• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

First experience with Pop's Knives and Supplies(UPDATE PG.3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So on Monday 02/20 I place an order for some belts. I chose Pop's because it has good prices and is a local company for me. I call on Monday night to verify receipt of my online order. I am told the order may or may not have been received. I am told by "Pop" that they just arrived back from the Arkansas Knife show and that his wife would get ot the orders the next day. I said that was fine and I would try beck another time. I get a call on Friday that my order will be shipped on Saturday. Saturday I get another call saying my order did not go out with the other UPS orders but if I want it shipped Saturday that it will go out Priority Mail. I said Priority was fine.

Here's the problem. Pop's is 67 mile from me. So I could have the order shipped for $12 or spend $20 in gas driving out there. So, I had it shipped. Monday no package. Tuesday no package. Wednesday no package, I call Pop. He says I should have got it Monday, Tuesday at the latest. Thursday no package, I call Pop. He says he'll run a "trace" (apparently he had delivery confirmation). He says call him on Friday if no delivery and they send another order. Thursday night I fuming over the lack of concern or care over my order. Maybe Pop's is a big business and my puny $275 order doesn't mean anything, but to me it does. So I send an email voicing my displeasure:

Date: March 1, 2012 1:10:09 PM EST
To: "popknifesupp@nu-z.net" <popknifesupp@nu-z.net>
Subject: Re: order shp'd
Kay,
Frankly I'm a little disappointed. I purposely picked you guys based on multiple recommendations and the fact that you are a local business. You shipped my order Saturday and as of today(Thursday) I am yet to receive it. While it may come tomorrow, I was rather displeased with the answer I received when I called. I was told that if it didn't come tomorrow, a replacement would be sent. While I feel that is the absolute minimum that should be done, I guess I expected more. As a new knifemaker these belts are crucial to my craft. I guess I just feel like I got the " oh well it's not our fault" from y'all. While shipping delays are not always the fault of the supplier, customer service should be job one. This has left a very bad taste in my mouth and I don't know if I will do business with y'all in the future.

Josh Jonas

Friday, no delivery. I call Pop. He says package went to Atlanta and shows should be delivered on 02/27. Pop then tells me he doesn't appreciate my "smart" email. He then says we don't want your business. I reiterate my point of wanting to do business with them but I'm dissapointed in the service. Pop says well how do you want it handled. I said I want to get my stuff from you. He says well we can do a refund. I said fine. Pop says, well we'll wait a few days and see if it shows up, maybe it went to California. If it shows up, send it back and we'll pay for shipping (as you should). He then says maybe we'll just cut you a check because refunding a credit card is hard. End of our conversation.

Refunding a credit card is hard? Then why take them and run a mostly internet based business? My email was "smart"? Like smart ass, no I don't think so. More like you could care less about the little guy like me.:mad:

Last edited:
Absolutely horribe? From your own explanation of events, I see nothing that can't be considered good customer service (are you used to company owners calling you with an update for what you assume is a rather small order for the company, and on a saturday no less?) coupled with the slow mail service.

No offense meant, but if a shipping problem qualifies as absolutely horrible in your world, I wouldn't particularly want your business either. And, as I understand it, Pop's is a rather small and family owned establishment with a great reputation with knifemakers all over the country.

Maybe it's hard to explain, but it's his demeanor. He was very non chalant(?) about it. I mean, why say you track the package for 3 days before you finally do it. Sorry I got the Saturday call wrong, I called them to check on it. Yes, 6 days to process and ship an in stock order is ridiculous to me. Case in point, I ordered some calipers and a flattening stone from Grizzly on Tuesday, it was delivered Thursday same week. Caliper got crushed by plate in shipping, I called and a replacement is on the way as we speak. That's customer service!!

Pop is a great guy. I've never had a problem with him or his service. I ordered from him the other day and he advised me that he was still running behind and trying to catch up due to being gone for Little Rock. One thing to remember is that a lot of USPS hubs have closed and in many cases mail has to travel a lot further than it used to. Once the package leaves his hands he has no control over it.

Agreed on the mail hub deal. I'm waiting for a package now for 2.5 weeks. It was shipped from a town one hour away.

While it may come tomorrow, I was rather displeased with the answer I received when I called. I was told that if it didn't come tomorrow, a replacement would be sent. While I feel that is the absolute minimum that should be done, I guess I expected more.

