First decent kitchen knives

rileybassman1

Gold Member
Been a knife nut for years and years... I decided that instead of constantly using my fiddlebacks or bark rivers in the kitchen in favor of my cheap Chicago cutlery set from my wedding, that I would finally invest in some decent kitchen knives.

Man, shoulda done this awhile ago... They are phenomenal!

miyabi kaizen 8" chefs knife, 7" rocking santoku, 4.5" pairing, and 3.5 pairing

VSHawYNh.jpg

Last edited:
A quality knife makes life so much easier. I'll never understand those who say "you don't use it as much as a professional, so you don't need a good knife". Well I'm still trying to cut with it and a bad knife is a PITA no matter how short the duration.
Yes, the consensus among Japanese Knife fans is that Miyabi is superior to Shun - or at least the Classics which have a reputation for iffy heat treatment.

My kitchen knives are all customs and it's taken awhile to get my choices dialed in. Now that I am there, I see no need for really ever getting another kitchen knife (fingers crossed). If you think about it, the knives most folks use the most are kitchen knives. So rather than saying, "You don't use it as much as a pro, so you don't need a good knife", I prefer to think of it as, "I use my kitchen knives the most, so they need to be good ones." IMHO, food prep can actually be fun when you use a very good knife.

My kitchen knives are all customs and it's taken awhile to get my choices dialed in. Now that I am there, I see no need for really ever getting another kitchen knife (fingers crossed). If you think about it, the knives most folks use the most are kitchen knives. So rather than saying, "You don't use it as much as a pro, so you don't need a good knife", I prefer to think of it as, "I use my kitchen knives the most, so they need to be good ones." IMHO, food prep can actually be fun when you use a very good knife.
Totally... To be honest, getting into kitchen knives and cutting boards etc has inspired me to try cooking more... It slows me down and I enjoy the process of preparing food that much more now.
For the average Joe, they will probably cut way more vegis and meat up then feather sticks etc... I agree they are prolly the most useful knife (other then an EDC) to your average person.

Russian knives from Zlatoust
What do you think?

210113-1-knife-chefs-cm.jpg
210113-2-knife-chefs-cm.jpg
Beautiful picture ! The knife is way too ornate. I like my blades mirror polished (way easier to check cleanliness and keep clean) and a simple subdued handle (just my taste...). The cutting board, on the other hand, is very nice. An end grain cutting board could be among my next buys.

Honestly.... I don't like it, at all. Makes me think of pajamas. But, it is special, indeed. I have little doubt there are people who will like it, and the previous one.

Back