First K9 Knives Production Run - Work In Progress Pics

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Ok guys...the time has come.

Tom Krein and I have been working hard on developing some prototypes and here's the first one!

The idea is to put together an extremely high performance set of knives where the goal is function and design.

A lot of thought has been put into these knife designs - we've taken basic ideas/patterns and added options & features that enhance them while creating a whole new style of knife.

To say I'm excited about this venture is an extreme UnderStatement! :eek: :eek:

We are finally at a spot where we feel comfortable with the design and the quality. These knives are going to be mid-tech at first and then full production as we build the company over time. More important, though, is that they will all be made here in the grand ole USA. :thumbup:

Over the next few days, you'll have the opportunity to tune in and watch the progress of the first prototype.

Here is a pic to start us off:

k9knives1203-04.jpg

Specs:

10.5" overall, 5" blade, 1/4" thick.
The steel will be 3V :thumbup:

Stay tuned to see more options.

:thumbup:

Dan

I'll take it!! :D Looks great, good luck and I look forward to seeing more pics.

Tom & Dan, look forward to more step by step photos,
All the best to both of you.
Jim

I get a kick from posting Work-In-Progress Pics. It is not a burden...it's a pleasure!

We'll definitely keep you posted here and on the Mailing List. :thumbup:

Hi Guys, I like your business plan and the design of this first product. Let me make a suggestion. Maybe you could offer a couple different steel choices for some of your designs. That isn't the commonest approach for a production knife, but is sometimes seen. AG Russell has put out versions of his Deer Hunter knives in a variety of alloys and Sal Glesser has used the Calypso Junior to showcase several different steels. I own several versions of both of these. Likewise I own Buck Vanguard knives in BG42, S30V and 420HC-with nitride coating.

The acute edge profile on this prototype immediately makes me long for a version in a finer-grained steel. I start itching for an O1 version for example. After all, I already have a 3V Bushcraft on order and I need to taste something different.

My personal favorite knives are true hunting/skinning knives with approximately 4 inch blade length. Here in Colorado the favorite big game is elk. You need a reasonably long knife that holds an edge well if you do much processing with your belt knife. Sometimes you need to quarter that animal just to get it out. I really like BG42 for this. This is a nice application for upscale blades.

Jeff,
I know where you are coming from and eventually we MAY offer some different choices in steel.

For now we looked at it and decided that we needed to stick with one steel at first and CPM 3V was our choice by a long shot! It really is good stuff! After you get your CPM 3V bushcraft knife from Dan, you might change your mind on wanting a different steel!!:D

I have had customers sell of there other knives from me after getting their first blade in CPM 3V and order the same knives in CPM 3V!

If we do offer another steel option down the road we will probably lean towards and air hardening stainless....

Tom

That is almost exactally what I am looking for. A 5" blade with a good size handle in 3V. How did you guys know? When will we get a peak at one available for sale?

rgc

Tom, Dan - Looks great! I am looking forward to seeing many more from K9!

How much will this beast put me back for? if and when I get it.....:D

That's my kind of knife, it's got the look :thumbup:
First one in some kind of handle and the next one in a different kind of handle. :D Now I know what my first two knife handles are going to be: One of each!
Hope they will come out soon!:thumbup::thumbup:

I really like the knives, but I have to say... I think that I would prefer a CHINESE* model :p

So this is more of a business venture.., will the knives be CNC constructed?

*this is intended as a joke.

LOL!!!!!

:D :D :p :p

Go Chinese!!!

:D

The blades will be waterjet cut, ground out by a machine shop, heat-treated by Paul Bos. The handle material will also be waterjet cut. For this first run, we'll be doing the handle shaping....in the future, the handles will be fully 3D milled, ready to bolt on. :thumbup:

expect to part with 2-3 clams, my friends!!! :D

any word on edge geometry? what i'd NOT like to see is artificially "thick" edges on a production blade so the idiots of the world won't destroy the edge by hacking up nails and toilet bowls on purpose. IMO the majority of the people who will buy these knives, at this price point (3V is quite expensive), will respect the sanctity of a sharp edge. or at least i hope. :D

what i'd NOT like to see is artificially "thick" edges on a production blade so the idiots of the world won't destroy the edge by hacking up nails and toilet bowls on purpose

Dan knows how to make a sharp blade, and people send their own knives in to Tom to get the edge thinned out so they cut. I doubt these guys are looking to make sharpened prybars. :D

Dan knows how to make a sharp blade, and people send their own knives in to Tom to get the edge thinned out so they cut. I doubt these guys are looking to make sharpened prybars. :D

Exactly! :D

These are going to CUT and CUT well! Think a final edge in the .020-.030" range!!

Tom

Exactly! :D

These are going to CUT and CUT well! Think a final edge in the .020-.030" range!!

Tom

:D

oh and btw i never meant that dan and tom make "sharpened prybars" i was just hoping they won't "dumb down" their edges because a lot of "production" knives DON'T have thin geometry for various reasons.

Back