Finnish/Earlier Scandi axes - Kirves

From page 5 (in this thread):
I forgot I had this. Has this 1928 Billnäs tool catalog already been posted on this thread?

Large file. 258meg pdf.

Note: The images are stretched vertically.

http:\\cedarriverforge.com/Photo-index/axephotos/Finnish/Luettelo Billnäs'in Takeista 1928_01_01_1928.pdf
Just a suggestion to help newcomers to this thread. I am assuming that a new person would naturally want to start at the beginning, so that would be the first reference to that catalog they would see. Editing that post with this link would get them the same catalog but much faster (it's 38.3 MB):

Something else I found: Hole catalogue of 1928:
https://digi.kansalliskirjasto.fi/pienpainate/binding/338807?page=1 . . .

Bob

I'm guessing it's a Billnäs and the KoTe is someone's after market stamp.

The KoTe is interesting. I noticed it on two, maybe three other Kemi models that were up for auction from Finland around the time I picked up my first ones. It seems uniform enough to possibly rule out a "personal" mark. That one came from Olli69 apart from any of them for sale on the bay. With the capital K and T it strikes me as possibly an abbreviation.

Civil/government tool specific to a region/province? Red/White Guard? Mysterious... I would like to know as well.

"Kota" is something along the lines of "hut" or "shelter" in Finnish?

I was also under the impression that the larger head models were sold to be handled by the user. When did that stop? Or did it completely? Is it a fact that they always sent them out with a handle?
Not suggesting this is THE answer, but I found this interesting.

"Axes were in general sold without hafts up until the 1940s as everyone was expected to make their own hafts to fit the axe."

Quote from Lepola. Marcus' article:
Headhunting Billnäs "12" Axes

Bob

Not suggesting this is THE answer, but I found this interesting.

"Axes were in general sold without hafts up until the 1940s as everyone was expected to make their own hafts to fit the axe."

Quote from Lepola. Marcus' article:
Headhunting Billnäs "12" Axes

Bob

Right on, Bob. I regard him as an expert on the subject so I'll take that as as an operating assumption.

I haven't had any time to look up much info for entertainment in the last two weeks. So thank you :thumbsup:

...As for the "26": I'm thinking the same, but it kind of depends on a couple of things:
- Width of the section thats connected to the eye? (will it stand up to the punishment)
- How wide is the eye compared to the bit itself? (will it hit?)

Could you take measurements of the eye and the bit and the connecting piece (width)?
Could you take measurements of the length of the bit front to back (eye to cutting edge)?
Could you take a photo from top down?

If I get some measurements and a picture I could calculate if its up to the task or not. Normally it wouldn't be much of problem. My Danish axe (being kind of the granddaddy) is heavier, has a wider and longer bit, and a smaller neck (5:1 bit:neck ratio) And that stand up just fine. So I believe its actually quite possible. Why did it didn't happen?
-People where shorter, so long length handles wheren't neccesary.
-Trees are less wide in those parts and softer in general (birch being the mainstay).
-Handle wood was less dense/strong (again birch being the mainstay).
Could still be a genius concept though!

The lower one is the danish axe. with a head weight of about 3,5kg, so about 7.5 or 8 pounds. The "26" weighs in 2 pounds less
36113525886_1f81382551_h.jpg

Got a chance to take photos. Here are some rough measurements if you are still interested:

23” total, +/-16.5" exposed, 4lbs 10+oz:
Piilu Measurements by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

There’s something hairy in the eye…

Collar to end 7 ¼”

Toe to heel 6 1/8”

Connection 3.5”

Collar to heel 4”

Last edited:
Just one question: How wide is the thinnest part measured on the top. With that I mean the bridge measured on the top. But judging from the looks of it, it should be at least a 1/2 inch thick? If so, it should work just fine on a 36" handle. The narrowest it needs to be to hold up is 1/4". Thinner then that and structural integretty becomes a problem.

The point of breakage will allways be the point where the blade and the eye meet at the underside. Taking a round file and making the transition round should prevent that.

So, next question is, got a spare???? Because I want one :D Only the head though!

Is this the portion you are asking about or is the connection portion from the the collar to the bit?

I'm sorry, don't have an extra one - I'm not even sure what I am doing with this one for that matter lol.

Sometimes the auction listers/owners call them Billnäs or Kellokoski without marks.
This may mean nothing, but fwiw I found pictures of two /3s with rulers and did the following comparison. Billnäs on the left, Kellokoski on the right:

There seems to be a difference of about 15mm between these two in the length of the collars.

I noticed is that the Kellokoski axes have eyes that are more softened rectangular shape than the Billnäs.
Bob, what does your “eye” tell you?
Your picture looks that way to me. Picture with mine added:

The eye on mine is obviously distorted so viewers will need to make their own judgement. My opinion is the the original eye shape on mine was more likely (>50%) shaped like your Billnäs examples than the Kellokoski examples.

Bob

The Uittokalusto site offers five styles of Reeman axes:

I tried to find out more about Reeman, but my searches only brought back axe related content from the Uittokalusto site. I tried different search terms, but not being a Finnish speaker may have something to do with my lack of results. It is a little frustrating. If I was considering parting with 319,00 € for a piilukirves, I would think more information would be available.

Bob

Last edited:
Back