First car, first love, first job, first drunk...

We all have these firsts, at least if you're over 16, usually they're all memorable I know all of mine left lasting impressions.

First car was a 1968 Dodge Coronet 500 Convertible, (my mom's car) I drove that car everywhere, the roof was always down even in the winter, I eventually traded it to a friend for a set of headers for my Jeep. He eventually brought it up to my mom's salvage yard to store and there it sat till it rotted to the ground about 10 years ago.

First love was a girl named Anne, I was 15, she was 18 goin' on 19. She was a gymnast and a mighty flexible one at that, I'll never forget the fight I got into with my parents over her being too old. My mom asked me what in hell a 15 year old boy and a 19 year old woman could possibly do all day? Dad looked at me and smiled told mom he'd have a talk with me and left it at that. Eventually I left her because of the pressure from my parents to see girls my own age. She still sent me cards on the holidays and after 15 years my wife made me call her and tell her to stop sending me cards, especially on Valentine's day. After that I never talked to or heard from her again although I occasionally look her up on FB but I've never found her. (I just wanna add in case my wife ever sees this, I love you Babe and I was just wonderin' what ever happened to her ;) )

First real job was McDonalds, lasted all of two weeks, prior to that I'd always been workin' as a kid I used to hustle jobs on the street, I'd do anything for a buck and at 15 I had more money in my pockets than most of my friends dads did. Eventually I got into the trades and stayed there till I retired.

My first drunk was in Hungary, I was 15 and we had gone home to tell my dad's parents that their son died in a plane crash. I was hangin' out with my cousin who was 13 and he'd stolen a bottle of grandpa's home made wine. I remember sitting on the front stoop of the house watching the horse and wagons dragging the hay in from the fields of the collective farm to the farmers homes. We'd killed off one bottle and were starting the second when I dropped the empty and it broke on the stoop. Just then my grandmother came out to see what the crash was and my cousin immediately sat down so grandma couldn't see him swayin'. Bad move as he sat right down on the broken bottle and promptly got a piece of glass in his derriere. Grandma knew and she made us squirm but she never ratted us out to him or our parents but we did volunteer to spend the weekend cleanin' out the attic of the house for her. :)

Any stories, pics or signed affidavits? ;)

Heh, I don't think anyone's going to top those stories, Ted. I for certain, cannot do so.

First car, first love, first job, first drunk...

First car was a Stingray bicycle...
First love happens every time I look at nekkid women photos in The Cove...
First job was as Wyatt Earp...
First drunk was back in 1971 or so with MD2020 rot-gut wine...

There are something's that stay so vivid to the mind, that it's there forever. I can remember some of my firsts like it was yesterday.

First car/truck, it was a 72 Ford single cab, gas tank behind the seat, three speed on the column. Me and my brother rebuilt the engine, forgot to hone the cylinder walls and install bigger rings. We had a few extra parts after the rebuild :eek: and without much compression, third was like a overdrive gear. Dropped a additive cap in the gas tank, when it got to less than a half tank, the cap would migrate to the suction line and it would start coughing something terrible.

First love broke my heart when I found out she was cheating on me. It was the ninth grade, her name was Mitzi and we dated the whole year, that summer, she ripped my heart out. It took me two years to get over her. When I did, it was with a vengeance :D. I learned a lot about the female antimony that year!!!

My dad was a plumber, he started taking us on jobs every since I could remember. Learned how to use a shovel when I was little. Where were the child social people and whistle blowers when I was a kid :mad:. Talk about child labor, but, everyone back then didn't see any problems with it. That's the way it was.

My oldest brother is to blame for my first drunk. He took me and a friend of mine out one night when we were 15. We drank a fifth of Jack Black and a fifth of sloe gin. The old man was waiting up when we all got home. Never tell an alcoholic father the reason you got drunk was to see how it feels. I got the crap beat out of me. Didn't get drunk again until I was a senior in high school. That same night, my brother had to bail his buddy out of jail for doing 120MPH in a 25mph. his car wound up in a field about fifty yards. Those OLDS 442's were some running cars and tough.

