First Chris Reeve knife and a question

DRLyman

Gold Member
I have just received my first knife from CRK. After comparing models endlessly, I decided the Inkosi was the knife for me.
I have read posts about the lockup being too late on some of these knives on various forums. This is a knife I never thought I'd have, so I just wanted to be sure mine is ok.
There is no blade play at all. The blade is perfectly centered and very sharp right out of the box. The lockup looks ok to me and the lock bar will not move at all with pressure like I have read some do i just wanted to see opinions from you guys and what you think. I have provided a picture. Thank you for your time.
e12c1128a901ce669b617be45acce7a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not late lockup. Its not the steel that touches the blade but rather the ceramic ball so it touches the blade a little to the left of the lockbar as the ball touching surface is a bit to left just fyi and yes thats a perfectly normal lockup for inkosi

What a sexy lockup you have there... ;)

Welcome to the world of CRK. There is no wrong choice but the Chief is definitely the right choice.

Its not late lockup. Its not the steel that touches the blade but rather the ceramic ball so it touches the blade a little to the left of the lockbar as the ball touching surface is a bit to left just fyi and yes thats a perfectly normal lockup for inkosi

Thanks for the reply. I'm always open to learning new things about the knives and appreciate your explanation. That is good to know.

What a sexy lockup you have there... ;)

Welcome to the world of CRK. There is no wrong choice but the Chief is definitely the right choice.

Thanks [emoji1]. I agree with that statement. One thing is for sure, I'm never selling this knife. Just so happened it was manufactured on my wife's birthday. That makes it special to me instantly.

Thanks [emoji1]. I agree with that statement. One thing is for sure, I'm never selling this knife. Just so happened it was manufactured on my wife's birthday. That makes it special to me instantly.

There is a thread dedicated to people looking for certain birthdays. Sounds like you hit the jackpot. Hail to the Chief!

I have a Large Inkosi made on my birthdate scheduled to arrive tomorrow. :cool:

I have just received my first knife from CRK. After comparing models endlessly, I decided the Inkosi was the knife for me.
I have read posts about the lockup being too late on some of these knives on various forums. This is a knife I never thought I'd have, so I just wanted to be sure mine is ok.
There is no blade play at all. The blade is perfectly centered and very sharp right out of the box. The lockup looks ok to me and the lock bar will not move at all with pressure like I have read some do i just wanted to see opinions from you guys and what you think. I have provided a picture. Thank you for your time.
e12c1128a901ce669b617be45acce7a4.jpg

Looks mighty good to me :) does yours have the groove? I still to this day don't know why they put in a groove?? Anyone?

Looks mighty good to me :) does yours have the groove? I still to this day don't know why they put in a groove?? Anyone?

When it first launched they said the ball and groove were the next evolution in lockbar stability / longevity, but then a short time later they said there was no discernible benefit and took it out. Not sure why. Too much added time and/or room for error in the manufacturing process? QC issues? User complaints? Just guesses.

When it first launched they said the ball and groove were the next evolution in lockbar stability / longevity, but then a short time later they said there was no discernible benefit and took it out. Not sure why. Too much added time and/or room for error in the manufacturing process? QC issues? User complaints? Just guesses.

It was also said to address an item that (perhaps needlessly) concerned some users of the 25, in which said users could feel some "vertical" movement of the lock bar with the knife locked open. Unlike a conventional RIL framelock, the ball obviously only engages at a singular point. Therefore, with sufficient force, the lock bar can flex in an upward direction. The groove was said to prevent this "squishiness" (overstated to identify the concern).

I can understand the theory behind it, and can also imagine the potential for additional manufacturing error it allows. FWIW, the one I have inbound does have the "groove".

There is a thread dedicated to people looking for certain birthdays. Sounds like you hit the jackpot. Hail to the Chief!

I'll have to check that thread out. Never even thought of that until you mentioned it. Good thing that others are helping each other out to find their perfect knife.

Thank you. I will check on that when I get home from work tonight.

It was also said to address an item that (perhaps needlessly) concerned some users of the 25, in which said users could feel some "vertical" movement of the lock bar with the knife locked open. Unlike a conventional RIL framelock, the ball obviously only engages at a singular point. Therefore, with sufficient force, the lock bar can flex in an upward direction. The groove was said to prevent this "squishiness" (overstated to identify the concern).

I can understand the theory behind it, and can also imagine the potential for additional manufacturing error it allows. FWIW, the one I have inbound does have the "groove".

Thanks for explaining this. I am learning a lot about this knife from a post that I figured I would only get a couple looks good or looks bad responses to. This is a great forum.

Thanks for explaining this. I am learning a lot about this knife from a post that I figured I would only get a couple looks good or looks bad responses to. This is a great forum.

It is indeed. And glad you are here too. So, what birthday is yours? Does it have the groove?

Congratulations on your first CRK. The Inkosi is a great CRK, the lock up on yours is fine as others have stated. You can look on the blade tang and see where the ceramic ball actually stops and that is the true percentage of lock up the knife has. The lock bar can be misleading. On my 25, the lock bar looks like it's about 80% while the blade tang is about 60%
You can also tweek the tension on the pivot to make it more suitable to your liking.
Enjoy using your new Inkosi.

Back