Finger saver ring

PEU PEU video of it in action by any chance?

Oh I see, but we all know a belt grinder is not a lathe that can grab a finger, an arm or a whole person... Worst accident I had at the grinder was a 36 grit belt seam that failed and left an interesting mark for a few days in my torso and of course scratches here and there...

Pablo

Hardened steel could be useful so it doesn't get damaged as bad with slips although if you could have them for a reasonable price out of plastic they could be replaced if they get damaged. I guess bronze is pretty resistant to grinding but it's expensive. How good is the plastic out of a 3D printer?

If the cost isn't to high I would definitely buy one. If the price is to high I have a feeling people who like the idea might be likely to just drill out a piece of wood. I'm not trying to talk down your price I was just thinking out loud I guess. I love the idea.

Last edited:
Hardened steel could be useful so it doesn't get damaged as bad with slips although if you could have them for a reasonable price out of plastic they could be replaced if they get damaged. I guess bronze is pretty resistant to grinding but it's expensive. How good is the plastic out of a 3D printer?

If the cost isn't to high I would definitely buy one. If the price is to high I have a feeling people who like the idea might be likely to just drill out a piece of wood. I'm not trying to talk down your price I was just thinking out loud I guess. I love the idea.

What I thought would be a good idea is to drill a 1/8" hole below the knife seat and glue a broken carbide tool there, I left the space for it, maybe leaving a small divot as a guide for someone wanting to do this is a good idea. Didn't think about the prices, but as posted above, the one I saw was way over what I would spend...

Pablo

Looks like a great idea to me but especially on a chefs knife looks like the leading edge to the grinder belt would hit way before the appropriate bevel would be reached. I don't see any way it would be useful at that width but especially not for a paring knife. Maybe I'm way off base here. Apologize if I am.

What I thought would be a good idea is to drill a 1/8" hole below the knife seat and glue a broken carbide tool there, I left the space for it, maybe leaving a small divot as a guide for someone wanting to do this is a good idea. Didn't think about the prices, but as posted above, the one I saw was way over what I would spend...

Pablo

Looks like a great idea to me but especially on a chefs knife looks like the leading edge to the grinder belt would hit way before the appropriate bevel would be reached. I don't see any way it would be useful at that width but especially not for a paring knife. Maybe I'm way off base here. Apologize if I am.
I'm not sure if carbide is a great idea unless it is very thin. On similar gadgets I've made, the ledge always wears away until it is the same thickness as the spine of whatever knife I'm grinding. If you had a carbide ledge that is thicker than the spine and does not wear, I think what LCoop describes would happen. I made some very thin petty knives recently using a birch plywood blade support/push stick and the ledge was almost gone at the end. I just reground the ledge for the next knife. Even made from plywood, they last for may knives.

What I found using this tool is that is great for bulk removal, but up in the grind when you are about to finish, specially in thin knives like I do, I prefer to have the biological thermometer (aka finger) touching the blade.

Pablo

Pablo
I love the idea. I would buy one if I could. I just want you to be successful so I can get one. I like making tools but knives are my favorite tools and I prefer to build them vs other stuff.

Quick update. I'll visit a friend who works with lost wax brass molds next week, he quoted me a nice price if I do the finishing! Now I'm anxious...!
Settled on three sizes, 20-22-25mm rings

Pablo

Buying offer removed. Please do not do it again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Buying offer removed. Please do not do it again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pablo why not put a screw on the bottom the act as a shelf ?? maybe make them from aluminum???
ill take a rough cast one to help support it ..

OK guys, you both know better than to make buying/selling offers in Shop Talk. Please email or PM Pablo with such questions.

OK guys, you both know better than to make buying/selling offers in Shop Talk. Please email or PM Pablo with such questions.
Sorry Stacy I wasn’t trying to break a rule, I was just asking for more info in a direct pm if Pablo was even interested in having more made. Thought my post was vague enough it would be okay. I’ll make sure not to do that again.

Today I went to my friends shop, he will do a lost PLA casting from my 3d print and from it he will make a rubber mold to see how much it shrinks so I can do new PLA rings a % bigger to compensate for shrinkage. This will take the whole week.

Pablo

Back