My first car was a 1972 Chevy Vega. It was such a piece of junk that my father spied a 1967 Camaro body abandoned in a field. We got it for about $50. We went to the junk yard and got a 327 engine, rally wheels, and transmission out of a wrecked Corvette and made me a car. It was the baddest small block in two cities, bar none.

My first real job was a yard maintenance business I started when I was around 9. I was hired away by a landscaping company when I was 14 for 1 dollar an hour (good money for labor back then).

First car or truck?

A new 1970 VW Karmann Ghia convertible bought in 1970. I was 20 years old in 1970.

Great car! The car belonged to my late husband and me. I took it over after we moved from Maryland to his home state in the Great Lakes region. Boonies. We needed two vehicles out there.

First love?

My late husband and we were married for over 30 years.

First job?

Working at my late 'Aunt' Catherine's law firm. She became a partner in the late 40's or early 50's when she moved from NY to MD. I worked at her firm filing paperwork in the 60's.

I babysat a bit too. I think that both of those jobs were fairly close together for me at that stage of my life too. Early 60's.

Last question - N/A for me. (I am old fashioned and a control freak about my health and body.)

Cate

Doc T,

My late husband had a few GM Chevrolet Malibu Super Sports that I remember well ('64 and '68) and an Impala (Year?) that I only saw pictures of before he went to Vietnam. LBJ era and on.

They were bought locally from his rural small town dealer back in the GL region not on the East Coast where I was born and raised.

He was older than me by 5 years.

The 64 and 68 cars went like a bat out of ___!

They were beautiful!

We special ordered and/or only bought stick shift cars and trucks 99% of the time too.

I used to rattle off cars and trucks for a long time when I was 'into it' because of HIM and sail boats and power boats because of US. Although, I always chose the truck and car that suited ME the best. Kind of like how I picked my own lawn equipment, my own small sail boat, firearms, etc. too!

Both of us had a LOT of miles under our belts due to our jobs since we lived rural, worked in the city and due to me going back to the east coast on a fairly regular basis when I was off of work. Later on, I started to fly more often due to the time element and emergency trips.

An old doctor friend of mine had a NEW MB 280 SL. Now, that was a SWEET car! Holy moly!

Another contractor friend of mine had some famous Jaguar.

Another boat man friend had one of those old, famous Thunderbird cars.

I think that the older cars and older trucks were far MORE interesting years ago.

Cate

First car was was given to me by my Grandfather a 62 Impala SS 2 door white, with red bucket seats electric windows and a Wards Signature aftermarket Air Conditioner. First love was girl down at my Grandmother's cousin place in VA she was 18 and I was 14, they lived down on the water in southern VA and I spent the whole month of August down there working as a dishwasher in a seafood restaurant. Life was never the same after that. :rolleyes: First drunk was when I was 15 at my older cousin's wedding she asked me to be an user and the reception was held at an Officers Club on a Military base. I was drinking Rum and Coke and then the party went back to my uncle's house where the drinking continued. By the end of the night I was crawling in the floor, the older guys just kept feeding me drinks. They were laughing there asses off from what I heard later, the worst past this was a on a Sunday and my parents made me get up the next day and go to School. I swore would never drink again.

This is a fun thread! Brings back a lot of old memories. First car was a 31 Model A Tudor Sedan. Shared it with my brother. We weren't really mechanically adept enough to own it, but we tried. First job was bussing tables at a Mr. Steak restaurant. First drunk, really a drink, that I remember was a beer offered to me after work one afternoon. I had a summer job working at a block plant, doing cleanup, running a forklift, pallatizing block. Was still over 100 degrees at 4:30 that afternoon. I was going out to my car (not the Model A) when one of the guys offered me a beer - Coors, if I remember correctly. I don't think I had ever tasted anything that good before - seemed that way on that hot summer afternoon. First love was a waitress at said Mr. Steak. Worked up the nerve to ask her out after about 6 months. She was 15, I was 16. Married 35 years now.

