First Belt Grinder

I am interested in getting my first belt grinder for knife making. I don't have that much money to spend, and have decided to get either the Delta 1" or 4" belt grinder. I would think that this would be a good start, and then if I seriously get interested in making knives, maybe after collge, I will buy a better machine. My question is, of these two belt grinders, which one is recommended more as a starting machine? As far as I can tell, the 4" model would be better, as the larger belt would give me more control, and make the work much faster. Also, are the disk attachments used, or is it mainly the belt that would be used?

Thanks, Erik

I keep forgetting where I am.
redface.gif
redface.gif

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

[This message has been edited by Bugs3x (edited 04-17-2001).]

I started with a delta 1" machine and hated it. It was hard to work an area and not gove it up because of the narrow belt. I also have used the 4" machine and sometimes it's too big. It was good in working my handles. I am in the process of getting off some money and buying a grinder. I, like you couldn't do that to begin with. If I had to do it all again I would start with the 2" model. I saw one in a Sears the other day.
Good luck with your project,

after 4 years of very hard use and 150 knives my sears craftsman 2 x 42 belt grinder finally gave up the ghost. The motor burned up. It was a great machine and cost me $189.00 dollars. I'm moving up to a 2 x 72 JL Grinder but I plan on getting the sears motor rewound and using it for handle materials and and the disk for flattening. The only problem with the sears machine is when it burns up you lose two machines (belt and disk) in one instance. I use my disk for lots of stuff and its a must for dovetailing.

Arthur D. Washburn
ADW Custom Knives
www.adwcustomknives.com

BeowulftheGeat,
Dang! You make some fine knives! Did you grind all those on the Sears grinder? Maybe I should rethink my grinder needs as a new maker.

------------------
Usual Suspect
http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/arkhamdrifter/index.html

Where'd you find the 2 x 42 belts, I am having a heck of a time finding them.

Mark

Back