Find the hidden

Joss,

I can honestly say that Ray's use of "unknown" steel is part of what drew me to buying one of his knives. I bought a "Hay Rake Tine- Zebrawood" knife from him. He said the material used to make the knife was from an old hay rake tine that had been used as a primative form of rebar in a wall. The wall fell down. . . and I guess my knife fell out.

I like that Ray often includes the source of the steel in his name of the knife. I asked him about using found steel and he replied, "I enjoy giving something that would be considered junk a new life. It may be dinged and have some rust on it but inside its brand new." (Ray-I hope you do not mind the quote.)

From the high quality of Ray's work it is obvious that he is a fine craftsman. His ability to use found steel and forge it into a working blade is "magic" to me. The source of the steel often seems to inform the design of the blade. I would guess that this is true both in the physical sense; how the steel moves under the hammer and in the creative sense; how Ray pictures the finished knife.

What drew me originally to his work is the way he blends old and new. His knives look hand-crafted and real and at the same time something about the lines of the knives make them look timeless. I remember one of the first knives I saw of his: smooth, octagonal(?), blackwood handle; textured wrought iron fittings; gorgeous curving blade. I feel his choice to use found materials along with his design and execution makes his knives "art." (in the best sense of the word).

To finish out the Raymond Richard love fest- He is a hell of a nice guy. I bought a knife from him and from just a few emails I felt like I had made a new friend.

Kim Salls

Nice hammer work indeed.... Would also like to comment on "unkown" steels from another bladesmiths view.

While I have over a ton (literally) of W2/1095 to work with, sometimes I like to walk out to the "scrap pile" and dig through the steel to find something that catches my attention and asks to be forged ;)

What I normally do is forge out a small piece that sectionally replicates a knife blade. I do a standard 1450/quinch/temper cycle and see what happens. I then do some cutting test/flex test/and a final destructive test.

Sometimes I have favorable results, sometimes I dont. If in fact I think the test piece indicates the unkown steel will make a good servicable knife I will forge out a blade.

I have used some crow bar with good results, as well as leaf springs of varios sizes. Since I bring leaf springs up, and I know alot of guys are using them... be carefull.... all leaf springs arent created equal and ive had a fair share that simply will not harden enough for a servicable blade.

So, all this to simply say that sometimes its just FUN to forge a blade from something other than the known, safe and good steels that you have on hand...

The rebar that I collected was off jobs I worked in the 90's. There is a large amount of scrap used to make it. There are also several grades. I've only used 60 grade which was the only grade used on the jobs I work. I did get a piece checked out and carbon content was .43 and I'm sure that will vary from batch to batch. This blade hardened up nicely just using oil for a quench. I'll mess with the rebar once or twice a year now. Sold many knives made out of it when I worked construction.

Hey Raymond:
After seeing your beautiful pointy things yesterday, I took a look at the rebar that my work sells. The new bundles all have plastic tags wired to the end that say 60 grade! I couldn't say whether or not all new rebar for sale is 60 grade, but our's is. What diameter are you using? If you ever run low, or want a different size to use, email me. My work probably sells more rebar than anyone else in the state, from 3/8 up to 1" or so.

I love this knife. The handle style especially catches my eye. It reminds me of an old knife my father had (a Heavy machete 1/4 inch thick at least that had a leather wrapped handle with a ball end like that). It was a very comfortable handle shape to use for heavy chopping. It really anchored in the hand without being uncomfortable. That handle looks great when paired with the slim blade and guard. nice.

Hey Raymond:
After seeing your beautiful pointy things yesterday, I took a look at the rebar that my work sells. The new bundles all have plastic tags wired to the end that say 60 grade! I couldn't say whether or not all new rebar for sale is 60 grade, but our's is. What diameter are you using? If you ever run low, or want a different size to use, email me. My work probably sells more rebar than anyone else in the state, from 3/8 up to 1" or so.

Eric, Thanks for the offer! I do maybe 1 or 2 knives out of it a year and I still have rebar left even after using most of it in a foundation. The piece I used for this last knife was 6 bar or 3/4".

Bigfattyt, Normally my handles have a little curve to them so this last knife was against my norm with the straight handle. It just wouldn't look right with a curve to it. I've got the blade that I was holding in the picture real close to being a completed knife. It to has the same style handle except its thicker.

Back