Finished my first ever leather sheath.

After reading and studying several threads in this forum and watching numerous YouTube videos I have created my first ever leather sheath. A thanks to all who answered questions and posted helpful threads.

I had an inexpensive Condor Kephart that came with a sheath that was three sizes to big, the knife would fall out if you looked at it wrong. I figured giving it some pants would be as good a place as any to start.

Dyed it Saddle Tan and then put a coat of protective leather wax on it.

I underestimated how much thread I would need and ran out a inch or so from the tip so it looks a little special in that area. I pulled out a piece of thread that was four times the length of the sheath. I thought that would have been enough.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Darn nice looking sheath for a first attempt!! Well done. :D

Good job! After a good many number of sheaths, you kind of learn how much thread it takes....until then, measure out how much you *think* you'll need, and then pull a quarter more just for good measure. I've always been partial to Saddle tan; nice choice.

Ya knoweven with a machine seems ya run out of bottom thread on the bobbin just at the wrong time too. Nice job! keep er up and keep posting pics!

Thank you all for the kind words. :thumbsup:

I'm currently sitting here trying to figure out how to do my next sheath.

You guys didn't say anything about this being addictive.

Great job for your first attempt. I've been thinking myself of getting into making leather Sheaths and Holsters because it seems next to impossible at times to get what you want. Lots of respect to you for giving it a go ... keep it up.

Much better than my first, good stuff. When I'm sewing the edge on 8-9oz leather with a welt I go 8x the length of the seam.

Thanks again for the help. Next time I'll definitely be trying the six or eight times the length of thread recommendations. I'd rather waste a little thread than run out again.

Very nice job! In all likelihood, it is better than my first 15, but that's about the time I stumbled in around here.
For thread length, I normally use the formula of...
length of stitch x (total layers of leather plus 2) + however much I want left at the end to finish to be able to pull things tight comfortably.
Again, good job. Keep working on drawing up your own patterns. If you continue the craft it will pay off down the road. I have a friend who is quite a bit better at leather than I am, especially when it comes to carving. However, if it doesn't come in a Craftaid or other commercial pattern, he simply can't do it.

Chris

Unless you always work with the same leather thickness and same number of layers of leather, no general rule like “7 times length of stitching” will work well to estimate length of thread needed for saddle stitching. So I calculate the exact amount of thread. It’s easy, and I never worry about running out or wasting thread.

First, measure thickness of leather [T]. (If you have partial welts, you need to compensate for that by using average thickness.) Second, count number of stitches (include the number of back stitches). Third, measure length of stitch line [L]. Fourth, I add 12" to have extra to thread needles and to manipulate needles to make last stitches. Then apply this formula: (2xTxS) + (2xL) + 12. Never worry about thread length again.

Sorry. Somehow my last post had several lines scored through, and I can't find way to correct. I tried "edit", but changes never happened.

The formula is (2xTxS) + (2xL) + 12.

I started my second ever sheath today and have already screwed it up.

I glued the strip to the wrong side of the back leather piece.

:( :D

I started my second ever sheath today and have already screwed it up.

I glued the strip to the wrong side of the back leather piece.

:( :D
That's how we learn :) Thankfully, you won't make that same mistake again :)

Back