Finally got my first rat knife

Been wanting one for a while.
62582A36430D47B1920B72456FA80346.jpg
C89D5B5133CF4C7EAF60AEDAEE3B1A34.jpg

Case_Muskrat_Both_Open_Resized.jpg

Had this beautiful Case Chestnut Bone CV Muskrat for a while. Super pocketable, great knife if you happen to like that slim clip and want two of 'em! Same frame as the 6347 Stockman.

I sent this one on to a fellow forumite in Europe. It gave me much more pleasure to know it was in someone's hands who really wanted one than to just be in my desk drawer along with many others.

Great knife, though.

Great title, thought it was about RAT-3 knives ;) I have one of them in Ram's Horn.

Always good to hear and see about somebody getting a new knife pattern they like :thumbsup:

The Muskrat is an interesting pattern that takes some skill to make, especially if it is on a single-spring. Having two identical blades for skinning, so you can keep at it without breaking for sharpening, makes some sense in that context, but I've not found the need myself...However, it is an aesthetically pleasing pattern and every 'serious' enthusiast ought to have one in the collection.

Don't have a CASE version myself, but Chestnut Bone cv is always a satisfying option. For those who may have a version whose dye is weak, a good tea bath with strong tea overnight will soon bring it on :cool: don't get appalled by the blades blackening though-you can always tape them beforehand or polish it off afterwards. Here's my Rat from Queen Cutlery, possibly one of the best made production knives I own: no gaps, play or rub, strong W&T and D2 blades on a single spring. GEC made a 66 called a Mink Skinner which is a shorter type of Muskrat and a weird Trapper called Furtaker- Clip/Wharncliffe from the same end, on I believe a 54 frame. I like the fact that GEC does experiment with blade assortments, a slap for those fogeys who mutter on about "It's never been done before, m'grandaddy wouldn't recognize it!" :rolleyes::D The Possum Skinner 82 is another Rat offshoot type, California Clip/Wharncliffe opposite ends for those who fancy 2 different blades. My own SuperRat would be California Clip/Sheepfoot opposite ends, yet to happen in round bolster form.

0QBLZIL.jpg

XUVnXlS.jpg

Last edited:
Back