What more could you possibly expect?IMO thats great service.

A good warning for others I guess... but I wouldn't give his lack of concern another thought.

I order my cigars from Cigars International once a month and have for about three years. Send the lowest priority UPS, they get here in 3-4 days, and I have had three packages delivered UPS this year. The only time they missed, they sent out a duplicate order with my promise to let them know if I got the first order. (I did get both packages the same day and sent one back.) Didn't get that same service from another vendor, and I dropped them.

I ordered some camera equipment from Staples online for a consulting/inspection job I landed just after Christmas. It was sent low end UPS as well, and it was in hand in 4 days, at my office. Additionally, I ordered a small bag, camera screen protector, extra batteries, etc., from Amazon at the same time, FREE shipping, and it was in my hands in 6 days. Both orders had free online tracking, and >> I << could track it to my satisfaction, and was also comfortable the products had been shipped.

I order a few pocket knives a year from a great guy on this forum, and he sends them out when he processes. He uses USPS so the packages will fit in a mail box. Mike never takes more (Christmas presents ordered during the Christmas rush less about 90 days ago) than 5 days to get the knives in my hand.

The list goes on. I just ordered a new laptop and accessories from Tiger Direct, far from a personalized Mom and Pop shop, and they notified me of SAME DAY shipping ( admittedly - a fluke! ) with the tracking information and an anticipated delivery date from UPS of 5 business days.

Too many more examples to list of accurate and reliable shipping to count.

The point is, NO NEED TO GET UPSET about this. Reading your post, it seems like your feelings are hurt that he didn't respect you in the way you wanted. Your $275 is a lot of scratch to you.

I get that... (it is to me too!) but I wouldn't think twice about canceling my order, either. I don't have to pay for or deal with folks that don't respect my hard earned bucks. I not only buy "fun stuff" online, but I also buy tools, supplies and consumables for my contracting/remodeling company all the time.

Just order from another of the million vendors on the net these days. There are a ton of them out there, and you will find a good fit.

Robert

... Thursday no package, I call Pop. He says he'll run a "trace" (apparently he had delivery confirmation). He says call him on Friday if no delivery and they send another order. Thursday night I fuming over the lack of concern or care over my order. Maybe Pop's is a big business and my puny $275 order doesn't mean anything, but to me it does. ...

If he says to call him on Friday and he'll send a second order, why are you fuming on Thursday night?

So you say he sounds "nonchalant". Honestly, it isn't the end of the world for him. He's seen it all before and knows that it'll all become resolved. He'll do what he can to help, but he isn't going to kill himself for something that is out of his hands. The USPS has your package, not Pops.

You sound like someone that needs a lot of hand-holding. I can understand why he doesn't want to do business with you, I wouldn't either.

So on Monday 02/20 I place an order for some belts. I chose Pop's because it has good prices and is a local company for me. I call on Monday night to verify receipt of my online order. I am told the order may or may not have been received. I am told by "Pop" that they just arrived back from the Arkansas Knife show and that his wife would get ot the orders the next day. I said that was fine and I would try beck another time. I get a call on Friday that my order will be shipped on Saturday. Saturday I get another call saying my order did not go out with the other UPS orders but if I want it shipped Saturday that it will go out Priority Mail. I said Priority was fine.

Here's the problem. Pop's is 67 mile from me. So I could have the order shipped for $12 or spend $20 in gas driving out there. So, I had it shipped. Monday no package. Tuesday no package. Wednesday no package, I call Pop. He says I should have got it Monday, Tuesday at the latest. Thursday no package, I call Pop. He says he'll run a "trace" (apparently he had delivery confirmation). He says call him on Friday if no delivery and they send another order. Thursday night I fuming over the lack of concern or care over my order. Maybe Pop's is a big business and my puny $275 order doesn't mean anything, but to me it does. So I send an email voicing my displeasure:

Date: March 1, 2012 1:10:09 PM EST
To: "popknifesupp@nu-z.net" <popknifesupp@nu-z.net>
Subject: Re: order shp'd
Kay,
Frankly I'm a little disappointed. I purposely picked you guys based on multiple recommendations and the fact that you are a local business. You shipped my order Saturday and as of today(Thursday) I am yet to receive it. While it may come tomorrow, I was rather displeased with the answer I received when I called. I was told that if it didn't come tomorrow, a replacement would be sent. While I feel that is the absolute minimum that should be done, I guess I expected more. As a new knifemaker these belts are crucial to my craft. I guess I just feel like I got the " oh well it's not our fault" from y'all. While shipping delays are not always the fault of the supplier, customer service should be job one. This has left a very bad taste in my mouth and I don't know if I will do business with y'all in the future.

