First High-End Knife

Knifeaddict556

Gold Member
Looking to buy my first high end knife. Looking at a few like the sebenza 21, koenig arius, gareth bull shamwari, some shirogoroves, brown servo, and some southard models. Just bit sure about what I want, looking for some other options and opinions on these knives as well. Love to hear your thoughts.

All very different but good choices. Sebenzas are a bit different than the others. Smooth but not as easy to flip open as the others. Depends on what you like in a knife. What have you liked in less expensive models? And you have to think about what is available to buy. A Bull Shamwari is hard to come by these days.

What is your price range?
Is this for a user, collector piece, or something in between?
If it’s a user, what will it be used for?
What size knife do you prefer?
What knives do you have now that you like and what do you like about them?

Nothing wrong with any of them listed as they are all great knives. I would have to put my vote toward a Koenig Arius. One of the most amazing knives I have ever put my hands on. I have been carrying and using my Arius Standard for over a month now and have been blown away by every aspect of this knife!

Nothing wrong with any of them listed as they are all great knives. I would have to put my vote toward a Koenig Arius. One of the most amazing knives I have ever put my hands on. I have been carrying and using my Arius Standard for over a month now and have been blown away by every aspect of this knife!
Whitty,

What makes the Arius so good vs. a less expensive Sebenza and other listed by the OP in your opinion? $500-1000 for a titanium/XHP folder seems spendy. I have never seen one in the flesh so have zero experience with Koenig knives though.

Thanks!

Judging by the names you named you will definitely be getting a great knife regardless of which one you decide on. All are great knives!

Unfortunately the only Shiro I would buy would be a Hati, and most likely only in Elmax.
The washers and tough stainless that has near M390 edge retention would be a users dream.

Whitty,

What makes the Arius so good vs. a less expensive Sebenza and other listed by the OP in your opinion? $500-1000 for a titanium/XHP folder seems spendy. I have never seen one in the flesh so have zero experience with Koenig knives though.

Thanks!
I also wonder what the appeal is on this oddly shaped knife. Seems to be a trend lately with the elongated hole opening.

I also wonder what the appeal is on this oddly shaped knife. Seems to be a trend lately with the elongated hole opening.

The long hole opening makes a great "flicker" with your middle finger. I say stop over thinking it and pick what really gets your motor running.

The long hole opening makes a great "flicker" with your middle finger. I say stop over thinking it and pick what really gets your motor running.
I'm just trying to understand the appeal, nothing wrong with that. It's an atypical design that seems to be quite popular.

I would start with a Sebenza of some flavor. I've had a Sebenza 25 for years, and love it.

The only high end knife that's of any interest to me at the moment is a Holt Specter. I think books are expected to open again sometime after blade show.

You can't go wrong with a Sebenza 21 though.

If you want something with an easier to swallow price tag that's every bit as nice as anything listed above take a look at a ZT 0850. Crazy build quality.

I'm just trying to understand the appeal, nothing wrong with that. It's an atypical design that seems to be quite popular.
I think it's mostly aesthetic. The grind itself is of a pretty classic hollow ground drop point. Like you, I don't seem to be their target demographic. I'm sure it's a great knife, but they don't do anything for me.

Aside from the storm trooper variant of course. I'm a sucker for a white/black motif.

I handled 2 Shiros at a local BM. Was not impressed at all. The ZT's he had were awesome though ;)

Looking to buy my first high end knife. Looking at a few like the sebenza 21, koenig arius, gareth bull shamwari, some shirogoroves, brown servo, and some southard models. Just bit sure about what I want, looking for some other options and opinions on these knives as well. Love to hear your thoughts.

I have a gareth bull and some chris reeves. Let me give a little word on them.

First of all chris reeves are among the best built knives I have ever seen. There are few customs I have seen that are built as well as chris reeves. His knives are dialed in to a level of perfection I have rarely seen in even very expensive customs.

The gareth bull is a great knife and I love it. I love it even more than my chris reeves but that is because of the design. The quality is excellent but the chris reeves are even better built. The issue with the bulls are the maker. While he is very talented his communication skills are terrible. He rarely answers instagram which is basically the only way of getting ahold of him. Still I love the knife and it is one of my fav. My model is one of his older shamwaris. There are changes to the new one like a new clip and a stop pin that fits into two round cutouts on the inside of the scales rather than screws through like mine.

1ZYKNgy.jpg

pBWzYCJ.jpg

Back