Finch 1929

Maybe I'm odd but does anyone else like the old school style with the flipper? Just wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it. Debating picking one up. Reminds me of my granddad's knives and ones I had back in the 80s.

I also like the classic styling with the modern materials, lock, and opening mechanisms. I don't have one, but it's definitely on my list.

I can't get behind the aesthetics of Finch, personally. It somehow fails to look modern or traditional in all the worst ways.

Really like that green! I'm even debating getting the Holliday model but have so many I'd like to pickup. Anyone wanna donate one

I think it would look better as a front flipper-but I admittedly am a front flipper fan. I do like blends of traditional and modern.

I think it would look better as a front flipper-but I admittedly am a front flipper fan. I do like blends of traditional and modern.

Personally I dislike front flippers. The only benefit they have is that the tab is recessed in the open position, otherwise they're awkward to open and require too much dexterity after you pull it out of your pocket. But that's just my opinion, other people seem to love them, and that's why Pena's front flipper traditionals have been super successful. If those were standard flippers like the Finch knives, I would be all over them.

I'm glad there are more makers who are blending traditional designs with modern tech now. From the Fox and Lionsteel slipjoints made with M390 and Ti, to the Benchmade Crooked River, and these Finch knives, they've become one of my favorite categories of knives.

Personally I dislike front flippers. The only benefit they have is that the tab is recessed in the open position, otherwise they're awkward to open and require too much dexterity after you pull it out of your pocket. But that's just my opinion, other people seem to love them, and that's why Pena's front flipper traditionals have been super successful. If those were standard flippers like the Finch knives, I would be all over them.

I am getting a little off topic, but:
Top flippers give me those same dexterity problems, but not front flipper-I find top flippers to be extremely awkward, so it seems to be individual preference.
Pena does/ or did make some top flippers, but they are customs not X series

Last edited:
Really like that green! I'm even debating getting the Holliday model but have so many I'd like to pickup. Anyone wanna donate one
The OD Green is a DLT Trading exclusive. Looks like a run of 50 units. If that's your choice, you might want to grab one sooner than later. I'm really grooving on the Snakewood Holliday but I wish the handle shape wasn't so boxy.
I am getting a little off topic, but:
Top flippers give me those same dexterity problems, but not front flipper-I find top flippers to be extremely awkward, so it seems to be individual preference.
Pena does/ or did make some top flippers, but they are customs not X series
I have trouble with some top flippers too. I think the more prominent the flipper tab, the harder it is for my old fingers to traverse the flipping motion. I love my XM18, but it's not comfortable to flip. As far as top flippers go, the tab on this Finch 1929 is one of the most comfortable to me. Lightswitch or Pushbutton, it flips easily every time. I can even use the side of my index flipper on this tab. The detent is nicely dialed in too. Very impressive for a $120 knife.

Great knife, I have gotten a ton of use out of mine.

Jordan, do you know who their OEM is? I think I read somewhere that it was Bestech, is that true, or do they use different ones for different knives?

It's a good thing we all don't like the same thing, otherwise there would be one type of knife, and we'd have nothing to talk about! :D

Jordan, do you know who their OEM is? I think I read somewhere that it was Bestech, is that true, or do they use different ones for different knives?

It's a good thing we all don't like the same thing, otherwise there would be one type of knife, and we'd have nothing to talk about! :D

Bestech is correct, they have fantastic fit and finish and execution, especially considering how inexpensive these are.

It's made in China, so I'm automatically out. Also, the design itself doesn't do anything very well. It's like someone wanted to do a very simplistic take on a traditional, using modern materials and construction methods. If I want that, I'll pick up another Lionsteel.

Edit to clarify: Not to imply that Lionsteels are very simplistic takes, their "modern traditionals" are actually VERY well executed.

Last edited:
The OD Green is a DLT Trading exclusive. Looks like a run of 50 units. If that's your choice, you might want to grab one sooner than later. I'm really grooving on the Snakewood Holliday but I wish the handle shape wasn't so boxy.

I have trouble with some top flippers too. I think the more prominent the flipper tab, the harder it is for my old fingers to traverse the flipping motion. I love my XM18, but it's not comfortable to flip. As far as top flippers go, the tab on this Finch 1929 is one of the most comfortable to me. Lightswitch or Pushbutton, it flips easily every time. I can even use the side of my index flipper on this tab. The detent is nicely dialed in too. Very impressive for a $120 knife.

That's my only dislike on the Holliday model. I see they rounded the corners off but it's still very boxy. I'd like to see the edges rounded a tad more. Still think this is a good summer shorts EDC.

It's made in China, so I'm automatically out. Also, the design itself doesn't do anything very well. It's like someone wanted to do a very simplistic take on a traditional, using modern materials and construction methods. If I want that, I'll pick up another Lionsteel.

Edit to clarify: Not to imply that Lionsteels are very simplistic takes, their "modern traditionals" are actually VERY well executed.
I’m not challenging your decision to avoid Chinese knives, nor your personal opinion regarding the style of the Finch, but I did want to put this out there:
View attachment 1512951
Between these two knives the relative quality of F&F is close to equal in my opinion. The LionSteel is probably a little more complex due to its “3D” nature. Given each design, I consider these two knives to be on a similar tier in terms of quality of manufacture. The LionSteel has much better blade steel, but I tend to not notice that much in practice.

I only have one Finch specimen to consider, so I might have the best one ever made. My experience with LionSteel has been a fairly significant variance in quality from model to model.

I don't usually like small knives, but this one is a blast to fidget with.
v4ngnh3.jpg

Back