Josh Jonas

Friday, no delivery. I call Pop. He says package went to Atlanta and shows should be delivered on 02/27. Pop then tells me he doesn't appreciate my "smart" email. He then says we don't want your business. I reiterate my point of wanting to do business with them but I'm dissapointed in the service. Pop says well how do you want it handled. I said I want to get my stuff from you. He says well we can do a refund. I said fine. Pop says, well we'll wait a few days and see if it shows up, maybe it went to California. If it shows up, send it back and we'll pay for shipping (as you should). He then says maybe we'll just cut you a check because refunding a credit card is hard. End of our conversation.

Refunding a credit card is hard? Then why take them and run a mostly internet based business? My email was "smart"? Like smart ass, no I don't think so. More like you could care less about the little guy like me.:mad:

You are expecting Neiman Marcus Service (and ass kissing) at Walmart prices.

You are a "little" person in more ways than one and your whinny little rant here proves it.

I read this over a couple times, and it sounds like Pop did everything that could have been expected of him to try to get you your order, even if his tone sounded a little cool. I really don't see what more you could ask of him.

Sounds Like You just burned a bridge for your self.

My Suggestion is carry a month worth of belts on your shelf and order a month a head of time.

POP's is the person I by my belts from.

A good warning for others I guess... but I wouldn't give his lack of concern another thought.
The point is, NO NEED TO GET UPSET about this. Reading your post, it seems like your feelings are hurt that he didn't respect you in the way you wanted. Your $275 is a lot of scratch to you.

I get that... (it is to me too!) but I wouldn't think twice about canceling my order, either. I don't have to pay for or deal with folks that don't respect my hard earned bucks. I not only buy "fun stuff" online, but I also buy tools, supplies and consumables for my contracting/remodeling company all the time.

Just order from another of the million vendors on the net these days. There are a ton of them out there, and you will find a good fit.

Robert

I feel this is good advise and thank you.

You are expecting Neiman Marcus Service (and ass kissing) at Walmart prices.

You are a "little" person in more ways than one and your whinny little rant here proves it.

No sir, I made statements based on my personal experience, unlike you who makes person attacks based on a disagreement of opinions. Your just a useless prick.

If he says to call him on Friday and he'll send a second order, why are you fuming on Thursday night?

So you say he sounds "nonchalant". Honestly, it isn't the end of the world for him. He's seen it all before and knows that it'll all become resolved. He'll do what he can to help, but he isn't going to kill himself for something that is out of his hands. The USPS has your package, not Pops.

You sound like someone that needs a lot of hand-holding. I can understand why he doesn't want to do business with you, I wouldn't either.

Why was I fuming, probably because when I got home from work I get to look at my new grinder and steel and I still have no belts to work with. I don't need hand holding, I need products that are paid for to be delivered in a timely manner. If the package would have been sent UPS like I originally paid for, this probably wouldn't have happened. I guess I've become spoiled with companies that bend over backwards with awesome customer service.

While I don't know Pop's fromMom's having never dealt with him, it seems he did try to accommodate you in a fair and reasonable manner. With shipping it's hit or

miss. Sometimes when I place an order through Amazon or Zappo's the stuff seems to be at my door before I hang up the phone. Other times with smaller vendors

you might have to wait. It's out of his hands and in the hands of the government.Good luck and chillax.

I wouldn't worry about shipping on other belts

you won't be needing many since no one will be buying knives from you

Drive to Pop's and buy your next belts, if it's so close. You've spent more time "fuming" about it than it's worth.

I wouldn't worry about shipping on other belts

you won't be needing many since no one will be buying knives from you

What a dick.

I think you being upset is warranted, though I'm not sure I would create a thread just yet if I were you. I hate when companies don't ship in a timely manner. I get a lot of my G10 from USAknifemaker.com and while their customer service is phenomenal, they're really slow about getting ordered items shipped. And about the owner being nonchalant about getting your order out, that's frustrating as well. Did he ever give you the tracking number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back