Finally!

mykel m

Gold Member
It's been just shy of two years since I was last able to get out to my happy camping grounds, but I finally made it out there yesterday.
But first I had a little job to do before I could get up to camp.
0Trrqie.jpg

I had just turned off the highway and ran into this sucker blocking my way less than a hundred yards up the FS road.:(
Damn! What to do? I drove a hundred or so miles to get there.:confused:
I guess I can try cutting it with the Stanley Saw I keep in the truck, but as weak and out of shape as I am it was a daunting task to say the least.
On the other hand, I drove a hundred frigging miles to get there so I had to give it a try.:mad:
I'd saw for a minute then sit in the truck until my breathing calmed down and my shoulders stopped hurting, then I'd saw some more.
I got it cut most of the way through and hoping to save myself some more wear and tear I tied the only piece of rope I had to it and hooked it to the tow hook on the truck and gave it a tug.
Well, the wheels spun a bit and then the rope broke.:mad:
Damn, more sawing.:(
I worked on the little end until I got it sawn through and I tried tugging with the rope again but it still wouldn't budge :confused::mad:, so I had no choice but to saw on the fat end some more.
Turns out my bottom cut wasn't lined up with the top cut.:rolleyes:
Saw, saw, saw and an hour or so later I finally got it cut through and was able to pull it out of the way and proceed on up to camp.
Vroom, vroom.:D
ibK3uMI.jpg

Old pic of the saw from when I harvested some fatwood a few years ago.
p2FByQN.jpg

On the way up I had to stop and get a pic of the Hurley Creek with the Hurley Creek sign.
Notice the sweat on the Hat. Yeah.:rolleyes:

2hO13wZ.jpg

I finally made it up to the camp site/base of operations and promptly fell asleep in my camp chair.:rolleyes:
I woke up a little stiff, but otherwise ok so I had lunch and decided to go for a little hike up the ridge behind camp and take in the beauty of Ma Nature.
I coulda taken the trail on the left, but it is steeper so naturally (no brainer) I took the trail on the right.:thumbsup:
9SNf8Vw.jpg

On the way up I ran into another tree blocking my path, but this time I was able to just walk around that sucker.;)
prTGLKv.jpg

FZDijW8.jpg

Random pics..
UAmjGyR.jpg

9fL0R3G.jpg

w5RnbkZ.jpg

nEmttoF.jpg

htuZVRF.jpg

YwRB9DO.jpg

eN2LvyW.jpg

One small section of fatwood in a rotten stump.
00uSjVw.jpg

After getting back to camp I took a break and watched the clouds float by from the comfort of my reclining camp chair.:thumbsup:
mf2HpbE.jpg

I farted around camp for a while then went down to the creek for a look see.
It's running high with snow melt and falling all over it's self.
PTGTPzW.jpg

MhtJoMK.jpg

V1TVbbV.jpg

2wLf1C5.jpg

Flash forward to today and I am sitting here with sore arms, shoulders, thighs, knees and butt.
Yeah, my butt cheeks hurt, must be from all the bending and squatting during the sawing.:rolleyes:
It was worth it just to be out there for a day though.:)
Pretty soon it'll be greening up and the Morels will be popping up.
Hopefully I can get out for a camping trip or three or a dozen this year.

Great photos Mykel, glad you had a chance to get back to your favorite site!

Jeff

Looks like a great place, thanks for sharing. There are many weekends we wish we could camp and can't so we'll slip away to one of our favorite spots for a few hours. Hope you make it back soon and get to stay longer. As for the tree, I think there's a saying about something that doesn't kill you makes you stronger:D

Good to see ya out there Mykel.
My new job has me hurting like you are but soon I hope to be used to the exercise. Then I can camp like that again.

I get the creaky body stuff :( but I'm glad you powered through. You can't see the view unless you climb the mountain - I always say :rolleyes:. Beautiful place made more beautiful by the passion of an ardent admirer.

Thanks for sharing.

Ray

Wow, what a purty area! Looks like you had a great trip! Did you remember to grab that JK folder on the way out of the house?;)

That's wonderful, I'm happy for you that you were able to get out there! Way to stick with it and get that tree cut up. Thank you for sharing the pics of your adventure!

Great photos Mykel, glad you had a chance to get back to your favorite site!

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. Hope you can get to your's soon. Miss the fire pics.

