• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

First experience with Pop's Knives and Supplies(UPDATE PG.3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me get this straight, if anyone (in this case me) voices a bad experience about someone you like regardless of it's merit, you'll "ignore" them? Wow that's so nice!

No, he's putting you on ignore because you lambasted a vendor when the shipper is the problem.Pop's offered to send the order again if you hadn't received it. He's tracking the order and tells you all the info he has. Yeah, he could have provided you with a tracking number, but didn't. But none of that is good enough for you. It's been shipped, when he said he would.

Since you clearly feel that you are the aggrieved party in that a vendor took your money and shipped your order as he said he would, how would you personally have handled this if you were the vendor? You take and ship an order per your word on it, then it fails to arrive. Then you receive a letter of disappointment that the shipper has not delivered yet. Then the customer starts a thread about what a poor businessman you are because a shipper hasn't delivered yet.

How would you handle that, reading about what a bad business you have because a shipper hasn't delivered? How do you think others will respond to the customer bad mouthing your business rep due to something beyond your control?

I did some work for a guy on a chef's knife project. I finished and shipped it. It took USPS 2 weeks to deliver it 180 miles away. In the meantime, he figures it's lost in space somewhere ot that I'm trying to cheat him, and has me refund his card. I start an insurance claim and, lo and behold, it gets delivered. It took over a week to get him to pay me for the item. He was mad because I was such a poor businessman that the shipper lost the package. I can't apologize for someone else's lack of performance, only my own. I did as I said I would. He paid me when I threatened to make the drive and see him personally.

So, here you are, defending yourself and your whining, because you weren't patient enough to let shipping work itself out. Did Pops ship when he committed to? If so, you have no gripe with him. Yet gripe you do.

I won't put you on ignore. It's more entertaining to watch you self destruct and destroy the reputation you hoped to build. And as I have said for quite some time, not only is the customer not always right, some just aren't worth having.

Gene

Too Quiet...
Pops did you right.
Your "horrible" experience is the direct result of poor planning on your part.

Packages get misrouted sometimes...no matter who the carrier is. We learn to
make allowances for that possibility by monitoring inventories and reordering
earlier...you didn't.

Your best course,at this point, would be to appologize to Pops for the unjustified rant,
and get back to running your shop, and learning to make knives.

How would you handle that, reading about what a bad business you have because a shipper hasn't delivered? How do you think others will respond to the customer bad mouthing your business rep due to something beyond your control?

Gene

I never said Pop ran a bad business, nor did I start a thread because the package came late. I would not tell someone that I would replace an order and in the same breath say I'll refund you becasue I don't want your business. People say I'm whinning because I had a bad experience with someone that is beloved by the knifemaker community. I get that. But do you think everyone who has met the President have had a good experience? No, someone has had a bad one.

A shipping error would never have led to this thread being started. It was started due to the "oh well" attitude received when asked about my order. Case in point, I'm currently awaiting a MAP Arm from Nick Wheeler that I have paid for. He said it would ship on Feb. 26th. As of this post it has not shipped. Am I mad or lambasting him? No, I'm not. He contacted me and explained what happened and all is good. I've also ordered a "custom" file guide from an apprentice of Bruce Bump. Paid for them up front and began the wait(I had to send a USPS MO). Some problems came up with the apprentice(personal issues he is going through) and Bruce emailed me and said rest assured everything would be taken care of even if he had to make the file guides himself. Here we are a few weeks later and Bruce emailed and said they would go out today. Bruce kept me informed on what was going on and we had no isssues at all. This was great service defined.

Last edited:
As rule of thumb I always try and give people the benefit of the doubt. It's taken a lot of practice. Sometimes it's easy to forget that we're all just human and you never quite know what problems the person on the other side may be dealing with that that moment.

You're good, bro. Pick up the phone and reach out to Pop. I'm sure you'll both end up putting it all behind you and you'll have just one more person in your corner as you start this journey.

So I talked to Pops at around 5:20 today. After he got in touch with someone at the Post Office the package was found. Turns out it went to New Jersey(?). The Post Office should be returning it to Pops tomorrow or the next day. I explained to him that I did not blame him for the shipping issue. He told me he heard I was bashing him on the net. I told him that was not the case, told him that I posted the email I sent stating that I had a bad experience and apoligized if he got that impression. I told him he had a lot of loyal customers come to his defense with good experiences. He said that he would send me a copy of the tracking information along with my refund. I told him the tracking information wasn't necessary as I never thought he lied to me. In the end, I had maybe the only bad experience anyone will ever have with Pops and that's ok. Patience is not my fortay and I will learn some.

A thank you to those that understood my side as well as those that didn't. Both are valuable to the overall learning experience for me.

I'm glad you reached out to him. It will go a long way in the end. Not a lot of people would be big enough to call him up after all this. I think that says something.

Good on you.

Benefit of the doubt. Keep practicing it.

So I talked to Pops at around 5:20 today.

SNIP

A thank you to those that understood my side as well as those that didn't. Both are valuable to the overall learning experience for me.

Well.... I would call it about even up. You have gotten a pretty good ass whippin' here too by his fans. And you know that you didn't change one person's mind, and didn't accomplish anything here on this forum. So no harm was done to Pop's. but you got your nose bloodied with the continuous insults.

All part of the learning curve. I didn't think of your posting as a bash so much as a rant, as you didn't call him out as a &%#$#^%, and a *&^@*, like so many do in the GBU. Obviously, others took it quite a bit more to heart.

A cheap lesson in forum etiquette about saying something that isn't nice about the folks that are popular around here, and an overall very good lesson about keeping your hand over your mouth a bit longer when you are pissed off and ready to rant.

I will say this for you, I commend you for not responding like-in-kind to the insults, accusations and the sneering sarcasms that were thrown your way.

I'm glad you reached out to him. It will go a long way in the end. Not a lot of people would be big enough to call him up after all this. I think that says something.

Good on you.

Benefit of the doubt. Keep practicing it.

I think it takes some stones to come back here and let folks know what is going on. Good for you. But I hope you don't have to read another 5 pages of "Aha!! I told you so!!".

Stay with it! The curve is lonnnnnnng....

Robert

Well put Midnight flyer.
I my self am on 11 days waiting on a knife..Not happy ..And tracking number is not,,and asked for another ,nothing sent. Real close to Doing the same as TooQuiet..Each person reacts Diff. After seeing how he was bashed around ..I will wait ..Pops does have a lot of friends and stuff happens in the shop and after mailed.. Glad it all worked out to this..
Pop sounds great like alot on here are.. I will say for TooQuiet he stuck to the problem as far as his posts go, kept his focus ..

I will say for TooQuiet he stuck to the problem as far as his posts go, kept his focus ..

Except for this; which is the main reason I put him on ignore. "No sir, I made statements based on my personal experience.... Your just a useless prick."

You're correct, I did type that statement after reading this post, "You are a "little" person in more ways than one and your whinny little rant here proves it." No it's not justification for me stooping to his level, just my excuse.

If I were the original poster and had worked out the problem with Pop's, I would probably close this thread. I think it may have run its course and perhaps additional posts, good or bad, only add fuel to a fire that is fast encircling us all.

I'm not a Moderator (probably a good thing), but I did drive by a Holiday Inn a few days ago.:)

These are just a few words from an old man who has seen a lot of things go wrong in a short period of time.

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back