First CRK

Boattale

Gold Member
I just bought my first Chris Reeve Knife, a large Inkosi with Insingo blade. When I got it I have to say I was rather disappointed. It was very tight to open and close. I expected some of that but this didn't get any better after opening and closing maybe two or three hundred times over the first two days. Messed around with pivot tension and really didn't get much if any improvement. Finally decided to give it a dose of Mobil 1 - enough to get the washers and blade noticeably wet. Wow, what an improvement! The knife was made in August of 2019 and I wonder if the grease had taken a set or something. At any rate, function in both open and close are so much better now. I'll leave it this way for a few weeks, then disassemble, clean and try the CRK grease as recommended in their video. I've messed with it enough now that the ceramic ball on the lock face has made a shiny spot on the blade. Everything is much smoother now. So I have to say now I'm happy and glad I was at least a little patient.

I really do like the size and feel of the knife and think the Insingo blade will become a favorite.

Welcome and congrats!

The Inkosi is, in my opinion, the smoothest opening knife that CRK makes. I don’t recall the break-in period on mine, but i usually disassemble them right away, clean and re-lube, adjusting the pivot a tiny bit on the tight side. Over time, it settles in nicely.
I can honestly say that sometimes after carrying a Sebenza for a few days, I’ll pick up an Inkosi and just open/close it a few times to appreciate the smooth motion of it. :) Enjoy your new CRK!

Back