First Bussekin

Hi! After spending a bunch of time looking for an outdoors / camp knife, I decided to get a Mega Ratmandu. I ordered it this morning with a Swamp Comp finish and black g-10 scales. (I wish paper micarta was still a thing) I was looking at knives from fallkniven, bark river, esee, etc. but wherever I looked people kept mentioning the RMD. As soon as I saw the mega I knew it was the one and I can’t wait to get my hot little hands on it!

My last bladeforums post was 7 years ago but i wanted to come in here and share my excitement since I’ve been lurking all over BF looking for *the* knife and I finally found it right here :) I had actually never heard of Busse knives before I started looking for this blade. Lol now I have the next 6-32 weeks to think about patinas, sheaths, and sharpening.

For years I’ve freehanded on diamond stones but recently got a strop bat to play with. This will be my first convex edge so I’m hoping the strop will be enough to take it from factory to ridiculously sharp.

anyway, hi :)

I bet you get it within 2 to 3 weeks.

Maybe even less! I ordered on Dec 14. On Dec 16 I got and invoice and paid it. Today they said it should ship within 7 business days! As much as this kind of logistical inaccuracy bugs me I have a hard time complaining about it. Maybe it will ship out tomorrow lol.

So I guess I need to figure things out a little quicker. Like I said, this is my first convex edge. Do you guys think a strop will be enough to get it sharp or should I track down some sandpaper?

Pirtle's books are closed unfortunately but this knife isn't getting used for outdoors stuff till spring anyway.

Maybe even less! I ordered on Dec 14. On Dec 16 I got and invoice and paid it. Today they said it should ship within 7 business days! As much as this kind of logistical inaccuracy bugs me I have a hard time complaining about it. Maybe it will ship out tomorrow lol.

Yep shipped today :) Man, Busse must have had to deal with some real a-holes in the past to have to underpromise so drastically on delivery. But cool, I get to play with it all winter instead of waiting till spring :)

I would definitely strop it. I use my sheath in the bush but I like to use ceramic.

thanks! i've got a leather strop bat i was going to learn how to use. when you say ceramic do you mean like those hard ceramic sticks / whetstones?

thanks! i've got a leather strop bat i was going to learn how to use. when you say ceramic do you mean like those hard ceramic sticks / whetstones?

Yes, I call them honing wands but that's from my days as a chef. I find that it takes something a bit more than your average steel to hone our knives due to the 58-60 hardness.

oATGJcq

https://imgur.com/a/oATGJcq

It arrived! I havent used it yet but wanted to give my first impressions:

1. This knife feels great in the hand! The balance is exactly where I like it. It feels really substantial but super ergonomic.
2. The finish is really nice! I don't know how to describe it but its somehow shinier than a satin finish. I wish it would stay like this forever but since this is a user i will probably force a patina on it.
3. The stying is really nice! pictures don't do the knife justice. Its like the ergonomics were the priority but were executed in a way that makes the curves of the knife sexy. I can see why you all love Busse knives!

As soon as I held it in my hand it became my favorite fixed blade. I'm looking forward to a lifetime of service! I'll post more pics when I get the patina and sheath sorted out.

ps: i can't figure out how to get the imgur image to post. i'm working on it!

Last edited:
oATGJcq

https://imgur.com/a/oATGJcq

It arrived! I havent used it yet but wanted to give my first impressions:

1. This knife feels great in the hand! The balance is exactly where I like it. It feels really substantial but super ergonomic.
2. The finish is really nice! I don't know how to describe it but its somehow shinier than a satin finish. I wish it would stay like this forever but since this is a user i will probably force a patina on it.
3. The stying is really nice! pictures don't do the knife justice. Its like the ergonomics were the priority but were executed in a way that makes the curves of the knife sexy. I can see why you all love Busse knives!

As soon as I held it in my hand it became my favorite fixed blade. I'm looking forward to a lifetime of service! I'll post more pics when I get the patina and sheath sorted out.

ps: i can't figure out how to get the imgur image to post. i'm working on it!

You can Google how to post the photos on blade forums and that might help.

As for the forced patina when you get it done and pictures taken you should post it on the patina contest thread.

Back