Finished the New POST anvil

picked this chunk of steel up a month ago and finally got er set up. Face is 4"x10" 24 inches long and weighs 200lbs. Will be working on work hardening the face. I get about a 50% rebound right now. If I have to I will hardface it but since it is just for doing bevels I don't think I will need to. Can't wait to beat on some hot steel.

It's 1018. I got it from a steel supplier as a drop and had to cut off edges and the bottom. But it has a decent rebound now and with some work it will be even better.

I am going to try work hardening first. If I have to then i will hardface it. I think the work hardening will do fine but I can always upgrade.

WHo said an anvil needs to look like an anvil?!? Just because it doesn't look like a london pattern anvil doesn't mean it isn't one.

I have 3 anvils that people wouldn't say look like anvils, and they all work great. I'm even looking at picking up one of Jymm Hoffman's hornless colonial pattern anvils eventually. An anvil through history has looked more like Chuck's block than a london pattern anvil anyways.

That is a really cool idea for a post anvil. I just became inspired to try the "railroad-car-axle-as-anvil" idea - thanks!

Chuck, If you didn't have a concrete floor I would have sworn I was looking at my shop floor. I've got more hammers down than you. Thats quite a chunk of steel you have. Hope you had a hand getting it cribbed up. I've got Goddard's post anvil. I use it from time to time but would rather use the Trenton. Its only got about a 4" X 5" face but weighs almost 300 pounds.

Yeh I get depressed looking at all the pictures of these clean shops. I just had to leave mine dirty, (as if i would clean it anyway).. I just keep the main path sort of clear. I don't know how it will work but i got it if I want to use it. My main anvils weighs 250 so that is not a prob. Take a look at my other post bout the 52100. Now that would be a post anvil.

Chuck, I bet if you fill in your cribbing with something non-compressible like sackrete you will get more usable rebound reflected back into the work

-Page

Page.

Yeh I thought about the sackrete. I did not really want to add another 100lbs to the whole set up. I could never move it. I will be doing finishing on this one so i am not as worried about full rebound. It is actually getting a bit better by work hardening the surface. Will be forging on it today to see what it feels like.

looks similar to the anvils used by the japaneese swordsmiths. i dont know bout work hardening though, i like the sound of the rods then surface grinding it. all depends on how much your really gonna use it.

www.takachforge.com

I actually do use a broom from time to time. Not nearly enough for my wife though.

ATAKACH, it was designed after the Japanese Swordsmiths. I understand that they use mild steel also and just hit a little harder. It has been work hardening as I beat on it and mild steel will work harden, not as much as 4140 but it does get harder. I am not using this for heavy forging. For that I have my hammer/press/and 250lb fisher. The fisher has a 95% return. Really a sweet anvil that I inherited from my wifes grandfather. Sentimental value there too.

Back