First impressions: Blackhawk Warriorwear Desert Ops boots

A little less than a month ago, I purchased a pair of Blackhawk Warriorwear Desert Ops boots (manufacturer's info). I've only worn them for approximately 10-15 miles of wear, but as summer comes to Colorado, I look forward to giving them a good workout outdoors.

I've owned many military and hiking boots over the years, and at present I own and wear the Altama mil-spec all-leather boot, the Wellco infantry combat boot, and two different Belleville desert boots (temperate and hot weather). The Blackhawks compare favorably to all of them.

Although these boots are more "sneakery" than other desert boots, to my eye, they are not as radical looking as, say, the Converse, 5.11, or Oakley desert boots (I'm speaking only of appearance, not fit or quality -- I don't know anything about the other brands I mention). They feature what Blackhawk calls "rubberized reinforcement" at toe and heel, like a running show, and an interesting Vibram sole in a style I've never encountered before. The tongue is padded but not too "fat," which I always dislike in boots.

I like boots with ankle support, but they typically become very warm (i.e., Red Wing-style work boots with thick leather shafts). Although these Blackhawks are not as 'cool' as the Belleville hot weather boots with Cordura shafts, or jungle boots with canvas shafts, they offer much more ankle support than the other military-style boots I own. In my own limited experience, only specialized hiking boots in the $150+ range offer more ankle support yet still offer the kind of traction I get from this boot.

The insole is very pillowy, like a sneaker, but the outsole is quite firm (I expected it to be more rubbery, like a running shoe). The fit is definitely more like a sneaker than a combat boot, however. I wear a "W" or "EE" width in combat and work boots and usually have a little space to allow for my foot to swell as I walk around. These boots are labeled wide width but are definitely more narrow than my combat boots; still, like a sneaker, the padding and other design features seem to keep them comfortable. I haven't worn them for longer than about 3 miles at one stretch, but they seem to remain comfortable despite the relatively narrow fit. Time will tell.

My only complaint was the stock laces, which were fat and seemed both slippery and not very sturdy. I replaced them with Danner brand laces intended for 'normal' desert boots.

Final note: These boots were originally sold only in a color scheme Blackhawk called "coyote tan" but which looks more like a two-tone color scheme to me. They are now also available in "desert tan," which is the color of my boots. I mention this because when I ordered my pair from Brigade Quartermaster, their site showed photos of the coyote tan model. However, the order was fulfilled by Blackhawk, and the boots they drop-shipped to me were desert tan. I actually prefer the desert tan, but anyone ordering a pair should confirm with their vendor the color they are buying if the Web site or catalog is unclear.

481634837_504ff13a32.jpg

481634843_6386a3e09f.jpg

481634833_b7dfae6523.jpg

481634829_777e365fe0.jpg

481634793_b261cbb21a.jpg

Great pics - thanks. I'm thinking of picking up a pair of the Light Assault boots myself...

same here
my old crap combat boots are killing me when i go back in for reservist duty
would be great to have something that doesn't make my feet feel like they've been through the grinder
what is Wide? how do you tell if you need W or M?

DEA,

I've been wearing a size 11W (or 11EE) my whole adult life so I guess whatever the industry standard is for that size, it equals my foot pretty well.

I know Altama and some of the the other boot manufacturers note on their Web sites that they tactical or duty boots tend to be narrower than their combat boots. I'd use that rule of thumb with most boot purchases, but if you want an exact measurement of your foot, you might go into a shoe store fancy enough to have a foot measurement machine -- Red Wing Shoe stores typically have them.

That second picture looks like they're in "foliage green" (or "ACU puke" as i refer to it as). How is the fit out of the box? How did you find right size? I ask this stuff because my shoes vary in sizes from 10-11 depending on the manufacturer.

Anyone here seen what's going to be the latest AF issue boot? Not black, not tan, not coyote brown...its green:confused:

Hammer27,

I adjusted the contrast on the second pic to make it more clear -- the color was shifted. The other photos are much more representative of how the books look in 'real life.'

As I wrote above, the fit is more narrow than other combat boots I've bought but I have a wide foot and, usually 11W fits me well enough. I'd compare the fit to a sneaker in terms of width. In terms of length, it seems like a proper 11 length to me.

The new USAF Airman Battle Uniform is a pixelated greenish tiger stripe pattern that will require new greenish color boots.

AF press release on new uniform

New boots available from Belleville

Back