First Annual Pay It Forward Buildoff

you're a good man, Michael Rader!

Well, not really, but that's okay.

Anyway, not sure when I'm going to get around to heat-treating it, but here is what I have so far and I'm also playing around with a turned Koa and Blackwood handle (not done yet.)

-M

Attachments

• standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 44
  • dagger WIP.jpg
    dagger WIP.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
mine eyes just popped from outta mine head!

Why, from my crappy photo? :)

So, when are you going to start the new thread with finished knives? Aren't there a few guys that are done already?
-M

I was going to wait until everyone gets me their finished pics, so that I can post them almost all at once
also, I'm thinking of doing this thread over in the 'collector's' forum. What sayest thou?

Last edited:
I thought about it, and I think that I will do the 'contest' thread up in the custom knives forum. It would be great to engage collectors in this process and get their feedback on why they like this or that knife, and see how the vote goes. I will do one post for each knife, and that will allow multiple images of each knife to be shown together in one post, and make the voting easier, (by post#).

So...if you think that having multiple views of your knife is a good thing, make sure that you take them and email them to lorien at bladeworks.ca

We'll wrap this thing up end of September, or into October.

Just an update from me...as I expected I wasn't able to complete mine before summer hit here in Phoenix, so I'm out of production until summer lets up a little. I just can't work when it's 110F...

Hopefully I can get back to it by October and squeeze in before this officially wraps up.

yay! Bevels are set! Onward and upward : )

Lorien, Would you mind telling me when the next one starts? I want to do this next time so that i have a little bit of motivation to do it right, but i guess i'm a little late for this one. also, thought for next time. could you do a kitchen knife based theme? so, a paring knife, a fillet knife and a santoku/chefs knife?

thanks,
Steven

haven't decided yet, Steven, but there definitely will be another PIF round in 2012. Any suggestions as to when to start and finish?

It will run about the same as this one, with a few tweaks, and I'll definitely design a kitchen utility knife as one of the three patterns.

start it before spring break, so all the kinks can be worked out by the time that those of us who are still in school can get some shop time. other than that, this seems like it has been long enough.

maybe I'll start it in February?

I think Feb. is a good time, beat the Heat! I will be in on the next one as well... Thanks Lorien, Lets get this one finished up!

for the next one, I'd like for it to finish just before Blade.

Folks- the 'poll' thread will be opened in the Custom and Handmade knives forum next month, which is in a couple of days.

If you would like any words to accompany your photos, please send them to me; lorien at bladeworks.ca. If you want to talk about your PiF, your knife making philosophy, who you are, etc. I think it will add more interest to the thread and to your work. It is way less work for me if you can send your photos directly by email.

Each participant's knife will get its own post, so if you have more than 10 pictures, choose the best ones and send those to me if you haven't already. 10 is the max number of photos for each knife that I will post.

For those of you who have not yet had the opportunity to 'Pay it Forward', this new thread will be an opportunity for some great exposure and I expect that there will be talk and questions so I hope that you all will be there to talk and answer. If you are planning to sell your knife and donate the money, this will be your best shot at exposure, but please keep any salesmanship out of the thread and deal with expressions of interest privately.

I've received final knife photos from Ryan, Mike and Erin so far. If you need to take more time, no problem, just send me your photos when you're done.

I'd like to wrap up the new thread around the end of September. The poll will start after all knife photos have been posted, at the end of September. If you can't make it in time, don't worry, there's always next year!

next round is a whole other thing. This is for this round. Let's not get ahead of ourselves!

Back