First experience with Pop's Knives and Supplies(UPDATE PG.3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he never gave me a tracking number. I didn't even know he sent it delivery confirmation until I called him the second time. I too have ordered from USA Knifemaker and found shipping slow, BUT communication was excellent between us.

As far as I know, Pops has a day job and works as best he can. Clearly the OP has never done a show, so he isn't aware of the mess that the first two days home are. We've done business with him several times and have always been satisfied.

To the OP: dealing with knife making suppliers is not like Amazon or other very large business where everything is computer controlled and computer generated. We are mostly small businesses, don't spend all day on the computer, have other things to do, and try to make it all work. Once the item leaves our hands with a shipper, whether UPS or USPS, it's out of our hands. Most recently it took 7 days, going first class mail,m to receive something from a city 37 miles away. I checked the post mark, not the shipping date they gave me on the phone. It's taken 2 weeks to get an item 175 miles. I'm awaiting belts from TruGrit that were shipped Priority Mail on Tuesday. I can drive there in 14 hours.

You need to learn some patience. I'm surprised you didn't order belts with your new grinder that is now sitting idle. Sit back, take a deep breath, relax, and go forward. Self generated stress can kill you.

Gene

Jarrett Fleming

Pops is actually a fairly small business. I go there about once every 3 months and the only people that are there are him and his wife. They have always been very nice and treat me well. His shop is only about a 40 mile drive for me. I have never had anything shipped, but I assume that stuff like this does not happen often. Give Pop another chance or drive down there and meet him one day, I think that your opinion will change. You should also consider coming to a Georgia guild meeting. There are a lot of great guys that come to the meetings that are more than happy to share their knowledge with you. Pop comes to a lot of the meeting with a van full of knife supplies for sale as well. If you want me to I will let you know when the next meeting is.

I've dealt with Pop for 3 years with nothing but incredible service, finally met him at The PKA show in Denver and he's a great guy and his wife is a wonderful person. Things happen , especially with shipping. There's enough frustration making knives, if you're letting Pop upset you you'll be in for a long haul. You really should go meet him and I think your opinion would change.

Gene, you are right in that patience is not my strong suit. Emerson, I was planning to attend the last guild meeting but due to the distance, I opted to go and spend a day a Dark Custom Knives with Robert Dark. I assure you that I'm not the little, petty needing my hand held guy the folks here think I am. Just as I'm sure Pops is a nice guy and this is the 1% error that every business has. I didn't start thus thread to bash Pops or Kay. Just voicing my experience with this company. Everyone who does business with a company has an opinion, good or bad. I thought that is what the feedback forum was about, instead people choose to make person assumptions about me. That's fine, I'm a big boy, I put my opinion out there and you are all entitled to your opinions, good or bad. I will continue in my quest to make knives and whether or not someone on here buys them or not is irrelevant.

Jarrett Fleming

I didn't make it to the last meeting either because it was a 5 hour drive, but I wasn't as fortunate as you spending a day with Robert Dark. You are right everyone does have an opinion, but all I am saying is that if you meet Pop I think your opinion will change. I also never assumed anything about your skill level of making knives but no matter what your skill level is the guild meetings are still fun to attend (at least for me). And if anyone does not want to buy a knife from you based on your opinion of Pop's knives that is just ridiculous. This could of happened to anyone, you were just letting us know your experience with Pop, and you were not rude about it in any way. Anyways I hope to see you at the next meeting.

What a wonderful day,,everyones getting along ..

When [ I ] sell an item ..I took it on to get that persons goods out ,its now belongs to them.. That day or next mailing day..And I see nothing wrong with doing so..Larger cos. take a day longer..Then its in the post office hands to get it there..
I hate waiting for 5 days or a week to get a confirmation number that it was just mailed ..I just will not buy from there again.. Stuff happens ..
And like its been said stock up for when an item as such gets low..
And [ once ]these other offices close ..It will be slower,,,, days worse..
Have a good day....

OldeWolf

BANNED
This thread is making me want to check out TooQuiet's knives if he's selling them on here (And I also noticed the irony between his post and his name :p)

And I'm also going to check out this Pop everyone has been talking about. :thumbup:

If I were you I would just move on to someone who appreciates my business.

I certainly wouldn't drive out to meet him like some suggested...

honestly a supply company should be able to continue business while they represent themselves at a show, etc. Wouldn't waste my time.

Monger,

Us little mom and pop outfits take our "stuff" to the shows. There is no one at home to take care of orders. Usually, when we get an order while at a show, I'll send an email explaining that we are at a show and will fill the order when we return. I make knives and blades. My wife, Sally, does mosaic pins. We also have stabilized wood. Would you have us leave the show and try to find a place to ship over the weekend?

We'll pull the item, if we have it, so we can ship it on our return. Even then it's usually Tuesday after a show before we are all unpacked and ready to ship something. If we don't have it, I'll tell the customer by email that we are out of stock and will have it by whenever. That takes care of things 99% of the time.

How would you do it?

Gene

jll346

Knife maker
Pops is a small TOP NOTCH business. I have had nothing but great service from him and have placed MANY orders with him. The USPS has gotten worse and worse by the day. I wouldn't want your business either acting like that!

I fully support and highly recommend Pops Supply.He's personally helped me out with hard to find parts for my grinder and always given good service at the best prices.This is the first neg. ive seen here ever.You may regret burning this bridge.He's such a nice guy,he would likely accept you apology.

Danbo

Platinum Member
Well, I just added another to my ever growing ignore list. Oh, and BTW, they don't get any better than Pops.

Well, I just added another to my ever growing ignore list. Oh, and BTW, they don't get any better than Pops.

So let me get this straight, if anyone (in this case me) voices a bad experience about someone you like regardless of it's merit, you'll "ignore" them? Wow that's so nice!

I have dealt with Pop and his wife for years and have met him at many knife shows and never had any problem. Pop is a great person and will bend over backwards to help you. I am finding that shipping by UPS or USPS is taking longer to get an item it's destination. If haven't talked to Pop about this situation, but I figure his story would be a little different.

i just got an order in from pops that was placed 3 days ago. +1 more for pops :thumbup:

Darrin Sanders

Knifemaker
I have dealt with Pop and his wife for years and have met him at many knife shows and never had any problem. Pop is a great person and will bend over backwards to help you. I am finding that shipping by UPS or USPS is taking longer to get an item it's destination. If haven't talked to Pop about this situation, but I figure his story would be a little different.

You're exactly right Larry. I talked to Mrs Kay and as usual there are two sides to this story.

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I have dealt iwth Pop's many times and their service has been first rate. USPS shipping and tracking, I can't say the same for. I hope you find your package (I didn't notice if you had).

Status
Not open for further replies.