down, seemed to work fine.

Why waste antler trying to make it look like bone? Just use bone.
The whole charm of stag is the "bark" outside surface.

I just wicked super thin CA into it until it stopped running down, seemed to work fine.

Thanks, I give CA a try.

Why waste antler trying to make it look like bone? Just use bone.
The whole charm of stag is the "bark" outside surface.

I live in elk country and I find myself getting ahold of elk sheds to be alot easier than bone. I also think it seems to be tougher/harder than bone (excepting rhe pith of course).

I used to find appeal in the bark, but after doing a few without...well I don't know how to describe it but it's like fine chocolate to the hands. There's a warm, buttery feel to it...like real ivory piano keys. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Yep the thin superglue will work for ya. Its what I use and I use a lot of elk.

Back