First knife ever

This is my first ever attempt at making a knife. It is made of B16 material. It was scrap we had at work. Handle is oak. The next will be greatly improved.
uRAYOkr.jpg

Talk us through what you did and what you learned to do or not to do next time.
Learn something from every knife you make or break.

Well, let's see. I rough cut the blade and profiled it. The taper is a full taper, from the spine to the edge. I polished it some, but thought it would be better to do after HT. I made a forge from an old grill. It is lined with plaster of Paris and perilite. Also it has an air pipe going into it. I hook up my vacuum to it and it works great. I heated the B16 material to non magnetic and kept it there for a minute. Then dunked it in some veggie oil.

I will try to do a better job of documenting the process.

Are there places on here that talk about pinning handles? I am new to the site.

Not too bad! Excellent first try.

If I can make a recommendation, you might find your proportions in design improve if you model your knife design in cardboard first. Gives you a chance to see how the design fits in hand without requiring any grinding.

Not too bad! Excellent first try.

If I can make a recommendation, you might find your proportions in design improve if you model your knife design in cardboard first. Gives you a chance to see how the design fits in hand without requiring any grinding.
I agree. The next knife came out much better.
The pins are a little to close to the edges of the scales though.
5UWxiVj.jpg

I agree. The next knife came out much better.
The pins are a little to close to the edges of the scales though.
5UWxiVj.jpg
Very nice work. How did you do your pins? Do you brad them, or maybe even use epoxy? I use old hacksaw blades and make chintzy little mini knives, just for fun. I epoxy brass grounding wire and sand them down.

Looking good, especially for a first and second try. Having a nice, even finish to your blade is something that can definitely make an amateur knife look professional, so kudos to you for working on the polish on that second blade! A little handle tip, I noticed you have what looks to be a little extra glue on the ricasso that squeezed out from under the handle scales on the second one. You can use a q-tip or small bit of paper towel soaked in acetone to dissolve that glue away while it is still drying.

-Grant

Why so thick? Did ya make the micarta on the third?

I used what I had. I will be ordering more in a week or two. I believe I will try some 1080 in 1/8 or 1095 in 5/32. Opinions On material and thickness are appreciated.

Yes I did make the micarta on the 3rd knife. I am going to see how well it holds up before using homemade micarta again.

Home made mycarta can be very durable. If done well. The things a guy and his brother will do on a Thanksgiving morning while the ladies are working on dinner.

YlHIw4Q.jpg

jhjLV4c.jpg

YsvKQKv.jpg

For the vast majority of my knives I use 1/8" steel. Even some hunters I'll stick to 1/8" stock. I will use 5/32" on most larger knives including bowies, camp knives, hunters and skinners. Kitchen knives and leather knives I will start at .070 and often grind thinner.

1/8" stock (AEB-L) hunter with mesquite handles and full flat grind:

FZwYhQJ.jpg

P4MCi38.jpg

The thinness makes it an excellent cutter and slicer.

I believe you talked me in to 1/8 inch steel. I will be ordering it from admiral steel. I have not found anywhere here in louisville that carries 1095 or 1080. I appruciate all of your advice. One last question. Hot rolled or cold rolled annealed?

Look at New Jersey Steel Baron and or Alpha Knife Supply. Both are members here and support this site. I buy all my non damascus steel from one or the other. Look at 1084. makes a great knife and easy to get the heat treat right.

Back