Finally, a Mora style knife I can really like

I have never really been a fan of Mora knives. I find their thin blades, lack of a full tang, and at times, poor quality steel all negatives. There were better choices out there than a Mora.
I had Mark Hill in Yorkshire UK made me a better iteration. 3/16 high quality O1 steel, meaty Walnut scales, full tang, leather sheath.
It showed up the other day, and I am very pleased. The thicker blade allows for a stronger scandi grind edge, and the full tang is a huge improvement over the short tang molded into a plastic handle.
This week, I'll take it on a hike in the Big Gum Swamp in the Osceola NF, and see how it performs there. In the back yard, it has already impressed with it's cutting and carving abilities.
8SnYwQ1.jpg

JtlnmKE.jpg

That's a pretty good looking blade. I've owned a couple of Mark Hill knives over the years. All have been pretty nice working knives in my opinion. He also was a first class gentleman to work with.

That's a super knife, well made! Definitely an improvement on the Morakniv pattern.

But we all know that the typical "Mora" knife is basically a cheap utility knife as-made, right? Pretty sure the rest of the world doesn't compare our Stanley box cutters to their knives. Only recently has a basic workmans' knife been portrayed as a capable outdoor knife. Granted, Morakniv has taken that reputation and ran with it with purpose made knives marketed to that...

Just want to make sure we weren't expecting too much of the original inspiration for this knife. Having said that, I'd love to own and use that Mark Hill example, it looks amazing!

The knife has been afield a couple of times now. It performed as expected, which is to say, flawlessly. I am well pleased.

Last edited:
That's a super knife, well made! Definitely an improvement on the Morakniv pattern.

But we all know that the typical "Mora" knife is basically a cheap utility knife as-made, right? Pretty sure the rest of the world doesn't compare our Stanley box cutters to their knives. Only recently has a basic workmans' knife been portrayed as a capable outdoor knife. Granted, Morakniv has taken that reputation and ran with it with purpose made knives marketed to that...

Just want to make sure we weren't expecting too much of the original inspiration for this knife. Having said that, I'd love to own and use that Mark Hill example, it looks amazing!
I wouldn't say that is strictly true. Knives of that design go way back, and we are talking a country with a national average of something like 50 nights spent outdoors (or at least that was the last stat I heard, so its certainly made up) Yes the basic mora is a very cheap and basic knife, but to say that means no one uses them for honest bushcraft work is not correct. Sure the Scandinavians also use axes and saws when needed, and don't treat their knives like the average youtube survivalist, but moras as a wildnerness knife is not a new thing.

I wouldn't say that is strictly true. Knives of that design go way back, and we are talking a country with a national average of something like 50 nights spent outdoors (or at least that was the last stat I heard, so its certainly made up) Yes the basic mora is a very cheap and basic knife, but to say that means no one uses them for honest bushcraft work is not correct. Sure the Scandinavians also use axes and saws when needed, and don't treat their knives like the average youtube survivalist, but moras as a wildnerness knife is not a new thing.
The design does go way back and just about any time someone says "no one or everyone" does something, it is usually a generalization and incorrect. I personally am not a fan of Mora knives in general, but I can see why folks like them and use them for many purposes. Mannlicher's knife is a "Mora" on steroids so to speak and one would expect a handmade knife to be more pleasing. If I want inexpensive and light, I generally chose the Kabar Becker BK-15.

Nice blade Mannlicher.

I meant more in the sense that they are marketed that way, but I see what you're saying. Yes, re-reading my post I was too general and broad in my statement. In trying to clarify I'm sure I'll make things more unintelligable, but I was basically referring to Mannlicher's implied expectation that a Mora should be able to handle any and all modern outdoors tasks and the typical "Must be full tang or it's shit!" mentality, and that they are perfectly serviceable for what they are. Very true, the design being used in wilderness goes back for forever... but as you said, the Scandinavians don't use their knives the same as in other parts of the world.

I guess I was just trying to comment originally, on the expectation that a Mora is a knife that should last a lifetime or more and handle anything thrown at it... when in reality, they're still just sub-$20 utility knives, even if the utility is in outdoors tasks (exception obviously for the more modern "Bushcraft" oriented models). Anecdotal, I know, but very often a Swede will comment in on something like this, or on Reddit, or another forum and state how it is quite common to just toss them in the trash and buy another when they dull...

I think there are differing expectations of what a hidden stick tang, 2mm blade knife will do and is meant to do. Nonetheless, the custom upgraded variant the OP posted is an amazing piece and quite nice.

I meant more in the sense that they are marketed that way, but I see what you're saying. Yes, re-reading my post I was too general and broad in my statement. In trying to clarify I'm sure I'll make things more unintelligable, but I was basically referring to Mannlicher's implied expectation that a Mora should be able to handle any and all modern outdoors tasks and the typical "Must be full tang or it's shit!" mentality, and that they are perfectly serviceable for what they are. Very true, the design being used in wilderness goes back for forever... but as you said, the Scandinavians don't use their knives the same as in other parts of the world.

I guess I was just trying to comment originally, on the expectation that a Mora is a knife that should last a lifetime or more and handle anything thrown at it... when in reality, they're still just sub-$20 utility knives, even if the utility is in outdoors tasks (exception obviously for the more modern "Bushcraft" oriented models). Anecdotal, I know, but very often a Swede will comment in on something like this, or on Reddit, or another forum and state how it is quite common to just toss them in the trash and buy another when they dull...

I think there are differing expectations of what a hidden stick tang, 2mm blade knife will do and is meant to do. Nonetheless, the custom upgraded variant the OP posted is an amazing piece and quite nice.
Your clarification makes sense. Any time you get too definitive or brush too wide, something is bound to be incorrect. There is going to be nuance, I'm sure that everyone camping in sweden or norway isn't using a mora basic, and higher end knives are going to be more the norm, even if many of them are stick tangs, they are going to be tougher than the hardware-store mora. None of this takes away from Mannlicher's blade, it works for him, thats all that is important. Also, be very cautious of speaking on behalf of the forum, its not generally a good idea.

Your clarification makes sense. Any time you get too definitive or brush too wide, something is bound to be incorrect. There is going to be nuance, I'm sure that everyone camping in sweden or norway isn't using a mora basic, and higher end knives are going to be more the norm, even if many of them are stick tangs, they are going to be tougher than the hardware-store mora. None of this takes away from Mannlicher's blade, it works for him, thats all that is important. Also, be very cautious of speaking on behalf of the forum, its not generally a good idea.

Not my intent to speak on behalf of anyone but myself; a poor choice of words on my part.

There are quite a few of us who are fans of ‘classic Mora 1 style knives on steroids’. These have that barrel shaped handle that is comfortable held & used in just about any orientation , and a full tang blade of around 3/32”-3/16” stock. They usually have a Scandi grind, but not always. Quite a few makers will put one together for you.

Last edited:
Back