Finally tried a Wave

vwb563

Gold Member
Hello everyone. I’ve been a Leatherman Tool fan ever since I bought my first one back around 1991. It was a black anodized PST. I carried it for several years until the first Super Tool came out in 1994. After I purchased the Super Tool I sold the PST since it never got and carry time anymore. Now over the years I’ve owned several other variations of Leatherman Tool along with a few other brands like Gerber and SOG. For one reason or another I always returned to carrying a Leatherman over the other brands. Then I went through a spell in the 2000’s where I didn’t carry a tool at all on my belt anymore. Through that spell I carried a SAK in my left pocket and various brands of clip on knife in my right. I got away from carrying anything that required belt carry. A few years back I decided to start carrying a multitool again since I discovered several brands were now adding the option of pocket clips to them. I bought a Leatherman Charge TTI and carried it off and on for a few months but really didn’t care for how thick it was. It bulged my pocket quite a bit. I don’t wear skinny jeans but I also don’t care for baggy jeans either. I like to wear jeans that fit just right and the TTI was just a bit too thick it seemed. A couple years ago I bought a Leatherman Sidekick and it worked and fit in my pocket really well but I always felt like I was missing a few tools having carried the TTI with its abundance of tools. Now during this time I read articles and discussions on forums where people talked how they really loved the Wave model Leatherman. Well when I saw that Leatherman had added the replaceable wire cutters to the Wave I decided I had to try one. It arrived a week ago and I must say I’m in love so far. It’s just just a tad thicker than my Sidekick but has almost the same tools as the TTI but without the bulkiness. For those not familiar the titanium TTI has really thick and bulky handles but the Wave has very thin handles and are made of stainless steel. For now I’m happy with the Wave as my new edc tool but I’m also very interested in the new magnetic tools Leatherman is introducing this year. Now I’ve told you my story of how I arrived at my current carry multitool and I’d like to hear yours. Thanks for stopping by...

Congrats. The Wave is a popular tool for good reason. I had one way back in 2002 when I was working at Target in college. I did something stupid and accidentally snapped the serrated blade off to about an inch. It actually worked out well because it became a great box opener.

Then I did something even more boneheaded and left the dang tool on a shelf while I was working and forgot about it. Someone made off with a slightly used free tool that day.

I've had a ton of LM tools, and they are still my go-to brand. I have the PST, Side Clip, Crunch, ST 200, Rev, MUT, Side Kick, Core, Fuse, Skeletool CX, Juice, Surge, and Micra. Currently a ST300 is my heavy duty work tool with a rebar being my edc.

I too am excited about the new magnetic models. Maybe they'll be homeruns. Maybe they'll flop, but I'm interested to get one in hand.

I grabbed a Wave Plus towards the end of last-year. I've had other brands of multis, and finally broke-down and purchased a Leatherman product. To make a long-story short, it was a case where opportunity, and price came together. In the past, I've carried Gerber, SOG Paladin, and kept a Vic SwissTool around the house. The Wave is about the perfect-size for carry, and I like the replaceable-cutters on the new model. Next-up maybe a 'blacked-out' Surge to complete the ensemble. I purchased an aftermarket kydex-sheath from a local holster-maker, and the whole set-up rocks on a Blue Alpha belt-rig.

jleHtUml.jpg

mrMMHQjl.jpg

HmB1vTCl.jpg

BqN9i5El.jpg

I grabbed a Wave Plus towards the end of last-year. I've had other brands of multis, and finally broke-down and purchased a Leatherman product. To make a long-story short, it was a case where opportunity, and price came together. In the past, I've carried Gerber, SOG Paladin, and kept a Vic SwissTool around the house. The Wave is about the perfect-size for carry, and I like the replaceable-cutters on the new model. Next-up maybe a 'blacked-out' Surge to complete the ensemble. I purchased an aftermarket kydex-sheath from a local holster-maker, and the whole set-up rocks on a Blue Alpha belt-rig.

jleHtUml.jpg

mrMMHQjl.jpg

HmB1vTCl.jpg

BqN9i5El.jpg
I really like that sheath!!!!

Back