Finn Gear? M390 fixed Valietaa II

I stumbled upon this Valietaa II looking around and this piece with M390 blade steel is beautiful and not overpriced.

10.jpg

I’m new, apologize in advance if not allowed to link let me know:
Mine comes in a sweet wood box. Not anyway affiliated, just sharing. Could not find in BF search by maker or model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im no MOD but your link might be construed as deal spotting, if its a link to a non-forum-supporting vendor hence frowned upon but dont take my word for it.
A MOD might be along and tell you one way or the other.

As for the knife, Im not familiar with the company but its a beautiful knife and in a nice steel to boot. Do give us a report on it after you used it some.
Congrats on what looks like a very useful knife. Look forward to pics of your knife.

Thanks, Blade Scout! I guess I will need to upgrade membership to post pics after I get the knife, still learnin’ the rules... looking at their website these people seem to not have much in stock apart from their blades. Unique offering for sure and that birch handle, material, shape.

Edit: I may be accused of being a fancy lad out on the hunt with this one.

No, you dont need to up your membership to post pics. Snap some pics and upload them to a photo host like for example imgur. Its very easy to do and takes but a few minutes.
Pics of your knife (when you get it) will be welcome, as the pics on the vendors website are small and dont give a proper impression of what looks to be a nice knife.
Their website and pics could be better.

NB also check out Polk Knives here on the forum. If you like the Valietaa, youll like the Polk.

Thank you.

Who makes their knives and are there any reviews of use?

As the company logo is a fish, is it a Finnish company or a finnish company? The "About" page on their website is blank.

Finnish design, Russian made. I have my boning style knife and it rocks, nice and sharp. I took a chance on a knife and was pleasantly surprised. Their website to me reflects a fits and starts moment for a new business.

Look them up on the 'bay - they have one knife up for sale and 2 pieces of stabilized birch handle material for sale.

The handle feels like nothing else I've felt and is beautiful. Great presentation box.

I am satisfied with the knife i bought from them - really careful F & F. However, a minimum of transparency would be reassuring. They utterly fail to note the Russian connection, indicating that they are a New York City company. I have purchased other knives from Russian sources.

Tell us about/show us your knife... also let me know more about what kind of transparency you are looking for.

Last edited:
Odd, that the company is called Finn Gear, if they are Russian knives. Might of course be the name of the owner ;). Knives with a Finnish vibe appeals to some of us (myself included), so that might have something to do with it but then so does Russian knives. However, they might not be made in Russia. Its not as if we havent seen similar circumstances before (not that there necessarily has to be anything wrong with that).

I’m considering working with these folks so feedback is welcome and helpful.
How do you consider working with them?

Sure, thanks for asking. I saw that they look like an early stage company and reached out to them to see if they would like distribution help. I saw a new knife that I liked, bought it and wondered if others might not like them as well. To date, I'm mostly a distributor of good vibes, but I can be edgy when that's called for, pun intended.

I take them at face value that they are made in Russia and will be finding out more as I talk with them. Tell me more about those circumstances you mentioned above. Want to do my diligence.

Sure, thanks for asking. I saw that they look like an early stage company and reached out to them to see if they would like distribution help. I saw a new knife that I liked, bought it and wondered if others might not like them as well. To date, I'm mostly a distributor of good vibes, but I can be edgy when that's called for, pun intended.
I see.

I take them at face value that they are made in Russia and will be finding out more as I talk with them. Tell me more about those circumstances you mentioned above. Want to do my diligence.
Plenty of companies gives off the vibe of a certain country and/or knife culture.
-Fällkniven. Swedish vibe but made in Japan. FK make no bone about this. Nothing furtive here. High quality knives. Get one.
-Down Under Knives. Gives the impression of being made in Australia but have now added 'somewhere in Asia' as the manufacturer on their FAQ page. Horrid knives.
-Perkin knives. For the longest time, they tried to hide the origin of the knives. Now the company has been outed for their despicable business practices for so many years, that they have added 'made outside the UK.' Most likely made in Pakistan and for the longest time POS garbage 'crapmascus' and non damascus knife-like objects. They sell because some people dont know any better and because many are infatuated by 'damascus' knives. Company owned by a ruthless crook loathed by many in knife circles. POS product, Pond scum owner. Dont just stay away from this company - run, if you see a Perkin.

Mantis …. dont even get me started.

I cannot take the ones now advertised at 'face value" because, on their face, no origin is stated, I can only look at what I see, and they look acceptable - or better. One, of course, cannot see what steel is used or how it is heat treated.

The pictures I took as screen shots were lost in the Photobucket fiasco. I [ed know] ..,. this picture that I just found via Google is the knife:
jPYhqA0.png

I do have the descriptive text. Note that it claims the knife was made in Finland, not Russia.

Item specifics
Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is ... Read more
Brand:
Finn Gear
Type: Fixed Blade Model:
ODOTUS

Country/Region of Manufacture: Finland

ODOTUS - hunting knife of Limited Series. Hand made only with high quality materials.

Art: HK15003ELM

Steel: ELMAX by UDDEHOLM

HRC: 62-64 (Not Crio)

Handle material: Stabilized Wood (Brich Wart)[sic]

Full Leight [Length]: 237 mm

Handle L[h]eight: 123 mm

Blade Leight [Length]...: 114 mm

Blade Thickness: 3.7 mm

KnifeWeight: 131 g.

Ships in original wood box with black color leather sheath and cleaning napkin.

Knife is sharpened.

Last edited:
Back