first handmade/first koyote

My first handmade knife, a Koyote Ranch(?) came in today on purchase from a forum member (thanks, Northridge88), and I love it. Pics to follow later. Nice, thin blade with what appears to be "scandivex"" edge, beautiful and perfectly-crafted wood grips, and a great leather sheath. She needs sharpening, and I guess I would do that by sandpaper-mousepad stropping? I am in the process of switching my taste in fixed blades, and I feel I chose wisely for my first one. Looks and feels like it will be an awesome tool basic outdoor woodwork, cleaning game and fish, food prep, and just whatever comes up for a good cutting/slicing tool.cwd

Attachments

• DSC02383.jpg
    DSC02383.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hi cwdotson,

I have a small necker from Koyote with his scandivex grind, and I stupidly managed to blunt the edge after dropping it, beyond what a strop would fix really. He suggested 400 grit sandpaper on leather backing or a mousepad. Then running through the black/green/pink strop compounds. If you don't have a strop, I really suggest you pick one up from stropman (google it). It makes up keep on the scandivex super easy!

Here's what he wrote specifically:
"IF you have a strip of 600 or even 400 grit wet dry you can put on top
of the strop leather, you can do a couple passes with that and then
the black rouge. The reason I tend to do that- 400 grit myself- is to
keep a bit of tooth on the edge. Watch the angles closely and go light
when doing that part."

And for general strop use:
"For the strop bat, you strop just like you are doing a scandi blade on a
stone- pretty much the whole grind, yah. You can add a very slight amount
of more pressure on the edge if you want. I usually end up clamping the
strop bat in a vise (with leather padding, and not very tight) and using
the fingers of my off hand on the exposed grind (the one facing up) to
hold my pressure and angle nice and light. Don't turn the spine up at the
end of the stroke!"

Hope that helps.
Collin

I need to wait and strop this, to bring out the sharp in the excellent edge, cause she's a bit dullish right now. But, Saturday night, did well regardless on fruit and cheese-my wife and I have this with crackers and wine to watch Masterpiece Theater. Then, made some shavings from soem seasoned wood for starting a fire out back. Even though the knife is not currently razor sharp, she ate into the wood and quickly and easliy made a big pile of tinder. I've been using sharpened crowbars for so long, with edge dynamics not conducive to precision cutting, this brief work was like a breath of fresh air.

Still trying to get pics loaded. I do not understand why this model is not a regular offering. Simply the purest essence of knife design, and I have owned a truckload, I have ever held/

Hows about a pic of this pure essence of knife please? ;)

Back