Finnish/Earlier Scandi axes - Kirves

Deadfall, that is a beautiful axe. 12.3? Is it an ash handle?

I have seen his work around in pictures and thought it was awesome. Is he from Canada?

It looks like a lot of time and care was put into making that.

It looks longer than 28" but maybe it's how thin he got the handle and how much of the bit is there.

Very nice axe! :thumbsup:

He is from Canada actually. He sent me a few pics of the process and gave me the option to torch the handle or not. I declined myself, but he likes to do that to a lot of his work. I believe the handle is ash, but I'll have to ask him.

Also, I have a Wetterlings EX in the shed somewhere I havent hung yet. Ill try and get pics tomorrow if you'd like.

He is from Canada actually. He sent me a few pics of the process and gave me the option to torch the handle or not. I declined myself, but he likes to do that to a lot of his work. I believe the handle is ash, but I'll have to ask him.

Also, I have a Wetterlings EX in the shed somewhere I havent hung yet. Ill try and get pics tomorrow if you'd like.

Right on. Yeah, I'd like to see the Wetterlings EX if you get a chance.:thumbsup:

Here is a Black Locust from S. W. Michigan, USA:

AkU5kNP.jpg

Bark, leaves, and thorns are very distinctive.

Bob

Last edited:
Here is a Black Locust from S. W. Michigan, USA:

Bark, leaves, and thorns are very distinctive.

Bob
Color is pretty close to what I see around here. We have a borer that gets into it in some areas. Never do they seem to really threaten the health of the tree though. That tree has almost no sap wood and full of burl wood. Doesn't look healthy at all.

Thank you Bob, the creator of Traditional Tools has been hard at work. He enjoys the older stuff from Sweden and surrounding areas but is by no means a stranger to the Finnish style.

You have seen his site I imagine but if anyone hasn't, it's pretty neat - growing with material almost daily - much of it original through contacts with the Mother Land, first hand axe examples, self-created materials, etc.

I am starting to think that as you trace all of them back into their development and evolution you start touching on common methods, construction, and regions.

:thumbsup:

I've been working on several things but my interest in the Kirves hasn't waned lol.

Working on this Billnäs Kemi 12.3 to add to the user ranks - close to sharp enough to shave - not that I would want that thing near my face.

Cherry Flavored Kemi
by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

Well, at least sharp enough to scrape off any tan I might pick up lol.

Yesterday when I got home my Daughter told me I had got a package in the mail. Turned out to be from a good friend in Finland who sent me a copy of the book "Kirves" that Agent_H posted the cover back on page 3, and Olli send a small translation on what wood used for handles , birch. My friend has a some very nice Billnas axes to include a Billnas 12.3 P (Pioneer) SA marked axe. Now I have to think of something to repay him for his kindness. John

John, maybe you could ask him what is hard to get there and send a care package. Some guys in places outside the US enjoy nice double bits for example. To buy one for yourself and ship to yourself can be expensive.

A medium box with one axe head in it costs as much as a box filled to 20lbs to send. :thumbsup:

Agent-H, I have already asked him, and he replied the book was just a gift. Postage is very expensive, 32.90 Euros to mail the book, and if anything the Finnish postal system has more troubles then here in the USA. I do not know how they do it but the folks in Finland who sell the Skrama only charge about $10 for postage. I will find something to properly thank him for his gift. John

My Kirves has landed! Arrived yesterday from Estonia.

Billnäs 12/3 with custom paint job on the handle. Listing picture, :

I gave myself three options for the handle: sand, strip or replace. I decided I would first try to strip and hoped I would end up with an "aged" look:

Here is the progress so far:

Hopefully, a couple more pictures to follow.

Bob

Oooh, 12.3? Nice score, Bob!

Does it seem like even wear on the bit and a pretty clean poll as well?

What type of wood do you believe the handle to be and does the tongue/wedge seem solid?

I think the 12.3 is the most versatile size of the Kemis.

Also like seeing pictures of your shop :thumbsup:

Oooh, 12.3?
You would know better that I. It looks to me that it is marked 12. I believe the /3 is the smallest of the 12s. This one is actually a little shorter than the 1928 "Luettelo Billnäs'in Takeista" catalog I used. I figured bit wear. I'll do some more looking and post pictures. If it is not a 12/3 then I would certainly like to know.

Does it seem like even wear on the bit and a pretty clean poll as well?
The bit looks to me that it has more toe wear compared to the catalog illustration of a 12. The poll has definitely been used. I'll get a picture of that as well.

What type of wood do you believe the handle to be and does the tongue/wedge seem solid?
I don't know the type of wood. It looks similar to a handle I have on an HB hatchet - ligh color, very bland. FWIW, it seems likely that the HB handle is original because it has epoxy, but you never know. The head was a little loose when it arrived. It feels tight now. It may be humidity and/or stripper goop got in the eye. It doesn't appear to have a wedge.

Bob

Back