First benchmade

Congrats on your first Benchmade and the 940 platform is an excellent choice. I started out the opposite with Benchmades and then moving to Spydercos which I love both but tend to find Spyderco is more to my liking for daily carry and is personal Taste of course. The first knife i bought north of 150 bucks was also at 940 and after that all bets were off budget wise! Enjoy and post a pic.

Great classic choice! The axis lock really blew my mind the first time i handled one. Their crooked river is my most carried knife currently and i still carry my 940 plenty. Hope you like it!

A BM 940 was also my first >$150 knife and I remember feeling like a kid on Xmas morning when I opened up the package. The blade on the one they sent me was so wildly off-center that it was about one human hair width short of being in direct contact with the presentation side scale. It was obvious that nobody at BM had even looked at this one before they shipped it out and the box was sealed, so the vendor never caught it. Needless to say, mine got sent back to the vendor the next day. I hope your experience is the opposite of what mine was.

The 940 is a really great platform. I’m sure you’ll like it. My first Benchmade was a Mini Ritter that exceeded my expectations in just about every way possible. My only complaint is that I should have bought two at their original price point. It’s the knife I reach for whenever I can’t make up my mind on which to carry and that happens more than it should, haha.

Benchmade’s warranty is top notch too so I actually felt more inclined to use their knives like they’re supposed to be. I’ve yet to run into any issues that even called for a warranty fix.

My actual first BM i cant even recall the model but no doubt was a red class or HK branded. Now my first axis lock was the barrage but being assisted wasnt the full effect so a full-size griptilian was shortly after that and I was hooked! (Barrage deassisted after and works great as a manual). Now I own quite a few BMs and they are some of my favorites. I've even sent a couple of knives in for blade replacements because they were bought as combo edges used and had no issues with CS helping me out with getting new plain edge blades installed for very affordable prices. Love the axis lock!

Lotta folks like the 940. It's always good to check out the opposition, just to see if you've been missing anything with your Spydie collection.

Nothing wrong with exploring the ever-growing options we have in the knifeworld. Spydies are great, but there is so much more out there worth checking out.

I might be wrong, but I think my first knife in the ~$100 area was a Griptillian H2O(ish?). Great knife. I've since bought a Mini and Regular Crooked River.

Congrats,
My first was a bugout I bought for a friend and this is my real first one for myself
edHff7i.jpg

Reminds me of Charlie Mike

So my 940 should be here tomorrow and I'm a bit apprehensive about what I might receive out of the box. I just got done reading a thread about benchmade lack of QC....I just hope I don't have to send my first offering from benchmade back. I likely will just ask for a refund if its not perfect from the get-go.

Congratulations on the 940... one of my favorite Benchmades. I have the G10 PS variant and that's the BM I carry most often. Mine didn't come "perfect". The blade was a little off-center and the edge wasn't as sharp as I like. I spent 30 minutes or so "bonding" with my new knife and now the blade is centered and the edge gives me a clean shave with one easy stroke. And it touches up on my SM at the 15 dps setting.

All that is to say this... I recommend judging your knives on whether they meet your expectations instead of whether they meet the Internet's expectations. That new knife has one job... to satisfy you, not anyone else. You set your expectations and priorities based on what you want in a knife. And because they're your expectations of your knife... they're as valid as anyone else's. The Internet has its place and its uses, but the weight of Internet opinion shouldn't be allowed to shape your opinion... or mine, or anyone else's. And it shouldn't be allowed to tell us whether we're happy with our knives or not.

Enjoy the 940... it's a Benchmade classic because of it's light weight, slim design, and more-than-adequate cutting edge.

Nice choice. The 940 was my first carry folder over $110 and my first BM.
Still one of my two favorite EDCs.

My first Benchmade was a red box version when Benchmade still had some overseas production. My first US made Benchmade was the Mini Barrage.

Here is my most recent Benchmade

9348490-C-C1-FD-41-DB-A1-AA-F5422-E091404.jpg

The 551 Griptilian

So my 940 should be here tomorrow and I'm a bit apprehensive about what I might receive out of the box. I just got done reading a thread about benchmade lack of QC....I just hope I don't have to send my first offering from benchmade back. I likely will just ask for a refund if its not perfect from the get-go.

I've read the same ol' threads.

"Benchmade QC sucks..."

"Omega springs break all the time...."

"They are gun grabbers...."

If I gave up on a product every time somebody else's internet opinion ran afoul of it, I wouldn't own anything.

And if I abandoned a manufacturer because of one issue I had with one of their products, I wouldn't drive a vehicle.

But hey, it's your nickel.

Back