Firesteel handle

I searched around a bit and I didn't find anyone with this idea and I'm shocked!
If this is an original idea, I'm proud of myself
Anyway....check out the picture below. Looks innocent enough, but upon
closer examination you will notice that the fire steel handle is made of none other than fatwood!
I think its a pretty need idea. I mean, you have your tinder and spark right at your finger tips. I just drilled a 3/8" hole in a piece of fatwood
and epoxied it into place. What could be easier and yet make you that much more prepared?
Just FYI, while fatwood is soft and some small slivers have come off on occasion, I've had this on my person all week and it still looks great.
Quite sure it would make it in the bush too!
In case your wondering too....I just used it to make a fire outside and so it still works just like fatwood
IMG_0984.jpg

Great idea! I have seen it on the Equipped to Survive forum board before but this is the first I've seen it here on WSS.

i don't see the point. once you use the hnadle to start a few fires you're back to square one. why not use a permanent handle and a larger chunk of fatwood with a hole and just tie the two together.

when the fatwood gets used up, drilling a fresh hole in a new chunk is fast and simple.

using the fatwood for the handle just seems like a endless series of make work projects.

i don't see the point. once you use the hnadle to start a few fires you're back to square one. why not use a permanent handle and a larger chunk of fatwood with a hole and just tie the two together.

when the fatwood gets used up, drilling a fresh hole in a new chunk is fast and simple.

using the fatwood for the handle just seems like a endless series of make work projects.
Maybe to you but not to me. To me your replacing a piece of equipment that serves only 1 purpose (handle)with 1 that serves 2 purposes(handle and tinder). You only use a small amount of fatwood to start a fire. I've started 5 fires with this current fatwood handle and I've got TONS more. Maybe your technique is wrong? I only use a small amount of fatwood as my tinder to ease the fire starting process. Just a guess, but I think a handle like what I have, would last at least few seasons and possibly more.

Maybe its not for you, but I've got a keeper here!

I've seen this done before. I kind of wonder how the fatwood carves and shines up when made into a normal shaped handle. I would only consider doing this if the particular batch of fatwood didn't have problems with heat and if it was there to be my emergency tinder only. I wouldn't want to have to keep replacing the fatwood every few fires I decided to light.

I'll stick with my nice shapely, sanded chunk of blue jean "micarta" for now.

I've seen this done before. I kind of wonder how the fatwood carves and shines up when made into a normal shaped handle. I would only consider doing this if the particular batch of fatwood didn't have problems with heat and if it was there to be my emergency tinder only. I wouldn't want to have to keep replacing the fatwood every few fires I decided to light.

I'll stick with my nice shapely, sanded chunk of blue jean "micarta" for now.

Every few times? I bet ya I could make 50 fires before I would need to replace it. Emergency tinder? Naw...this has become the only fatwood I'm going to carry from now on. Its just too convenient for me to pass up!
This is obviously not for everyone because of the responses I've received, but it is for me!

It is a interesting idea, definitely worth experimenting with:thumbup:

Make a jute lanyard with a piece of a hacksaw blade on it and your set. I made one last year like yours, but I always bring at least one extra piece of fatwood. The handle and lanyard are for backup. Two is one.

:) great minds and all that.

I posted this last December.

2426731370033885154S600x600Q85.jpg

How about fatwood chop sticks to go with them :)

2805123780033885154S600x600Q85.jpg

I wonder how well fatwood would seal up with some sort of clear coat sealant, to stop the resin from seeping and the handle from getting sticky? I like the idea, might have to give it a whirl myself:thumbup:

I wonder how well fatwood would seal up with some sort of clear coat sealant, to stop the resin from seeping and the handle from getting sticky? I like the idea, might have to give it a whirl myself:thumbup:

My guess would be that its even more oily then amoynia and Ironwood, and those cant be stabilized and do not seal well at all. i would say it would seal well. (Note: i am no means a expert)

Great idea, i need to do that, add the jute twin and its a great system i think. thanks for the post.

I have a couple very similiar, I used fatwood and wrapped jute around it. I don't know how many fires I can make before the handle needs to be replaced but do know that I like having the makings of a fire in one item.

I agree with You. I have one that I use as a demo that I have had for 2 years and the ferro rod is going to wear out before the wooden handle. Carrying an extra stick works well on a backpack, I have one on mine. But, to always be prepared, I carry a small Fatwood handle steel around my neck as EDC. Why, because I fell out of my boat in 36 degree water once and my pack was in the boat that I could not climb back into. BYW you did a good job on the handle.
https://www.facebook.com/6908239743...0823974396959/694054450740578/?type=1&theater

Last edited:
Great job. I really like what you did. I make some like your but glue the steel to the side of the block. I will have some on my twitter page and Facebook page soon.

I like the concept, but some fatwood gets very sticky when warm. Just a thought.

You are correct. If left in direct sunlight or in a hot car a really rich piece will release sap. At this point you can cool it down and clean it off. But there are ways to seal up the wood to minimize this. Soon my website will be up and running and they will be up for sale. All of our Fatwood handles are sealed to some extent. Some will be completely seal with a clear finish. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fat-Wood-Fire-Steels/690823974396959?ref=bookmarks

My guess would be that its even more oily then amoynia and Ironwood, and those cant be stabilized and do not seal well at all. i would say it would seal well. (Note: i am no means a expert)

Great idea, i need to do that, add the jute twin and its a great system i think. thanks for the post.

I want to make my own fatwood handle and have been thinking about the stickiness factor but moreso how to keep the fatwood from drying out over time.
Maybe a beeswax/linseed oil sealant? Or just beeswax, and use that to seal the jute to protect it? Love the jute idea by the way, makes much more sense for an all in one Firestarter package than paracord.

I read about making firesticks by covering jute with wax, that's where is idea came from. Maybe coat the jute with wax/oil then weaving it into a bracelet or some other design. Just a thought

Back