Looks like a great place, thanks for sharing. There are many weekends we wish we could camp and can't so we'll slip away to one of our favorite spots for a few hours. Hope you make it back soon and get to stay longer. As for the tree, I think there's a saying about something that doesn't kill you makes you stronger:D
Nothing wrong with day trips vs full blown camping trips.
As to the tree..I thought I was going to die the way my heart was beating.This flatlander ain't used to the elevation no mo.

Sounds like a good reason to buy a chainsaw for the truck
Had one but had to sell it. I always made sure to pack it on the first trip to the mountains knowing I'd have to deal with blowdowns.

Good to see ya out there Mykel.
My new job has me hurting like you are but soon I hope to be used to the exercise. Then I can camp like that again.
You'll get used to the rigors of yard work soon enough I'm sure Mack.

I get the creaky body stuff :( but I'm glad you powered through. You can't see the view unless you climb the mountain - I always say :rolleyes:. Beautiful place made more beautiful by the passion of an ardent admirer.

Thanks for sharing.

Ray
Glad you enjoyed the trip Ray.

Very nice scenery out there! Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure Jeff.

Wow, what a purty area! Looks like you had a great trip! Did you remember to grab that JK folder on the way out of the house?;)
Sadly no Rob. My focus was on the HC, it being the newer to me of the two.

That's wonderful, I'm happy for you that you were able to get out there! Way to stick with it and get that tree cut up. Thank you for sharing the pics of your adventure!
That tree didn't stand a chance against my determination to get to my happy place.:D
Glad you enjoyed the post Glenn:thumbsup::).

Hey Buddy,

Wow, those pics were dynamite! What a nice place! The woman wouldn't be able to get me away from there! Thanks for taking me along with you! I cannot believe you don't own a chainsaw, its a wonder you didn't kill yourself with that thin air and exercise, that you are not used too! And you don't have a decent rope in your truck to boot! What kind of mountain man are you? And you own a truck man, a truck isn't a truck without certain things, Like a chainsaw, axe, a rifle, pistol, rope, and chain! Haaaaaaaaaaaaa! LOL! I think you flunked out on being prepared on this trip but, after seeing the views, I can understand why! Just kidding with you Buddy!

They would have found me laying in the driveway, there by the tree, with a heart attack! Really glad you got back without any problems! I'd say though, that you might want to invest in a new chainsaw, and buy a proper rope, you know one of those towing ropes or some chain or something! When I go to camp, it takes me three days just to pack for it! It looks like the Beverley Hillbillies go to camp! I prepare for all contingencies LOL!

FT

Last edited:
Hey Frontiertom - I suggest you read some of Mykel's other threads to get some perspective.

He's a guy who could teach you lots about preparedness under adverse circumstances. Just sayin'.

Ray

Looks like you have a beautiful place to sneak off too ... beautiful pictures.

I'm afraid it's stayed to cold and dry to late for our morel season here not a one yet but a wet warmer week ahead we may still get a short season if we're lucky.

Hey Buddy,

Wow, those pics were dynamite! What a nice place! The woman wouldn't be able to get me away from there! Thanks for taking me along with you! I cannot believe you don't own a chainsaw, its a wonder you didn't kill yourself with that thin air and exercise, that you are not used too! And you don't have a decent rope in your truck to boot! What kind of mountain man are you? And you own a truck man, a truck isn't a truck without certain things, Like a chainsaw, axe, a rifle, pistol, rope, and chain! Haaaaaaaaaaaaa! LOL! I think you flunked out on being prepared on this trip but, after seeing the views, I can understand why! Just kidding with you Buddy!

They would have found me laying in the driveway, there by the tree, with a heart attack! Really glad you got back without any problems! I'd say though, that you might want to invest in a new chainsaw, and buy a proper rope, you know one of those towing ropes or some chain or something! When I go to camp, it takes me three days just to pack for it! It looks like the Beverley Hillbillies go to camp! I prepare for all contingencies LOL!

FT
Glad you enjoyed the trip Tom.
At least I was able to get the job done with what I had eh?

Hey Frontiertom - I suggest you read some of Mykel's other threads to get some perspective.

He's a guy who could teach you lots about preparedness under adverse circumstances. Just sayin'.

Ray
Thanks Ray, not to worry though, 'ol Tom was just messing with me.

Looks like you have a beautiful place to sneak off too ... beautiful pictures.

I'm afraid it's stayed to cold and dry to late for our morel season here not a one yet but a wet warmer week ahead we may still get a short season if we're lucky.
Glad you enjoyed the pics also JJ.
Morels don't usually pop up until the end of May, beginning of June out there so I have time yet.
I'm heading out for a camping trip this weekend and will be looking for any early risers.

Back