Fire Piston Photos Here!

Broke my pistons out today. Here's a photo of them again, along side a BK2 for size reference:

I wasn't sure how good they were going to work, because I store the plunger inside the piston, which you're really not supposed to do. It flattens the o-rings, or string out. I did lube them all with Vaseline before trying.

First up, is my Jeff Wagner Wilderness Solutions piston. I like this one, It works very well. Only downside to it, is that is has a stem made of Delrin, which melts a bit, if you're not quick to get the ember out. It's the one on the right in the above photo. Loaded it up with Chaga fungus, and it worked on the first try. Usually does, but was surprised, because of the o-ring being flattened out:

This is probably my favorite looks wise. Red stag horn, with a bone ember pick on the leather lanyard. It's made by Rose Mountain Fire Pistons. It works well, but the end is a bit unusual, and it makes it harder, imo, to get the tinder to stay in place. Worked on about the 3rd try:

This is my Primal Connection piston, made by Darrell Aune. Traditional string gasket, which has the cool factor, but doesn't really work as well as the o-ring pistons. The string was very flattened out, and it took me about 9-10 times to get it lit:

This is my James Spily custom. It has a long stroke, and normally works on the first try. The o-ring was so flattened out, I had to change it. No compression at all:

This piston came with a cool little ember pick / o-ring changer:

Slide the o-ring over the pick, and up the shaft:

It's machined to fit perfectly into the tinder pocket, which enables you to easily slide the o-ring onto the shaft. Works perfectly. It's a hell of a nice idea:

Loaded, and fired on the first try:

Last, but not least is my Wilderness Solutions, water buffalo horn piston. It's also a string gasket piston. It did work on the 3rd try:

It was fun to get them out again. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I know that this is a revitalised thread, but Aoin Innovation makes a good one. It's a fire piston, pen (uses Fischer Space Pen refills) and has a glass breaker. The pocket clip acts as the pick and has a matte anodized finish. I'll try to remember to pull mine out later for a photo.

Interested never heard of these. Is it like a one time shot to start then reload. Practical? Off to the world wide web to find out

I should break the fire pistons out again. Been some time now.

Back