Filson Jacket QUestion..

So, I have a question for you long-time Filson wearers. I need a jacket, and it needs to be able to be good in -30 weather, possibly with blowing wind. I won't be out hunting or anything in it, but I really like the look and feel of more traditional materials.

I already have a wool jacket liner that I've been wearing for months, but it's not quite heavy enough for the really cold temps we've just dipped into... my question is this: Would I be better off getting a shell (Like the shelter cloth Outfitter's Jacket) to go over my liner, or going whole hog and getting something like the Double Mackinaw Cruiser?

Thanks!
Fox

I've worn some Filson gear. Have used it from Arizona to Alaska. Very solid, durable clothing. Maybe my blood has thinned a lot from living in SoCal, but I think -30 is asking a lot of tincloth with a wool lining, unless you are doing something active and naturally tend to stay warm. When it gets to -30 or lower, I'd probably break out my Marmot 8,000 Meter Parka---especially if there was any wind or overcast. Unfortunately, it can't be considered "traditional".

Of course, if you're willing to run enough proper insulating layers under tincloth and wool, and get some really good head protection, you could probably make the Filson work for you.

DancesWithKnives

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I don't spend a lot of time out in the cold, but I always wonder what would happen if my car broke down and I had to walk a mile or two.

Esav, that would be a good bet, but it's a mite bit too small. :(

I don't want to run afoul of the dealspotting prohibition, but if you decide to pursue Filson, check EBay.

DancesWithKnives

I would recommend the double Mackinaw cruiser. It is a great jacket.
I used mine in -5 to -10 and it worked great. It works so well that if you aren't going to be in temps that low, it might be a little to much

I would recommend the double Mackinaw cruiser. It is a great jacket.
I used mine in -5 to -10 and it worked great. It works so well that if you aren't going to be in temps that low, it might be a little to much

As I sit here sipping my coffee, it's 1°F outside. I'm not used to this temperature, and need more protection. My question is (and I hope this adds value to the OP's thread instead of derailing it), how good is a coat like the Filson Cruiser outside in extreme cold when the wind is blowing?

Seems like an attached hood would be a necessity on a really cold weather coat, to keep the wind from freezing your head. I'm having a little trouble finding a good coat that I don't need to take out a loan on that fills this need. :grumpy:

There is no one coat thats going to keep you warm in that kind of cold. You have to layer well. It's the under layers that are going to keep you warm. The coat is just a shell to block the wind.

here's my feed on protection at - 30
hunted & fished all my life
wool lasts almost forever
wool will still give some protection even after falling in lake in cold weather, which is what i did & continued to fish.
negatives:
wool is heavy
wool is expensive
wool is limited in proptection in extended severe cold[-20]
the new polyester fleeces are inexpensive
overalls give more protection than jackets & insulated pants
poly fleeces dry from body heat
poly is moth proof
poly is not as durable as wool
most important..poly per weight gives much greater protection than wool
only superior insulation is premium goose down
goose down lasts forever if maintained per manuf. instructions
goose down is expensive
goose is useless when wet
for temps lower than zero & money considerations poly is probably best viable choice

You might want to check out King of the Mountain or Sleeping Indian wool Jackets. NO flies on Filson.. I own a bunch.. but for your needs either one of these would be warmer and meet you traditional material needs.. If you search their websites and the bay you can find deals..

They make solid colors since you dont want the camo pattern.

I have made 8 trips hunting in Alaska and all I wear is wool..The extra weights sucks.. but if you can't make back to camp, and have to sleep on a cold wet mountain top then wool is the best..

For running around the in the winter in Minnesota.. I wear a Raven wear bomber jacket.. Best damn jacket I have ever owned.. My Filson Mack does not see much time anymore.
Best of luck..

Seems like an attached hood would be a necessity on a really cold weather coat, to keep the wind from freezing your head.
I prefer my sheepskin Mad Bomber Hat with the ear flaps down and a wool scarf. That hat is warmer than any hood I've ever had, and doesn't interfere with peripheral vision.

Thanks for the advice, all. I'm leaning towards a Double Mack, but jeez... pricey! (And yah, I've seen some lower prices on Ebay.)

MountainMan, no worries about threadjacking. You're asking basically the same question I am. :) I've got a Filson Insulated Packer and find it keeps my head warm, but I've not been outside for extended periods in extreme cold.

(As an aside, this is something where I think Florida is definitely superior to Alberta... if your car breaks down in Florida, you're unlikely to die if you have to walk somewhere to use the phone. The windchill this morning in my area was -40!)

There is no one coat thats going to keep you warm in that kind of cold. You have to layer well. It's the under layers that are going to keep you warm. The coat is just a shell to block the wind.

I'll second that. At -30 I'm usually layered up t-shirt/sweater/fleece pullover/hooded rain shell. If it's windy the most important thing is to make sure there are no gaps in that outer layer.

Sweaters are my salvation in real cold. I overheat too easily and most t-shirts and shirts and fleece trap the sweat next to me. Not comfortable and not safe. Sweaters let air circulate under the coat.

I just got a Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser. Really nice jacket, you pay for the details. The wool is soft and not scratchy, and the design is great. They are a bit pricey, but you couldn't get the same coat for less money.

The Double Mac is worth every penny. I thought it was a little high in price, until I wore it during a late season elk hunt. About -10, snowin and blowin.
I never even thought about getting cold while I was wearing mine.

Filson still makes their stuff to last and last and then be passed down to the next generation..... :thumbup:

Wool is naturally FR, better than Poly next to the campfire if an ember pops.

Can't go wrong with a Filson Double Mac.

Back