Finger saver ring

PEU

Gaucho Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Not long ago I saw a video for a grinder ring and it seems the idea got stuck in my mind... So I put it to work instead of procrastinating remembering videos :D

The idea is to save the pain for your index finger when grinding long freehand sessions, I use it for the bulk removal and it works like a charm, for the finishing I like to use the bare hand.

My only doubt is do I make them one size fits all or many sizes? it seats in the middle phalanx of your index finger, for me its comfortable at 20mm/0.785" hole, but I know people that have chorizos as fingers LMAO

What do you guys think? Thanks!

Pablo

u3ctRik.jpg

iEuFCHV.jpg

Last edited:

A.McPherson

Nice! That's a pretty cool idea! Let us know how it works for you!!

PEU

Gaucho Knifemaker
Lmao zombie green, these are prototypes I made with my 3D printer, the plan is to make them in brass or stainless.

What do you guys thing about the diameter of the finger hole?

Pablo

I like the colour.
I think it won't be unhandy if the hole is to large. I hate it if things get made and my finger won't fit.
Maybe do a S, M & L-size?

Edit: 18mm would fit me comfortably, 20mm loosely

PEU

Gaucho Knifemaker
I like the colour.
I think it won't be unhandy if the hole is to large. I hate it if things get made and my finger won't fit.
Maybe do a S, M & L-size?

Edit: 18mm would fit me comfortably, 20mm loosely

We do have similarly sized fingers, 18 is a snug fit, 20 leaves a small space which I feel the most comfortable. My first prototypes were larger holes and I scrapped that idea

Pablo

3fifty7

Gold Member
I’d like something close to 22mm(12pt box end wrench is my gauge) and I think I’d prefer plastic or aluminum.

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
I am making some in bronze as well as nylon. I would suggest making them in three opening sizes - 20mm, 24mm, and 28mm - to allow for small, medium, and large hands.

Alex Topfer

Basic Member
hmm, it seems unlikely but i would worry about it getting caught in the 3hp grinder
for reference my finger would need a 22mm hole.

I came across the same videos Pablo, cool idea.
How about one large size with a couple of different diameter inserts.

Peter.

I can see that working nicely for hogging - would brass conduct heat (when hogging) too much allowing a bare finger to get hot? I'll be making a prototype from Aluminum to see how it works. It'll be a few days, got too much "playing" to do with a new press :)

scott kozub

Gold Member
I was thinking about the insert idea as well. Alternatively, every knife maker has a drill press and the ability to make their own hole to a size they want. Just leave a centered pilot hole and the buyer can drill it. That may seem a little weird though.

billf

Platinum Member
Pablo

real cool!
color me interested !

i'd think nylon/UHMWPE or aluminum would be ideal materials...

Bill

PEU

Gaucho Knifemaker
I came across the same videos Pablo, cool idea.
How about one large size with a couple of different diameter inserts.

Thought about this, but that will leave the index finger away from the blade, I found that the closer the index it to the belt the better.

Cast brass or aluminum are my options, plastic could work but I think it will deteriorate sooner than later.

Pablo