1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Finished the New POST anvil

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by A C Richards, Feb 27, 2008.

1. A C Richards

A C Richards Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Apr 14, 2006
    picked this chunk of steel up a month ago and finally got er set up. Face is 4"x10" 24 inches long and weighs 200lbs. Will be working on work hardening the face. I get about a 50% rebound right now. If I have to I will hardface it but since it is just for doing bevels I don't think I will need to. Can't wait to beat on some hot steel.

2. Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Aug 6, 2007
    Oh man, jealousy is kickin in right about now:D. Any idea what steel it is Chuck?

3. A C Richards

Apr 14, 2006
    It's 1018. I got it from a steel supplier as a drop and had to cut off edges and the bottom. But it has a decent rebound now and with some work it will be even better.

4. Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Aug 6, 2007
    Are you going to hardface it with hardfacing rod then grind it flat?

5. A C Richards

Apr 14, 2006
    I am going to try work hardening first. If I have to then i will hardface it. I think the work hardening will do fine but I can always upgrade.

6. oldold442

oldold442

Dec 11, 2006
    sorry, but it just doesn't "look" like an anvil...

7. A C Richards

Apr 14, 2006
    Just look behind it in the third picture:D:D:D

8. Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Aug 6, 2007
    WHo said an anvil needs to look like an anvil?!? Just because it doesn't look like a london pattern anvil doesn't mean it isn't one.

9. Justin.Mercier

Justin.Mercier

Oct 21, 2006
    I have 3 anvils that people wouldn't say look like anvils, and they all work great. I'm even looking at picking up one of Jymm Hoffman's hornless colonial pattern anvils eventually. An anvil through history has looked more like Chuck's block than a london pattern anvil anyways.

10. bennett

bennett

Sep 22, 2005
    That is a really cool idea for a post anvil. I just became inspired to try the "railroad-car-axle-as-anvil" idea - thanks!

11. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan

Oct 2, 2007
    looks like an anvil to me....

looks perfect to me!

12. Raymond Richard

Raymond Richard

Jun 17, 2001
    Chuck, If you didn't have a concrete floor I would have sworn I was looking at my shop floor. I've got more hammers down than you. Thats quite a chunk of steel you have. Hope you had a hand getting it cribbed up. I've got Goddard's post anvil. I use it from time to time but would rather use the Trenton. Its only got about a 4" X 5" face but weighs almost 300 pounds.

13. A C Richards

Apr 14, 2006
    Yeh I get depressed looking at all the pictures of these clean shops. I just had to leave mine dirty, (as if i would clean it anyway).. I just keep the main path sort of clear. I don't know how it will work but i got it if I want to use it. My main anvils weighs 250 so that is not a prob. Take a look at my other post bout the 52100. Now that would be a post anvil.

14. sunshadow

sunshadow

Oct 2, 2006
    Chuck, I bet if you fill in your cribbing with something non-compressible like sackrete you will get more usable rebound reflected back into the work

-Page

15. A C Richards

Apr 14, 2006
    Page.

Yeh I thought about the sackrete. I did not really want to add another 100lbs to the whole set up. I could never move it. I will be doing finishing on this one so i am not as worried about full rebound. It is actually getting a bit better by work hardening the surface. Will be forging on it today to see what it feels like.

16. Raymond Richard

Raymond Richard

Jun 17, 2001
    Chuck, I just spotted the broom. It looks to have never been used.

17. atakach

atakach

Jan 17, 2008
    looks similar to the anvils used by the japaneese swordsmiths. i dont know bout work hardening though, i like the sound of the rods then surface grinding it. all depends on how much your really gonna use it.

www.takachforge.com

18. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Drool. Been looking for something similar for sooooooo long.

19. A C Richards

Apr 14, 2006
    A BROOM>>>>>A BROOM?????? Guess that's what happens when you let a woman in the shop:D:D:D:D

20. A C Richards

Apr 14, 2006
    I actually do use a broom from time to time. Not nearly enough for my wife though.

ATAKACH, it was designed after the Japanese Swordsmiths. I understand that they use mild steel also and just hit a little harder. It has been work hardening as I beat on it and mild steel will work harden, not as much as 4140 but it does get harder. I am not using this for heavy forging. For that I have my hammer/press/and 250lb fisher. The fisher has a 95% return. Really a sweet anvil that I inherited from my wifes grandfather. Sentimental value there too.