First Folder - WIP

BladeMan

Lhotak Knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi,

started working on my first folder (Backlock) some two weeks ago, which is my fifth knife in total (see first 4 here). Did not intent on making a WIP, just made a couple occasional pics. for my personal documentation and thought it may interest somebody. Try not to forget making more pics in the weeks to come. :)

As the others, this one will be all titanium once finished, just a little Micarta added for scales.
Blade is BT23 and the liners, hammer, spring and spacer is Gr. 38 Ti.

Here are all parts rough cut with a bandsaw. Have no power tools, everything is and will be done with files and sandpaper only, except for the holes of course.

firstfolder_wip_01.jpg

Next step was to flat grind everything before drilling, just one pic of the rough cut blade blank on a granite surface plate.

firstfolder_wip_02.jpg

Once parts were flat, i drilled most of the holes (no pic) and started with the slot on the blade.
Started with the lock first because i did not know how it will work out and did not want to waste more time then necessary on profiling and stuff like that.

firstfolder_wip_03.jpg

After the blade i started working on the hammer, it worked out fine and we have a lock up.
Also did the rough profiling of the blade.

firstfolder_wip_04.jpg

After a few more hours i got the spacer roughly done and the leaf spring made.

firstfolder_wip_05.jpg

This is how it looks closed, still a lot of tuning necessary.

firstfolder_wip_06.jpg

Speaking of tuning, i had to make a new hammer and was not happy with the spring, so i made new ones. Spring is not cut to length yet and hammer needs a little more work too, but overall it is starting to look like a knife.

firstfolder_wip_07.jpg

That's it for now. Next step is tuning the hammer and spring and start cleaning up the profile and tune the blade seating in in opened and closed position.
Then sand all parts down to final thickness and start grinding the blade bevels.

Blade with run on phosp. bronze washer, with double thumb studs, all pivot barrels will be replaced with Titanium ones, lock faces and all contact points will be additionally carbidized although not necessary i guess. but better safe then sorry. :D

HAHA holy crap man, you are ballsy. That's great stuff.

Very nice ;):thumbsup:. Makes me want to give one a go once I get a little/lot more confidence. It's great that you're doing it with basic hand tools also, I can relate to that and can't wait to see some more pics of the progress BladeMan.

Some progress to show.

Blade bevels filed in, final finish will be made later.

Other then the blade, i spent most of the time on the internal "mechanics", which are done.
The pivot barrels of the hammer (rocker bar) and stop pin are ground to exact length so they work as kind of an additional spacer. You can tighten them up and will always have the right amount of space that everything works smoothly.

firstfolder_wip_08.jpg

Now i will focus on making it nice, cleaning the profile, make the hammer flush in open and closed postion, and finally make the handle scales.

firstfolder_wip_09.jpg

Blade is nicely centered. :)

firstfolder_wip_10.jpg

Already started to clean up the profile on the back with the spacer, you hardly see that it's 3 pieces anymore.

firstfolder_wip_11.jpg

Nice work, getting close!

That's an amazing job considering it is literally 'handmade'.... :)

I hacksawed the latch end off of a BM42 Ti Bali many years ago and it took an inordinate amount of time and if the BT23 is anything like that I cannot even imagine your time and patience.

Yes, amazing. How have you handled blade heat treat. Yourself? Curious if any equipment. How it performs has a lot to do with the heat treat. looks so far like a lifetime kind of knife. Great work!

Yes, amazing. How have you handled blade heat treat. Yourself? Curious if any equipment. How it performs has a lot to do with the heat treat. looks so far like a lifetime kind of knife. Great work!

Hi, Thanks.
Knife is completed, see here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/all-titanium-backlock.1722360/

As for HT, this was done by Mecha.
But i will do the HT myself in the future when i have my shop.
For this i got this oven: http://devil-forge.com/dfs-series/32-dfsw2.html

Back