Finger grooves on 110's

I asked in the forum when were the first finger grooves put on a 110 and I googled it and it said in 1983. So I had a friend in the BCCI look at the old catalogs from 1980 to 1984 and the first mention was in 1984 that finger grooves appeared on 110. Somebody was wrong when they said it was 1980 because they were not in any catalog until 1984 and maybe were being made in 1983 as per Google.

No, I would say 1980 or '81' because I have seen examples from collectors that own 4 dot 110's that have finger grooves. Which would be 82.
I may own one. I'll look. DM

1980 and 1981 are 3 dots. I have a few 4 dots with finger grooves that is still before 1986 when the first symbol was put on a knife < 1986. 1982 is also a 4 dot but may not have had the finger grooves. I am pretty certain none were made in 1980 and 1981.

Last edited:
Ok, perhaps so.^ I just checked some of my 4 dot models, that are new in the box with papers and they have the square frame and no finger
grooves. DM

Thank you Smitty0315 I thought that for a few years but do not belong to BCCI. Welcome to Buck Bladeforums. I don't usually post but given past answers I want to make sure of the date. I believe you are correct. I believe I thought the same. When David Martin chimes in he usually knows before saying anything, this time I believe he is wrong. He is still out checking.

Hello David thank you for your answers I was determined to find the correct answer to the question. I went back to Google and I cannot find what I read the first time I googled it. Thanks again.

Ok, I found a legitimate reference; in 'Blades Guide To Knives' the article on pg. 507 which I think was written by Larry Oden. Says, "Finger grooved 110's were introduced for the first time during this version. (the 4 dot)'' He is writing about the 110 from 1981-85. So, in this writing the exact year was not specified but the
stamp was. DM

Last edited:
Bucklife301 Thank you so much for posting the picture ad from 1983. That is my confirmation that the year of the 110 finger groove is correct. I cannot say the same for the 112. But Thank You Very Much, Joe.

It is quite possible that the catalogs are printed at the first of the year. Hence, Buck could have been doing finger grooves in 1982. DM

Yes David the data sheet says 1981-1986 but must mean 1985 for the four dots. Thank You also for helping me get the information I was trying to confirm. JOE

Just guessing here but just because it wasnt in the catalog doesnt mean it couldnt have been done earlier. They may have started them in limited production and wanted to make sure they had it before it went in the catalog.

Last edited:
Any 110 with finger grooves that's older than a 4-dot was done "custom" after leaving Buck, or had an older blade put in a newer frame (after leaving Buck). JMO

Bucklife301 Thank you so much for posting the picture ad from 1983. That is my confirmation that the year of the 110 finger groove is correct. I cannot say the same for the 112. But Thank You Very Much, Joe.

The 112 with finger grooves first appeared in the 1983 Catalog, I also looked through the 1981-84 Buck Custom Knife catalogs and couldn't find any options listed for adding finger grooves to either 110 or 112, but if someone asked I'm sure Buck's Custom Shop would have added finger grooves. I also think its possible to have a 4 dot 110 with finger grooves if it was built at the end of '82. I don't think Buck Knives would discard a knife with the previous years date stamp. Finger grooves are added after the knives are built. An 1982-early '83 will have radius handles edges but no radius in the thumb depression area. Late 1983-85 all the handles have radius edges.

Last edited:
Back