First attempt at making a sheath!

I stumbled across a Spartan Harsey Difensa at a pawn shop and the price was right, but unfortunatley the nylon sheath was hacked up in an poor customization attempt. I reached out to Gfeller Case Makers and they told me they could make a custom sheath similar to the one for the Pacific by CRK, but it was $165. They make very nice sheaths, but I got to thinking by the time I shipped them my knife, paid for shipping back, I'd be into it for over $200 and could lose the knife in the mail.

After attending 10 classes at youtube university, and after a six pack, I figured I could spend the same $200 and buy the tools and leather to do it myself, and gain a new skill at the same time. So that's what I did! A trip to the local Tandy leather yeilded me a hide with enough leather, tools, and materials to make 10-15 sheaths.

I started by tracing out the knife and making a template close to how I figured the Gfeller sheath was made.

I then cut out the material from the hide, and made a spacer for the thick blade.

I adjusted the design of the area covering the handle, trimming it back, then died the leather, assembled it and glued it.

Next step was sanding the edges even, cutting in the stitching groove, adding a trim border line, and adding the holes for sewing.
I used the forks to poke holes along the stitch groove, but had to use a drill press to punch all the way through. I used too big of a bit in my opinion, and
will remember this lesson on the next sheath. I wound up double stitching the sheath to add strength, and also fill up the holes.

I made my own vice to hold the project while I did the saddle stitching. My wife walked in and called me a weirdo. Hey, it worked!

After burnishing, and wet forming, Here is the final product! I don't think it turned out half bad for a first time leather project! It is definately servicable! I'm kicking myself because I used the area of the piece that had some scars because I figured my first sheath would be a total train wreck. Now I wish I had used a nicer piece!

super solid first go

Back