First car was when i was 19, an '85 Lincoln towncar (in '99) that was a real p.o.s. that sat for years, but was sold to me for a dollar by my boss... That heap made some great memories, but got scrapped in 2000, when I bought a '79 Coupe DeVille...

First love was my elementary school crush since kindergarten, but she "friend zoned" me, and by my teenage years, we had a brother/sister type friendship that we still share to this day. Her husband and my wife aren't the biggest fans of how close we are, but they just don't get it, and can't believe that there was never anything (romantic) between us, save for love notes I used to pass her in 4th-6th grade... Many meaningless relationships came and went, followed by my fair share of one night stands and wingman dates for friends, but My next "adult" love was a young single mother I started dating when I was 24, we "clicked"... Things got hot and heavy, but she got scared off by the realness we shared, too much and too soon, and just ended it one day out of the blue... We stayed acquaintances, I went off to school and then the army stationed in Hawaii, (and then married and ultimately divorced a few years later) and she wound up marrying a soldier and moving to Germany, and having another daughter, world's apart. We lost touch for a few years, I had 2 more serious relationships since my divorce, incl. the one I've been with now for 6 years, and have a 3 year old son with, and social media led her to look me up one day, where I found she's now divorced, still in Germany, planning on moving to TX... We had a nice conversation about tthe past we shared, what happened, and filled each other in on the time we had apart, but truth is what was was, what is is, and what could've been simply can't be anymore, as we're still world apart...

First (real) job was as a cashier at a Cumberland Farms mini mart in my neighborhood... Good times...

First drunk, exploring my grandma's basement with my older brother, about 7 or 8 years old, digging through boxes of this and that, when a box was moved to reveal an entrance into a "cavern"... It was my grandparents fully stocked bar, left as is and covered up into storage sometime after he passed and she stopped entertaining, (before I was born)... My brother and I tasted every bottle, and thought for sure the littleebottles must be for little people, right? We were so sick that evening, the adults weren't even mad, they assumed we had learned our lesson... They were sadly mistaken...

Some really great stories making for great memories. This may take a little time to build some momentum so I just wanted to say thanks for sharing.

First car was a 1971 Super Beetle with an upgraded 1650cc engine with a Holley/Webber 2 barrel and headers.

First love? My neighbor in Kentucky when I was 5. :D Funny part is that I ran into her again when I was 19. She had gone to high school in Georgia with my college roommate. She was attached at the time, so no joy/friend zone. Probably messed up by not hitting on her sister who was 2 years older and single, but there are rules, ya know. :D

First job was when I was 15 and worked the summer in the computer room at the direct marketing company in Connecticut that my dad ran. My duties were feeding mailing address punch cards into the big reader machine and cleaning tapes. You, if that doesn't date me, I don't know what does!!!! They had an entire room of ladies typing up those punch cards, another room full programmers, two or three computer operators and me and one other gopher just to manage a mailing list!!!

First time that I got drunk? Drinking rose at a friend of my parents house around Christmas time. I think that I was 13 because I don't recall my youngest brother being around yet. Didn't get really drunk, but I did eventually fall asleep in an armchair, so the adults were amused. I think that the first time that I got commode hugging drunk was when I was 17 at the officers club at Fort Knox.

View attachment 606337
First car. 1950 Caddy. Drove over state line into N.Y. where drinking age was 18 with 8 kids in it.

First love was like the War of the Roses. 45 years ago. Spoke to her last year. So grown up now. LOL

First job running milk bottles up to the porch boxes for 50 cents and a quart of chocolate milk a week. I was 10. I think they took advantage of me but I was the only one with money in my pocket. But to think about it my first job was working my way out of the womb. I'm a twin, the youngest of six. My mother had 6 kids in 7 years and refused to push. LOL

First drunk was at my oldest sisters wedding. My brothers friend was sneaking us Gin and Tonics at the house party after the reception. When we were sheet faced we hopped on the Harley Davidson Topper scooter and rode through the apple orchard laughing our asses off. I'm still laughing.

T, I thought I forgot about all this.
Thanks

Bill

Back