First HI just arrived

Just bought a Farm Knife after 10 years of lurking around this forum and received it yesterday.

I have always wanted HI knives but my lifestyle didn't really fit with the function in the past but 3 years ago I began transitioning to 130 acres of forest / farmland.

I have been making trails into the woods to broaden the scope of my stewardship of the land and ease the access into difficult areas.

I took the farm knife out yesterday along with my camp axe and felling axe to test it out. I didn't sharpen it at all and was expecting it to have a v edge based on everything I had read previously but it seemed convex to me (which is what I prefer).

My first impression was how heavy it seemed and how thick it was. It was beautiful and impressive. The balance is definitely strange since I have been using my camp axe a lot for trail clearing but toward the end of the day it really started to feel right.

I couldn't put it down and even cut down a 4 inch tree really quickly with it. What a joy to not have to switch tools so often! It makes extremely short work taking limbs off trees on the path and it feels much safer than my camp axe. The striking point is just so much larger it's hard to "miss" and my body position doesn't matter as much.

I can't wait to take it out again and will probably be making some videos on my journey that will include the use of it if anyone wants to see it in action.

I'm already looking for a lighter weight companion: maybe the mmb or I saw a 14 ounce ak bowie that looked really nice. Maybe a 15 inch villager cak?

Just wanted to drop in and say how grateful I am to finally have gotten my hands on one of these amazing tools.

130 acres of forest is a dream come true. How very nice.
First one is just a start, now it begins. Everybody needs an MMB on their belt and I think every member here has at least one Villager Utility Knife which isn't quite a CAK but real handy. Most have several.

Enjoy your HI journey and be safe out there in the woods.

Congrats and welcome! The CAKs are usually a bit on the heavier side. For a light weight companion I would go with something closer to 20oz or less. But that’s just me.

I like what you said about how it seemed heavy at first but just right at the end of the day. Somehow the balance can really help a knife carry its weight in an efficient way. 2 different knives of the exact same weight can feel like they are totally different weights. Once a knife teaches you how it wants to be wielded, it carries some of its own weight for you, as you just guide it along. Sounds a bit silly but it is true, at least in my experience.

Last edited:
I don't think any of the HI blades have a V-edge. They are all convex.

As for a second HI knife. You don't mention the length and weight of your Farm Knife, but if you want something lighter (but still strong), a Sirupati or Chitlangi might be a good choice. It's a slimmer blade, often available in 15"-18" lengths and relatively light weight. If you want a heavy chopper type blade, the 15" models of AK, CAK, M43 or WWII are good choices. The shorter blade weighs less and puts the center of gravity closer to your hand so it feels even lighter.

Here's a picture of one of my favorites, a 15.5" 16 oz Chitlangi made by Lokendra Kami:

Chitlangi15.5in-Villager-Lokendra16oz-for-Dave-01cr.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think any of the HI blades have a V-edge. They are all convex.

As for a second HI knife. You don't mention the length and weight of your Farm Knife, but if you want something lighter (but still strong), a Sirupati or Chitlangi might be a good choice. It's a sllimmer blade, often available in 15"-18" lengths and relatively light weight. If you want a heavy chopper type blade, the 15" models of AK, CAK, M43 or WWII are good choices. The shorter blade weighs less and puts the center of gravity closer to your hand so it feels even lighter.

Here's a picture of one of my favorites, a 15.5" 16 oz Chitlangi made by Lokendra Kami:

View attachment 1660986
Thank you for the reply. Yes I was confused because some of the really old posts on bushcraft forums etc claimed the farm knife had a v.

The one I got is 17ish and 33oz, it has been working amazingly as an axe replacement clearing my trail system. I am looking for a smaller blade length to do more traditional knife work and I agree with Eric that something under 20oz would be ideal so I will keep my eyes open.

That is a beautiful blade - inspiring me to do more research into what people have to say about the different types of knives.

Congrats and welcome! The CAKs are usually a bit on the heavier side. For a light weight companion I would go with something closer to 20oz or less. But that’s just me.

I like what you said about how it seemed heavy at first but just right at the end of the day. Somehow the balance can really help a knife carry its weight in an efficient way. 2 different knives of the exact same weight can feel like they are totally different weights. Once a knife teaches you how it wants to be wielded, it carries some of its own weight for you, as you just guide it along. Sounds a bit silly but it is true, at least in my experience.
Today was my second full day carrying and It felt much better and more natural - lots of continuity from yesterday. I'm guessing it is because I did not do any axe swinging prior to the trail work. It has been making quick work of grape vines and invasive olive trees. It definitely needs to be swung and make contact with something to make sense of its weight. Very pleased overall and excited to continue looking for the right companion.

130 acres of forest is a dream come true. How very nice.
First one is just a start, now it begins. Everybody needs an MMB on their belt and I think every member here has at least one Villager Utility Knife which isn't quite a CAK but real handy. Most have several.

Enjoy your HI journey and be safe out there in the woods.
Yes it is quite the dream come true, hopefully I can make the forest proud with our restoration projects!

Yeah, I will probably try and get the mmb and gift a knife to my father after some more hunting.

Thanks for the input!

Back