First Annual Pay It Forward Buildoff

I finally have everything finished up, I will Email you larger versions of these photos as well Lorien.

Lorien PIF "Domino" Knife:
Steel: 3/16" 5160 High Carbon
Grind: Sweeping plunge Flat Ground
OAL: 10.75"
Blade: 6" (Tip to Choil)
Scales: Dovetailed Ivory Micarta and Black G10
Liner: 1/16" G10 Garolite
Pins: 1/4" Stainless Tubing and 1/8" Nickel
Sheath: Ambidextrous Kiahdex Custom

LorienPIFFinalSm.jpg

LorienPIFSheathSm.jpg

Where do we go from Here Lorien?
Thanks for looking!

My PIF Buildoff Knife Is officially up for Sale over in the exchange... Wish Me Luck!

Thanks everyone... My knife was purchased today by Micheal Starr! The funds will be given to the scout master as soon as they return from scout camp on Saturday!

I had a blast doing this buildoff, thank you Lorien for the amazing design and thanks for all the great comments and support given in this thread. I will be waiting and watching anxiously for the remaining knives to be finished up!

the PIF has landed!
I'm so glad, and that Starr feller seems like a guy with good taste- well done, Ryan!
I feel inspired to get mine completed now too!

Mine will be heading out for HT next week. It remains to be seen if I'll be putting it up for sale, or just giving it directly to the charity I have in mind... I spoke to their director and she suggested I should just put it in their gallery. They sell a lot of art made by locals and the vets they work with. Pretty sure mine would be the first custom knife there, that sort of appeals to me :).

^appeals to me too, James! If this thing awakens even just one person to the world of custom knives, I'll consider it a great success.

Good morning guys.
As of this weekend, my PIF2011 knife is done.

First some Stats:
Open Length: 7-15/16"
Closed Length: 5-3/8"
Blade Length: 3-1/4" Tip to choil (flat-ground differentially heat-treated)
Steel: W2 from Don Hanson III
Handles: 6AL-4V Titanium w/ stainless hardware/latch
Inlay: Desert Ironwood
Pivots: 3/16" pivots w/ 1/4" bushings and PB washers

5870855911_c0f0eb73ac_b.jpg

I think that you should be able to see the bare-bones outline of Lorien's "C" design in this knife. I had to tweak the blade a bit to get it to fit into the handles with enough room left over for the spring-latch assembly.

5871412810_f7472252c8_b.jpg

Now I'm no Coop, and my camera-fu still needs some work. Anyone who's ever seen desert ironwood up close knows of the sparkly shimmer. I wasn't able to capture that, but this closed photo was probably my best shot of the inlays.

5870856271_f86057ce12_b.jpg

As mentioned in the stats, this blade was made from Don Hanson's W2. One thing that I'd like to mention at this point is that this blade was ground VERY thin. There is a slight secondary bevel along the straight portion of the cutting edge, and the tip has a thicker wedge/bevel for stability in the poke ;)... but in the belly of the transition from the tip, the grind is basically zero ground. All that to say, this knife would probably not be my choice for a hard-use utility knife.

5870856525_a8b47434d3_b.jpg

This photo shows the latch assembly. The latch itself is made from a 5mm stainless socket cap screw. It's spring-loaded... I'll post a video later. The knife only locks in the closed position. When the blade is open, the latch tucks in close to the end of the safe handle.

5871413396_8c3c62f01e_b.jpg

I felt this little addition went well with the Pay It Forward theme of the build.

Psalm 102:18
Let this be recorded for a generation to come, so that a people yet to be created may praise the LORD.

That said, it was not a simple process to get this etch to work out. Fixing a stencil to a concave surface about 1/8" wide is tricky to say the least.

5870856893_750d949e6a_b.jpg

Another photo of the full knife. You can see some of the "rain" coming out of the hamon clouds.

5871413776_91343ae1b3_b.jpg

Another shot of the closed knife.

I am really happy with the results... but it was a PITA and took me foreverrrrrr. Every time I make one of these high-tech flippy knives, I end up needing a break afterward to rest my brain. You'll probably also notice that I abandoned the pocket-clip. There were several reasons for that; the first being that I could not imagine the pointy tang of this knife being very comfortable against my thigh. Secondly, I decided that I really didn't want to partially obscure one of my ironwood inserts with a clip.

Now, concerning the Pay It Forward aspect of this project. Any profit made from the sale of this knife will go to ABBA Fund. This fund provides much need support for aging Swedish pop bands... just kidding. :D Abba Fund is actually a Christian organization that provides no-interest loans to help couples with all of the costs associated with the adoption process.

Erin

Holy Shiznit! that thing is crazy cool... Way to step up ERIN :eek: you have my vote, and the PIF Logo looks great. Do I still have time to do another one?:rolleyes:

Holy Shiznit! that thing is crazy cool... Way to step up ERIN :eek: you have my vote, and the PIF Logo looks great. Do I still have time to do another one?:rolleyes:

I still have the stencil... I don't think it's too fried (looks a bit scroungy, but I'd use it again). I'd be happy to mail it to you free of charge if you'd like. Just pm or email your address.

Awesome Erin! Man...that is freakin sick! Hoping to have mine completely finished tonight.....hope to be up to par with you guys.....

I still have the stencil... I don't think it's too fried (looks a bit scroungy, but I'd use it again). I'd be happy to mail it to you free of charge if you'd like. Just pm or email your address.

I appreciate that, but I have already shipped mine out to its new owner! Maybe Mike or the others could use it!

Looking forward to seeing yours Mike!

Erin, please send any photos you want posted up in the new thread; lorien @ bladeworks.ca

That's a great PIF cause! Families need more help adopting kids, so many people in this world and so many kids with no one to bring them up properly. Good one bro!

Well Guys and Gals, my garage has been like a three ring circus this past month because of reorganizing, setting up a work bench, mounting a sander and drill press and keeping gunpowder away from all the sparks! I'm not going to make my goal of having the PIF knife finished by June 30th but we're "steady as she blows". I've got a pretty good amount of work done on it and two other knives. These are my first knives. The plan I got from Lorien is the dagger style. I'm working on another dagger style knife and a coffin handle with a wharncliffe blade. I'm learning as I go and hope to have them all done and ready for heat treatment in the next week or two. I'll take some pics of them tomorrow and post them. None of the pics on macro of course!! (These things are looking a bit caveman/medieval right now!)

I've also decided to sell my PIF knife once I get it finished and donate the funds to the Wounded Warrior Project.

I'm super impressed with the workmanship of the other knives here. Great looking knives!

lookin good!

Back