Finnish/Earlier Scandi axes - Kirves

Navertaja, nice job. I just checked and back on post #477 Agent_H posted a photo of my Billnäs with the shellacked handle if you care to see it. Also is that a older military belt that you are wearing? John
John's kirves again:
Via John A. Larsen:
fvqNWt8.jpg

zBkXFDC.jpg

5EK8c5T.jpg

Nice. Merry Christmas to you sir!
zBkXFDC.jpg

John: Checked, your axe is in really nice condition! I observed there was a discussion on the same page about Högfors axes: one unused is available here https://www.tori.fi/satakunta/Kirves_Hogfors_50319091.htm?ca=2&w=3

My belt is from Switzerland, military surplus.

Tori hijack pictures:
8492702865.jpg

8486459374.jpg

8403506012.jpg

I am currently in process of restoring two very very old axe heads back to usable condition. These were found in northern finland with a metal detector. I cleaned the largest chunks of rust and mud fron them with an angle grinder equipped with a steel brush, and then i have put them into electrolysis. Tomorrow we will see how they look like after electrolysis has cleaned all the rust off of them.
TFWiQ44.jpg

PH7ey07.jpg

s1n0FJu.jpg

I think the wire brush has given us a good idea of what they will look like. The first axe shows the heavily worn toe that is so common in old axes wherever they originate.

The 2nd axe has a bit that closely parallels the eye. This axe looks to have a lot of life still in it.

I am currently in process of restoring two very very old axe heads back to usable condition. These were found in northern finland with a metal detector. I cleaned the largest chunks of rust and mud fron them with an angle grinder equipped with a steel brush, and then i have put them into electrolysis. Tomorrow we will see how they look like after electrolysis has cleaned all the rust off of them.
TFWiQ44.jpg

PH7ey07.jpg

s1n0FJu.jpg

It's difficult for me to tell the Kemi models apart after wear and age but those two look to be maybe two different model numbers from rough, outward appearances.
PH7ey07.jpg

The top one in the photo looks like a heavier axe than the bottom one, granted the collar is knocked in some on the lower one so I'm looking more at the bit ends of the axes when I make that size comment.
Maybe an old 12.1/12.2 on top and a lighter model 12.3 on the bottom? I wonder how hard it would be for a skilled blacksmith to heat up the collars of those types of axes to straighten the damage out.

Please update us when you get them out of the cauldron :thumbsup:

Well, it is done. The handle ain't the prettiest one, but will do it's job. I will not use any kind of lacquer or stain in the handle,
as it will be replaced sooner or later. Other blade is still waiting for it's handle. it also needs to be ground quite a lot as it has a big chip in the blade.
Sadly no stamps in the blades, so i don't know the manufacturer.

6RIirxD.jpg

aSc88Vb.jpg

Hello fans of old collared axes. I have been collecting collared axes for years and now getting the impression that there might be some intrest In the US to find these fine axes. If you are In the hunt of a Billnäs or kellokoski axe and cannot find one you like I might be able To help as I live In Finland and have some contacts. I'll post some of my finest axes Here as soon as I take some pics. Feel free To contact if you think I might be able To help finding your long wanted axe head.

Hello fans of old collared axes. I have been collecting collared axes for years and now getting the impression that there might be some intrest In the US to find these fine axes. If you are In the hunt of a Billnäs or kellokoski axe and cannot find one you like I might be able To help as I live In Finland and have some contacts. I'll post some of my finest axes Here as soon as I take some pics. Feel free To contact if you think I might be able To help finding your long wanted axe head.

Some beautiful collared axes?
Please share some pictures of your favorites with us here - users or collection quality alike!

My first axe restoration, Billnäs 1123

vaOVS1l.jpg

OejiQZJ.jpg

Very nice! The 1123 was the updated shape/construction of the 12.3 with added "1" to the model. Good looking handle, did you make that one?
I watch these come up for sale from time to time but most are the larger models and, for the most part, quite worn in the bit. The edge/bit of yours looks very full.

The eyes on those models look bigger than the earlier models. I hope you don't mind me asking some questions (we don't have a lot of those here to inspect).
Did you acquire the axe with a handle already in it? If so, was there any colored epoxy around the opening of the eye?
Also, is there a two-digit number stamped into the other side?

Thank you for sharing your axe!

Very nice! The 1123 was the updated shape/construction of the 12.3 with added "1" to the model. Good looking handle, did you make that one?
I watch these come up for sale from time to time but most are the larger models and, for the most part, quite worn in the bit. The edge/bit of yours looks very full.

The eyes on those models look bigger than the earlier models. I hope you don't mind me asking some questions (we don't have a lot of those here to inspect).
Did you acquire the axe with a handle already in it? If so, was there any colored epoxy around the opening of the eye?
Also, is there a two-digit number stamped into the other side?

Thank you for sharing your axe!

Thank you for nice feedback and shown interest! Yes, I made the birch handle myself using hand tools . A quite big portion of patience was needed when carving the end for the eye, but well worth the effort now afterwards :) I bought the axe head without handle, and didn't have any 1123 handle for reference, so I made a template of a 1132 handle, and shortened it down to approx. 46cm, that I was told should be proper length of a 1123 handle. For protection and looks, I put on a 1:1:1 layer of pine tar, linseed oil and turpentine.
Yes, there was epoxy in the opening of the eye on these late Billnäs axes originally. This one doesn't have any other stamps than Billnäs 1123, but I know some heads are stamped with a year of manufacture two-digit number.

A quite big portion of patience was needed when carving the end for the eye, but well worth the effort now afterwards

Has anyone tried making a cast of the eye out of Play-Doh or similar and using that as a pattern for their handle?

I have one of these I need to hang and I thought I might try this. I think a hard-setting product might get stuck in the eye but Play-Doh wouldn't.

Has anyone tried making a cast of the eye out of Play-Doh or similar and using that as a pattern for their handle?

I have one of these I need to hang and I thought I might try this. I think a hard-setting product might get stuck in the eye but Play-Doh wouldn't.

Maybe a guy could take a gallon freezer bag, cut one corner off, run it through the collar until it’s sticking out the eye a good amount. A sort of liner. As you pack the hard-setting material in you could tie it off after all the air pockets/voids are filled. Once it sets, cut off whatever is outside the eye.
(Condom might work...)

The smaller one I handled I first messed around whittling a common 2x4 to get my head around the shape. I might it have somewhere here but it’s smaller and a little different angle than your Kemi.

It’s not complicated but they are different enough from what we are all so used to, I found it difficult to get started. My tendency is to take too much off the end as I'm fitting it.

Before I run out of light, a couple of handle thoughts/shots. I really like how the middle one is shaped. Well-balance in use – it has a little forward offset at the head that seems to line it up well. The blue one’s handle pops out to look at the end as well. I used it for the template for the yellow Kemi 12.3.
I’d be happy to trace those/any of them out for you.

Lumi.Kirves

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152199124@N07/

Lumi.Kirves
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152199124@N07/
Also, if you have one handy, the tongues on those Swedish brush axes are pretty close to fitting the Kemi shape as a reference.

Back